Page for Academic Positions in Social Work that begin in 2019.
Let's do this! Try to stick to a few guidelines when posting to keep things consistent:
- Post information about the position (or positions) including rank, source of information, and desired specialties.
- Update when you know if a school has announced or cancelled a search, done preliminary interviews, invited candidates out for job talks, or made offers, even if this information is anecdotal (but please note that it's anecdotal if it is)!
- Add date of posting to information whenever possible.
- Please Use "Heading 3" when adding names of schools to this page.
A couple of features of this page, based on additional posts from past years:
- There are two general sections:
- Discussion: Post other job search related information here. In the past, topics have included:
- Tally of number of people checking this page
- Information about salaries offered relative to cost of living.
- Information about the number of places people have applied, number of initial interviews received, number of campus visits/job talks, and number of offers.
- Info on regular teaching load for each institution (e,g., 3 courses/semester is a 3-3 teaching load)
- Please feel free to add topics here!
- List of Schools: Post information about positions, here: FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS ACADEMIC, PLEASE DATE YOUR POSTS!
Check out last year's page HERE.
RECENT ACTIVITY on Social Work 2018-2019 Wiki Edit
- Loading RSS data...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Social_Work_2018-2019?feed=rss&action=history
How many people are updating or monitoring this page?Edit
ABD (Early): 3
ABD (On the market): 13
Postdoctoral Fellow: 2
Visiting Professor: 1
Ratio of applications: 1st round interviews: Campus visits: Offers (example: 16:8:4:2)Edit
List of Schools: Update when you have information! Edit
Adelphi University (NY)Edit
Akron University (OH)Edit
Alabama A&M University (AL)Edit
- Position 1: Assistant/Associate/Professor of Social Work
- CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
- CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
Appalachian State University (NC)Edit
Arizona State University (AZ)Edit
Auburn University (AL)Edit
- Tenure-Track Professor (Open Rank) - Social Work
- Review of applications will begin September 1, 2018.
- Note: they were looking for a visiting instructor for 2018-2019.
Augsburg College (MN)Edit
Azusa Pacific University (CA)Edit
Barry University (FL)Edit
Baylor University (TX) - Diana R. Garland School of Social WorkEdit
Bennett College (NC)Edit
Binghamton University, SUNY (NY)Edit
Boise State University (ID)Edit
Boston College (MA)Edit
- Open rank, tenure-track, starting July 1, 2019
- Apply at Interfolio
- Application review begins September 2018, application deadline February 1, 2019.
- Interested in candidates with scholarship in clinical & behavioral interventions with diverse minority and disadvantaged communities
Boston University (MA)Edit
Bowling Green State University (OH)Edit
Bridgewater State University (MA)Edit
Bryn Mawr College (PA)Edit
- TT Assistant Professor of Social Work (begin Aug. 2019)
- To apply for this position, candidates must submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy, and research statement by October 18, 2018 to the GSSWSR Search Committee via Interfolio at: https://apply.interfolio.com/52231.
Buffalo State College, SUNY (NY)Edit
- Asst. Professor of Social Work
- Anticipated Date of Hire: 09/01/2019. Open Until Filled [posted 7/13/18].
California State University, Bakersfield (CA)Edit
California State University, Channel Islands (CA)Edit
California State University, East Bay (CA)Edit
California State University, Fresno (CA)Edit
California State University Fullerton (CA)Edit
- The Department of Social Work at California State University, Fullerton (CSUF), invites applications for Assistant or Associate Professor. This is a 10-month full-time tenure-track position to begin Fall 2019.
- Application review begins immediately. To ensure full consideration, application materials must be submitted by November 15, 2018. Position is open until filled.
California State University, Long Beach (CA)Edit
California State University, Los Angeles (CA)Edit
California State University, Monterey Bay (CA)Edit
California State University, Northridge (CA)Edit
California State University, Sacramento (CA)Edit
California State University, Stanislaus (CA)Edit
Calvin College (MI)Edit
Carleton University (CAN)Edit
Carthage College (WI)Edit
Case Western Reserve University (OH)Edit
Castleton University (VT)Edit
- Tenure-track beginning August 2019, with the possibility of January 2019 for the right candidate.
