Page for Academic Positions in Social Work that begin in 2017.
Let's do this! Try to stick to a few guidelines when posting to keep things consistent:
- Post information about the position (or positions) including rank, source of information, and desired specialties.
- Update when you know if a school has announced or cancelled a search, done preliminary interviews, invited candidates out for job talks, or made offers, even if this information is anecdotal (but please note that it's anecdotal if it is)!
- Add date of posting to information whenever possible.
- Please Use "Heading 3" when adding names of schools to this page.
A couple of features of this page, based on additional posts from past years:
- There are two general sections:
- Discussion: Post other job search related information here. In the past, topics have included:
- Tally of number of people checking this page
- Information about salaries offered relative to cost of living.
- Information about the number of places people have applied, number of initial interviews received, number of campus visits/job talks, and number of offers.
- Please feel free to add topics here!
- List of Schools: Post information about positions, here:
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS ACADEMIC, PLEASE DATE YOUR POSTS!
RECENT ACTIVITY on Social Work 2016-17 Wiki Edit
- Loading RSS data...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Social_Work_2016-2017?feed=rss&action=history
How many people are updating or monitoring this page?Edit
ABD (Early): 3
ABD (On the market): 13
Postdoctoral Fellow: 6
Assistant Professor: 6
Other:1 (adjunct assistant professor)
Which Universities are people familiar with that have either a focus on or a strong respect for QUALITATIVE research?Edit
- I know that Rutgers has hired a few really strong qualitative researchers in the past couple of years
- There has been a call for increased qualitative methodology by several big funders (including NIH), so I would say it is likely that a good qualitative researcher would be appreciated many places, even if they don't currently have a strong qualitative focus/respect
- ASU has several strong qualitative researchers, and great respect for qualitative research (and 3 faculty positions posted!)
Salaries offered - helpful to list with school ranking (R1 or teaching)and cost of living:Edit
Ratio of applications: 1st round interviews: Campus visits: Offers (example: 16:8:4:2)Edit
16:1:?:? - 9/22/2016
19:1:?:? - 9/19/16
List of Schools: Update when you have information!Edit
Akron University (Ohio)Edit
Arizona State UniversityEdit
- 3 positions at the Assistant or Associate rank. Search committee is open to all interest areas; looking for great colleagues and strong researchers! (7/31/16)
Augsburg College (MN)Edit
Azusa Pacific UniversityEdit
- -Join us in sunny Florida! Hiring TT Assistant Prof with desired focus in trauma-informed curriculum
Baylor University (TX)Edit
Bennett College (NC) Edit
Binghamton University, SUNYEdit
Boise State UniversityEdit
Boston University (MA)Edit
- They will be hiring this cycle. They announce sometime in July or August. - Do you know what their areas of specialization/research/focus will be? Thanks!
AD: The Boston University School of Social Work invites applications for one tenure-track Assistant Professor and one tenured Associate Professor position to join our faculty on July 1, 2017. Candidates with research/scholarly expertise and teaching interests and experience in the following areas are encouraged to apply:
- Trauma and Violence - Interpersonal and/or Community Perspectives
- Clinical Perspectives on Aging
- Clinical Practice in Health Settings
- Clinical Practice in Behavioral Health
Please submit a letter of application outlining research, scholarship and teaching skills and experience, as well as a current CV, sample publications/writings, teaching evaluations, and three letters of reference
- Due November 1. CSWE Jobs
Bridgewater State University (MA)Edit
Bryn Mawr College (PA)Edit
- TT Asst. Professor of Clinical Social Work
- Submit as pdf documents a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching philosophy and research statement by November 14, 2016 to the Graduate School of Social Work and Social Research Search Committee via Interfolio ByCommittee at: https://apply.interfolio.com/35962.
Buffalo State College, SUNY (NY) Edit
California State Unviersity, BakersfieldEdit
California State University, Channel IslandsEdit
- Assistant Professor position: Health Science interdisciplinary program. Ad will be posted in Fall here: https://www.csucifacultyjobs.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1464998863566
California State University, East BayEdit
California State University, FresnoEdit
California State University FullertonEdit
- 2 tenure track positions open; specialties requested in aging and childwelfare
California State University, Long BeachEdit
California State University, Los AngelesEdit
- Open Rank Professor, Tenured or Tenure-Track, School of Social Work
- Starting Date: Fall 2017
- Review of applications will begin October 1, 2016 and continue until position is filled.
California State University, Monterey BayEdit
California State University, NorthridgeEdit
California State University, SacramentoEdit
- - 2 TT instructional faculty jobs
- - Due October 3
- - Need cover letter, CV, statement on teaching philosophy and diversity, course evaluations, unofficial transcripts, and contact info for 3 references
- - 1 practice & policy: LINK
- - 1 health & aging/practice: LINK
California State University, StanislausEdit
Carleton University (Ottawa Canada)Edit
Carthage College (WI)Edit
Case Western Reserve University (OH)Edit
Catholic University of America (DC)Edit
Central Connecticut State UniversityEdit
Clemson University (SC)Edit
Cleveland State UniversityEdit
College of New RochelleEdit
College of Staten IslandEdit
Colorado State UniversityEdit
- Is Columbia hiring this year?
DePaul University Edit
East Carolina University Edit
Eastern Connecticut State University Edit
Eastern Michigan UniversityEdit
- Not hiring TT positions this year
Eastern Washington UniversityEdit
Fairfield University (CT)Edit
Florida Gulf Coast University Edit
Florida International UniversityEdit
Florida State University Edit
- -hiring TT
- -SSWR FSU
Fordham University Edit
- -Hiring Assistant TT; posting on CSWE: LINK
Georgia Regents University - Augusta Edit
Georgia State University (Atlanta)Edit
George Mason University (VA)Edit
- Hiring three positions this year: Title IV-E coordinator, Enochs Endowed Chair in Child Welfare, and tenure-track position.
Governor's State University IllinoisEdit
Grand Valley State University - Michigan Edit
Hawaii Pacific UniversityEdit
Hope College (MI)Edit
- TT Open Rank Professor of Social Work
- Applications received by August 15, 2016, will be assured full consideration: LINK
Humboldt State University (CA)Edit
- Faculty Tenure-Track Position starting August 2017 - Social Work (2 Positions)
- LINK: HigheredJobs.com
- These positions are open until filled. First consideration will be given to completed applications received no later than October 03, 2016. Early response is encouraged.
Hunter College, CUNY (NY)Edit
Idaho State UniversityEdit
Illinois State UniversityEdit
Indiana University, NorthwestEdit
Kansas State UniversityEdit
Lehman College, CUNY (NY)Edit
Lewis-Clark State CollegeEdit
Loma Linda UniversityEdit
Long Island UniversityEdit
Louisiana State UniversityEdit
Loyola University Chicago Edit
Marshall University (WV)Edit
- Assistant professor, posted July 5th on CSWE
- Full-time, 9 month, tenure track position. The department seeks candidates who will contribute to Marshall University´s MSW program with its emphasis on behavioral health. The MSW program is housed within the College of Health Professions which enhances the focus on interdisciplinary collaborations within the health professions The MSW program is engaging in the CSWE candidacy process and is on schedule for full accreditation review in February 2019. The program is seeking an individual who has a strong clinical background and teaching experience. This is an opportunity to be part of and influence a growing program. The successful candidate will teach social work graduate courses such as advanced practice, HBSE, research, policy, and other related classes. A background in teaching social work practice is a plus. The successful candidate will also be required to supervise/advise students, conduct research and engage in scholarly activities and service.
- A doctoral degree is required, but will consider those who are ABD. Also requires MSW and 2 years post MSW practice.
Mars Hill UniversityEdit
Marywood in PAEdit
Metropolitan State University, DenverEdit
Miami University, OhioEdit
Michigan State University (MI)Edit
Millersville University (PA) Edit
Minnesota State University - MankatoEdit
Montclair State University (NJ)Edit
- Director of the Center for Child Advocacy and Policy (open rank position)
- Link: CWSE
Nazareth College (Rochester, NY)Edit
New York UniversityEdit
North Carolina State UniversityEdit
Northeastern Illinois University (IL)Edit
Northern Kentucky UniversityEdit
Nyack College Edit
Ohio State University (OH)Edit
Ohio University Edit
Our Lady of the Lake University, San Antonio, TX Edit
Pacific University (OR)Edit
- - Assistant Professor
- - Will teach 5 courses per year across spectrum of generalist practice
- To apply, please email a cover letter, CV, statement of your teaching philosophy, letters from three professional references, and evidence of teaching effectiveness in PDF format addressed to Dr. Don Schweitzer, Ph.D. Please email materials to email@example.com. Review will begin immediately and interviews will take place during November 2016.