- The successful candidate will teach four courses per semester, including on-site field instruction, Practice II, History & Philosophy of Social Work, Introduction to Human Services, Senior Capstone Seminar, and one course related to faculty interest and experience.
- University Job Posting
Catholic University of America (DC)Edit
Central Connecticut State University (CT)Edit
Centre College (KY)Edit
Clemson University (SC)Edit
Cleveland State University (OH)Edit
College of New Rochelle (NY)Edit
College of Staten Island, CUNY (NY)Edit
Colorado State University (CO)Edit
- TT Assistant Professor - School of Social Work (2 Positions)
- To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by 11:59pm (MT) on 08/31/2018.
Columbia University (NY)Edit
DePaul University (IL)Edit
East Carolina University (NC)Edit
Eastern Connecticut State University (CT)Edit
Eastern Michigan University (MI)Edit
Eastern Washington University (WA)Edit
East Tennessee State University (TN)Edit
Fairfield University (CT)Edit
Fayetteville State University (NC)Edit
Florida Atlantic University (FL)Edit
Florida Gulf Coast University (FL)Edit
Florida International University (FL)Edit
Florida State University (FL)Edit
Fordham University (NY)Edit
Franciscan University of Steubenville (OH)Edit
Georgia Regents University - Augusta (GA)Edit
Georgia State University (Atlanta, GA)Edit
George Mason University (VA)Edit
Governor's State University Illinois (IL)Edit
Grand Valley State University (MI)Edit
Hawaii Pacific University (HI)Edit
Hope College (MI)Edit
Howard University (DC)Edit
Humboldt State University (CA)Edit
Hunter College, CUNY (NY)Edit
Idaho State University (ID)Edit
Illinois State University (IL)Edit
Indiana University (IN)Edit
Indiana University, Northwest (IN)Edit
Kansas State University (KS)Edit
Kennesaw State University (GA)Edit
Lehman College, CUNY (NY)Edit
Lewis-Clark State College (ID)Edit
Loma Linda University (CA)Edit
Long Island University (NY)Edit
Louisiana State University (LA)Edit
Loyola University Chicago (IL)Edit
Madonna University (MI)Edit
Marist College (NY)Edit
- Assistant Professor, tenure track: start August 2019
- Posted 8/1/18
Marshall University (WV)Edit
Mars Hill University (NC)Edit
Marywood University (PA)Edit
Metropolitan State University, Denver (CO)Edit
Miami University of Ohio (OH)Edit
Michigan State University (MI)Edit
Millersville University (PA)Edit
Missouri State University (MO)Edit
Montclair State University (NJ)Edit
Nazareth College (NY)Edit
New York University (NY)Edit
North Carolina State University (NC)Edit
Northeastern Illinois University (IL)Edit
Northern Arizona University (AZ)Edit
Northern Kentucky UniversityEdit
Nyack College (NY)Edit
- 2 tenure-track positions: Clinical Assistant or Associate Professor
- Positions beginning January 2019
- University Job Posting : Jobs were posted for August 2018 hire, still open
- Please submit a letter of application outlining your practice and teaching experience, curriculum vitae, three letters of reference, and a completed Faculty Application to:
- Dr. Janet E. Furness, LMSW, Ed.D., ACSW
Director of Master of Social Work
Professor of Social Work
Nyack College Manhattan Campus 2 Washington Street
NY, NY 10004
- Submissions may also be e-mailed to: email@example.com
- Dr. Janet E. Furness, LMSW, Ed.D., ACSW
Oakland University (MI)Edit
Ohio State University (OH)Edit
Ohio University (OH)Edit
Our Lady of the Lake University (TX)Edit
Pacific University (OR)Edit
Pacific Lutheran University (WA)Edit
- Assistant, tenure-track, beginning September 1, 2019
- Teach undergraduate courses in macro practice, policy, field seminar, introductory social work classes, and elective(s) or interdisciplinary programs such as First Year Experience (FYEP) or International Honors (IHON)
- University Job Posting
Plattsburgh, SUNY (NY)Edit
Plymouth State University (NH)Edit
Portland State University (OR)Edit
Providence College (RI)Edit
- The Providence College Department of Social Work invites applicants for the position of a tenure-track Assistant Professor in its baccalaureate level social work department commencing in August 2019.