Plattsburg (SUNY) Edit
Portland State University Edit
Richard Stockton College at New JerseyEdit
Rhode Island CollegeEdit
Rutgers University (NJ)Edit
Hiring multiple TT positions for fall 2017 - Link on CSWE job boards (8/18/2016)
AD: Rutgers University School of Social Work seeks dynamic faculty members to join our productive faculty in continued expansion of the School’s innovative research programs, centers and institutes. We plan to add multiple faculty members to our tenure track faculty primarily at the assistant professor rank, though our search is open to candidates from all academic ranks. We seek highly productive scholars, entrepreneurial and innovative thinkers, with a strong commitment to social justice, public education and to social work research.
Candidates must have a PhD in social work or a related field; applicants who do not possess a PhD must have one by the start date. Candidates must also have a strong record of research and scholarship; a substantive area of research aligned with priority and or cluster areas within the school; and ability to teach in areas relevant to the MSW/BASW curriculum. Faculty are typically expected to teach two courses per semester in the School of Social Work; they must maintain an active record of scholarly publication and research; and participate in the civic and service activities of the school.
- Please apply by following this link http://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/30183 to the university’s online application system, and submitting a letter of interest, curriculum vita, writing sample and reference list. Search Chairs Laura Curran, PhD, MSW Director and Michael MacKenzie, PhD, Chancellor’s Scholar for Child Wellbeing, may be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sacred Heart University (CT)Edit
Saint Louis University (MO)Edit
- TT Asst. Professor
Salem State UniversityEdit
- Hiring full time TT to start Fall 2017: Posted on Higher Ed Jobs 6/16/2015
- Requires earned doctorate in social work or a closely related field, MSW from a CSWE-accredited program and minimum of two (2) years of post-MSW practice experience
- Record of scholarly productivity or professional impact in the field of social work in one or more of the following areas: Trauma, integrated health/behavioral health, diversity and oppression, children and families and/or older adults
- Experience in and commitment to teaching and mentoring in a multi-racial, multi-ethnic environment with students of diverse backgrounds and learning styles
San Diego State University (CA)Edit
San Jose State UniversityEdit
Southern Connecticut State UniversityEdit
Southern Illinois University EdwardsvilleEdit
St. Edward's University (TX)Edit
St. Olaf CollegeEdit
St. Thomas/St. Catherine'sEdit
Stephen F. Austin State UniversityEdit
Stony Brook University, SUNYEdit
Texas Christian University (TCU)Edit
- Assistant Professor of Professional Practice position (non-tenure track) beginning January 2017.
- Received e-mail to schedule video-conference interview (8/10)
- Video Conference Interview completed (8/19)
Texas A & M University (TX)Edit
Texas State University (TX)Edit
Texas Tech University (TX)Edit
- MSW Director at rank of Associate/full professor (CSWE career center)
- Associate Professor/MS Director Open Rank (CSWE career center)
University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa (AL)Edit
- One TT position
University of Alabama at BirminghamEdit
University of Alaska, AnchorageEdit
University of Arkansas, FayettevilleEdit
University at Albany Edit
University at BuffaloEdit
University of British Columbia (Vancouver, Canada)Edit
- posted openings for 2 Assistant Professor positions starting Jan 1, 2017 via CSWE website (6/14/16)
- invites applications from those with interests in health, mental health, child welfare, and inter-professional education and collaboration
- MSW & PhD required, 3-years post MSW practice required
- Deadline: August 10, 2016
- Is information available about the early 1/1 start date? Is dissertation defense required or preferred before that date?
University of Calgary (Calgary, AB, CanadaEdit
University of California, Berkeley (CA)Edit
- Not hiring TT positions this year
University of California, Los Angeles (CA)Edit
University of Central FloridaEdit
University of Chicago (IL)Edit
University of Cincinnati - Blue Ash College Edit
University of Connecticut (CT)Edit
- Hiring 2 TT positions: 1 Asst, 1 Asst/Assoc - job post at CSWE: http://careers.cswe.org/jobseeker/job/30393732/
University of Denver (CO)Edit
- Not hiring TT positions this year
University of GeorgiaEdit
University of Hawaii at ManoaEdit
University of Houston (TX)Edit
- -Hiring multiple lines: posting at CSWE: LINK
- -Focus on critical race issues
University of Illinois at Chicago (IL)Edit
University of Illinois at Urbana-ChampaignEdit
- 2 open rank tenure track positions available
- From posting "The School of Social Work invites applications for an open rank faculty position with a starting date of August 16, 2017. Applicants at all ranks and relevant disciplines will be considered. We are seeking faculty whose research and teaching focus on strategic needs across programs. This position is aligned with campus strategic priorities. Candidates can expect opportunities for transdisciplinary collaborations."
University of IowaEdit
University of Kansas (KS)Edit
University of Kentucky (KY)Edit
University of Louisville (KY)Edit
- -2 TT positions available
- To apply:
- A cover letter
- Your Curriculum Vitae
- A teaching and research statement
- Reference list that includes the name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address for three references
- Sample of written work (upload under 'other document')
- - Applications due 10/15/16.
- Contacted for Skype interview Sept 2016x2 -9/23/16
University of Maine, Orono Edit
University of Maryland BaltimoreEdit
University of Maryland, Baltimore CountyEdit
University of MichiganEdit
- Three open rank positions posted, one additional job at the professor rank, and one position open that is combined with urban studies for community work in Detroit. 8/8/16
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (MN)Edit
University of Minnesota - Duluth (UMD)Edit
- Will be hiring one TT position to begin August 2017.
University of MississippiEdit
University of Missouri (MO)Edit
University of Missouri at St. Louis Edit
University of Missouri, Kansas City Edit
University of MontanaEdit
- - Missoula, MT
- - one TT (open rank)
- - Required: PhD/ABD, MSW + 2 yrs practice exp., evidence of research & scholarly productivity, interest in rural/developing communities; ability to teach in 2+ curricular areas at BSW & MSW levels
- - Deadline September 15
- - Need cover letter, CV, 3 references
- - via HigherEdjobs.com
University of Nebraska at KearneyEdit
University of Nebraska at OmahaEdit
University of Nevada, Las VegasEdit
University of Nevada, RenoEdit
University of New HampshireEdit
- Two New Tenure Track Positions: (1) Open Rank (Assistant, Associate/Full); (2) Rank, Assistant Professor
- Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, review of applications will commence by September 1, 2016.
University of North Carolina at GreensboroEdit
University of North Carolina at Charlotte Edit
University of North Carolina at Chapel HillEdit
- Assistant or Associate TT position, review of applications will commence by 10/15/2016, postition start date is 7/1/2017
- LINK: https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/103753
- Contacted for Skype interview (9/23) x4
University of North Carolina at WilmingtonEdit
University of North DakotaEdit
- - will be posting for one TT line, MSW + PhD/ABD, post-MSW practice exp
University of North FloridaEdit
University of North TexasEdit
University of Northern IowaEdit
- Tenure track position at the rank of Assistant Professor.
- Responsibilities include teaching three course sections per semester.
- Required: MSW from a CSWE-accredited program with at least two years of post-MSW direct practice experience (individual, family or group) plus doctorate in social work or related area; ABDs will be considered with evidence of degree completion by spring 2017.
- Previous teaching experience; ability to teach online; and areas of distinction in teaching, scholarship or community engagement including rural populations, health, trauma and/or child welfare also preferred.
University of OklahomaEdit
University of Oklahoma (Tulsa Campus)Edit
- Especially interested in candidates who can contribute, through their research, teaching and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community and who build collaborative ties with other departments within the school and university.
- Announcement here (8/18)
University of PennsylvaniaEdit
- Hiring open rank - job posting may be found here: https://chroniclevitae.com/jobs/0000320245-01
University of PittsburghEdit
University of St. Joseph (CT)Edit
- Assistant professor witth Veteran specialization posted 7/7 on CSWE
- An MSW and an earned doctorate in social work or closely related field
- 2 or more years of post-MSW social work practice experience, preferably with culturally diverse communities
- Higher education teaching experience
- Ability to teach clinical practice courses
- Record of engaged research, preferably on issues related to veteran/military experiences
- Expertise in veteran’s issues and services
- Eligibility for clinical social work licensure preferred
- We seek a creative, innovative, and collaborative faculty member with a commitment to advancing clinical social work practice with veterans and their families. Qualified applicants will demonstrate strong teaching and research skills; the ability to engage collaboratively with department and community colleagues; experience in developing relationships and networks with culturally diverse communities; and the ability to forge partnerships with a variety of organizations.