- Review of applications will begin September 1, 2018 and will continue until December 1, 2018. Applications received by December 1 will receive full consideration.
Quinnipiac University (CT)Edit
Richard Stockton College (NJ)Edit
Rhode Island College (RI)Edit
Rutgers University (NJ)Edit
- 1st Position
- Assistant Research Professor (non-tenure track)
- Application due 8/15/18, but the ad just posted on 8/9/18
- The successful candidate will work at the Center on Violence Against Women & Children (VAWC)
- 2nd Position
- Open Rank Tenure-Track
- Particular interest in scholars in the areas of:
- Substance use disorders
- Digital innovation and technology in social work
Ryerson University (CAN)Edit
Sacred Heart University (CT)Edit
Saint Louis University (MO)Edit
Salem State University (MA)Edit
- Faculty, Social Work (MSW), Full-Time, Tenure-Track, Fall 2019
- "Teaching assignments will depend upon the expertise of the candidate and programmatic needs, but may include courses in practice, human behavior, field education seminars and/or elective opportunities aligned with our new specialization in Integrated Health and Behavioral Health Practice."
- Posted 7/26/2018. Closes 10/25/18.
Salisbury University (MD) Edit
- Assistant or Associate
- 2 full-time, tenure-track positions, beginning August 2019
- Priority application deadline October 18, 2018.
- 24 credit hours per year, grad & undergrad
- HigherEdJobs Link
Samford University (AL)Edit
San Diego State University (CA)Edit
San Jose State University (CA)Edit
Seattle University (WA)Edit
Simmons College (MA)Edit
Skidmore College (NY)Edit
Slippery Rock University (PA)Edit
- Slippery Rock University invites applications for a full time, tenure track faculty member in the Department of Public Health and Social Work beginning January 2019.
- Application Due: 08/31/2018.
Smith College (MA)Edit
Southern Connecticut State University (CT)Edit
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville (IL)Edit
Springfield College (MA)Edit
St. Cloud State University (MN)Edit
St. Edward's University (TX)Edit
St. Olaf College (MN)Edit
St. Thomas/St. Catherine's (MN)Edit
Stephen F. Austin State University (TX)Edit
Stony Brook University, SUNY (NY)Edit
- posted 7/17/2018: https://careers.cswe.org/job/assistant-associate-professor-tenure-track/42299977/?utm_campaign=jobseeker-job-alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_source=daily-alert&utm_term=new-job
- "Must be able to teach in at least one of the priority areas (social determinants of health, gerontology, social work practice, family and children, race, poverty, and inclusion)"
- Posting Start Date:06/28/2018
- Posting End Date:11/10/2018
- Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 11/10/2018, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
Syracuse University (NY)Edit
Tarleton State University (TX)Edit
Temple University (PA)Edit
The Temple University School of Social Work invites applications for early career tenure track faculty. We seek individuals committed to collaborative, interdisciplinary research in social work, public health and other aligned disciplines who address disparities in social determinants of health, improve university engagement with communities, contribute to the evidence base in social work, and advance social justice.
Qualifications. Applicants should have an earned doctorate in social work, social welfare, public health or a relevant social science discipline and have a research agenda appropriate to a research-intensive university. Individuals should demonstrate interest in working across disciplines to understand and intervene in factors that shape the health of individuals, families and communities with a particular interest in health disparity populations. Preferred candidates hold the rank of assistant professor or are completing a postdoctoral position and should be able to demonstrate both involvement in funded projects, and strong potential to obtain external funding as independent researchers. We value diversity and seek individuals committed to inclusive practices in education. Compensation, benefits and start-up are competitive.
- Chronicle (posted 7/19/18). Review begins immediately.
Texas A & M University (TX)Edit
Texas Christian University (TX)Edit
Texas State University (TX)Edit
Texas Tech University (TX)Edit
Tufts University (MA)Edit
Tulane University (LA)Edit
Tuskegee University (AL)Edit
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa (AL)Edit
University of Alabama at Birmingham (AL)Edit
University of Alaska, Anchorage (AK)Edit
University of Arkansas, Little Rock (AR)Edit
University of Arkansas, Fayetteville (AR)Edit
University at Albany, SUNY (NY)Edit
University at Buffalo, SUNY (NY)Edit
University of British Columbia - Vancouver (CAN)Edit
- Director of the School of Social Work, with an anticipated start date of July 1, 2019. We expect that the successful candidate will have a record of research publications and scholarship activity commensurate with appointment at the rank of full Professor; however, exceptional candidates at the senior Associate Professor level also will be considered.
- Review of applications will begin on October 9, 2018, and will continue until the position is filled.
University of British Columbia - Kelowna (CAN)Edit
University of Calgary (CAN)Edit
University of California, Berkeley (CA)Edit
University of California, Los Angeles (CA)Edit
University of Central Florida (FL)Edit
University of Chicago (IL)Edit
University of Cincinnati - Blue Ash College (OH)Edit
University of Connecticut (CT)Edit
University of Denver (CO)Edit
- We have a request pending for additional tenure/tenure track positions to begin September 2019. We should know about the status of those requests (i.e., if they are approved, how many are approved, at what level) by late August.
University of Georgia (GA)Edit
University of Hawaii at Manoa (HI)Edit
University of Houston (TX)Edit
- UofH will be hiring a tenure-track Assistant Professor. The ad has not been published.
- Looks like the ad was published, then removed.
University of Illinois at Chicago (IL) - Jane Addams College of Social WorkEdit
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (IL)Edit
University of Iowa (IA)Edit
- The University of Iowa, School of Social Work seeks dynamic candidates for a tenure-track assistant professor position (9-month academic year appointment) beginning in August 2019. Candidates should demonstrate potential for a strong research agenda in gerontological social work.
- The Search Committee will start reviewing the applications on October 1st. Submit applications online at http://jobs.uiowa.edu/faculty/view/73180 . Refer to requisition number #73180. Please do not mail paper applications.
University of Kansas (KS)Edit
University of Kentucky (KY)Edit
University of Louisville (KY)Edit
University of Maine, Orono (ME)Edit
University of Maryland Baltimore (MD)Edit
Applications are now being accepted for multiple tenure track faculty positions at the assistant, associate, or full professor level. All candidates must have an earned doctorate in social work or a related social or health science discipline and a commitment to exemplary research that yields high quality scholarship with extramural funding potential. Faculty with any of the following areas of research expertise are most strongly encouraged to apply: practice or services research with lowincome and under-served individuals and families; health and behavioral health disparities; behavioral health integration and financing; housing and economic stability; and violence prevention and intervention. An MSW with two years of practice, program, or policy experience is preferred for those expecting to teach in those areas. We are also seeking applicants with exceptionally strong quantitative skills (e.g., for causal modeling, simulation, and Bayesian analysis) and the ability to teach PhD students. Applicants at the associate and full professor level must have substantial evidence of leadership, an innovative research agenda, and competitive extramural support. Senior faculty should also have experience mentoring junior faculty.
- For best consideration, applications should be submitted by October 1, 2018; the search will remain open until filled. Salary and rank are commensurate with qualifications. Positions will start July 1, 2019 with the possibility of an earlier or later appointment, if preferred. Candidates should submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org: (1) a letter of application describing research, scholarship, and teaching experience and capability; (2) a curriculum vitae; (3) three recent scholarly papers; and (4) names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references. The University of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Visit our website at http://www.ssw.umaryland.edu.
- Question: Does anyone have any advice on the "three recent scholarly papers"? I'm not sure if they want solo-authored only, published or non-published, etc. Thoughts?