University of South CarolinaEdit
University of South FloridaEdit
University of Southern CaliforniaEdit
- Open Rank Tenure Track
- Post-doctoral experience are preferred.
- Expertise in child welfare, juvenile justice, military science and Alzheimer’s research.
- Strong scholarship profiles involving Latino, Asian-Pacific Islander, and/or African-American populations.
University of Southern IndianaEdit
University of Southern MississippiEdit
University of Tennessee, Knoxville (Nashville satellite campus)Edit
University of Tennessee MartinEdit
University of Texas at AustinEdit
- Posted 9/9/16 - looking for a TT or tenured faculty member with research regarding Autism and/or NDD.Link on CSWE
University of Texas at ArlingtonEdit
University of Texas at San AntonioEdit
University of TorontoEdit
- Hiring multiple positions at University of Toronto. http://socialwork.utoronto.ca/about-us/job-opportunities/
- Applications due September 30, 2016
- Need cover letter, full CV, teaching dossier, brief outline of current and proposed future research interests, and 2 samples of published work. 3 letters of recommendation emailed directly to faculty.
- Appointment begins July 1, 2017
- Particular areas include but not limited to: human development/equity across life course; health/mental health; neuroscience; and education for professional practice. Also hiring assistant professors in gerontological social work, "social work and information" with focus on big data in social work, and clinical practice.
- Preference given to Canadians but all encouraged to apply.
- Does anyone know anything about this school- What's it like? politics? etc. I'm interested in applying and also am wondering about the academic environment
- Here's what I can tell you: expectations with respect to publishing are high, both to get hired and then to get to tenure. There is a huge emphasis on hiring professors who have practice experience - it doesn't HAVE to be clinical practice, but they definitely look for that. Teaching is highly valued, both within the school and within the university. Different academic world in Canada - 12 month pay, funding is mostly used to pay graduate students and the cost of conducting/disseminating research, course buy-outs don't really exist, and it's a far more egalitarian culture (in academia and in Canadian society). Great benefits are possible (e.g., new faculty housing, university-based (amazing!) day care, spousal hire) but not guaranteed. In terms of the academic environment, it is quite collegial and civilized. A few very minor political issues, but nothing that causes undo stress or interrupts the capacity to work together effectively. There is good institutional support, but don't expect that to be in the form of cash. MSW students are great. Read up on AOP (anti-oppressive practice) - it's huge here and in Canada.
University of UtahEdit
University of VermontEdit
University of Washington (Seattle)Edit
- They will be posting for a TT position
- Hiring 2 TT positions. Job posted here: ap.washington.edu/ahr/academic-jobs/position/social-work-assistant-professor-aa20431/
- "We encourage applications from both recent graduates and early career assistant professors within 3 – 5 years of receiving their doctorate."
University of Washington (Tacoma)Edit
University of Wisconsin-Green BayEdit
University of Wisconsin-MadisonEdit
- Hiring two (2) TT assistant professors, a clinical assistant professor (non-TT) in mental health, and a field director, but jobs ads have not been posted (9/12/16)
- Does anyone know what tenure looks like now in the UW system? I've been hearing a lot of concerns regarding this, but nothing specifically from social work.
- Tenure protection is no longer codified in state statute, though this was an unusual protection enjoyed by UW faculty anyways. The Board of Regents, who are appointed by Governor Walker, have argued that current tenure policy is now similar to many peer institutions, which is arguably correct. However, there may be more changes to come. What's perhaps more concerning in the short-term than tenure changes were massive budget cuts to the UW system enacted by the state legislature in 2015. The faculty that I spoke to about the tenure changes largely seemed unconcerned and like the tenure changes were being overblown, though they're also mostly older and perhaps confident that they'll be retiring before the end of tenure at public universities becomes a real threat. The university and the school of social work lost some really good faculty members this summer due to tenure changes/budget cuts/other morale issues, so all of these issues are certainly on the minds of people there.
University of Wisconsin-MilwaukeeEdit
University of Wisconsin-Eau ClaireEdit
University of Wisconsin - StoutEdit
University of Wyoming (WY)Edit
Utah Valley UniversityEdit
Washington University in St. LouisEdit
- Tenure-track faculty positions at the Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor rank for Fall, 2017.
- Expertise in any area applicable to social work, including children and youth, community practice, criminal justice, health social work, global social work, management, and mental health.
- The focus may be direct practice, policy, administration, or theoretical advancements with implications for social work.
- Applications are preferred prior to October 31, 2016.