University of Maryland, Baltimore County (MD)Edit
University of Memphis (TN)Edit
University of Michigan (MI)Edit
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (MN)Edit
University of Minnesota - Duluth (MN)Edit
- Social Work Assistant or Associate Professor Tenure Track
- Completed online applications will be considered beginning October 1, 2018. Finalists may be required to submit additional materials. The position will remain open until filled. The starting date is August 19, 2019. Please send any inquiries to Dr. Jennifer McCleary at email@example.com
University of Mississippi (MS)Edit
University of Missouri (MO)Edit
University of Missouri at St. Louis (MO)Edit
University of Missouri, Kansas City (MO)Edit
University of Montana (MT)Edit
University of Nebraska at Kearney (NE)Edit
University of Nebraska at Omaha (NE)Edit
University of Nevada, Las Vegas (NV)Edit
- Two postings currently listed on their website that are dated from last year, so I'm assuming they must still be open
- They are developing a trauma treatment clinic attached to their MSW program and have plans to start a PhD program
- Child Welfare, Assistant Professor, Greenspun College of Urban Affairs 
- Trauma, Assistant/Associate/Full Professor, Greenspun College of Urban Affairs 
University of Nevada, Reno (NV)Edit
University of New Hampshire (NH)Edit
University of North Carolina at Greensboro (NC)Edit
University of North Carolina at Charlotte (NC)Edit
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (NC)Edit
University of North Carolina at Pembroke (NC)Edit
University of North Carolina at Wilmington (NC)Edit
University of North Dakota (ND)Edit
University of North Florida (FL)Edit
University of North Texas (TX)Edit
University of Northern Iowa (IA)Edit
- 2 positions-full consideration apply by 11/12/18.
- NOTE: Cindy Juby advised that if you are interested in both positions, that you should complete both applications.
University of Oklahoma (OK)Edit
University of Oklahoma - Tulsa Campus (OK)Edit
University of Pennsylvania (PA)Edit
University of Pittsburgh (PA)Edit
University of Saint Joseph (PA)Edit
University of South Carolina (SC)Edit
- 7/24/18: The College of Social Work at the University of South Carolina invites applications for one or more tenure track faculty positions in social work at the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor. Candidates with a research focus on child welfare are especially encouraged to apply. We seek applicants who can contribute to the College’s mission to advance the health and social well-being of vulnerable populations through transdisciplinary, community-engaged teaching, research, and service. Qualifications: The position requires a doctoral degree, though ABDs may be considered with evidence that the doctoral degree will be completed by the beginning date of employment. The successful candidate will demonstrate potential for excellence in teaching and a strong capacity for research productivity and scholarly impact. Compensation: Salary is highly competitive, and the University of South Carolina offers a robust benefits package described at: http://www.sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/human_resources/benefits/index.php
- How to Apply: Applicants should submit electronically a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and a list of three references to: http://uscjobs.sc.edu/postings/35707. Inquiries about this position may be made to Dr. Teri Browne, Search Committee Chair at: firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (803) 777‐5298.
- Open Until Filled.
University of South Florida (FL)Edit
University of Southern California (CA)Edit
University of Southern Indiana (IN)Edit
University of Southern Maine (ME)Edit
University of Southern Mississippi (MS)Edit
University of Tennessee, Knoxville - Nashville satellite campus (TN)Edit
University of Tennessee Martin (TN)Edit
University of Texas at Austin (TX)Edit
University of Texas at Arlington (TX)Edit
University of Texas at San Antonio (TX)Edit
University of Toronto (CAN)Edit
University of Utah (UT)Edit
University of Vermont (VT)Edit
University of Washington - Seattle (WA)Edit
University of Washington - Tacoma (WA)Edit
University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (WI)Edit
University of Wisconsin-Madison (WI)Edit
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee (WI)Edit
University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire (WI)Edit
University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (WI)Edit
- TT Assistant Professor of Social Work
- Anticipated Appointment Date: January 21, 2019.
- Deadline: To ensure consideration, completed online applications must be received by end of day, 11:59 pm, on August 24, 2018. However, screening may continue until the needs of the recruitment are met.