Last year's page, for jobs that start in 2018: Music Theory/Composition 2017-18
Music Theory/Composition 2016–2017 (2 years ago)
Music Theory/Composition 2016-17 (3 years ago)
Music Theory/Composition 2015-16 (4 years ago)
See also: Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2018-19
RECENT ACTIVITY on the Music Theory/Composition WikiEdit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Theory/Composition_2018-19?feed=rss&action=history
Amherst College (deadline 12/15) Visiting Professor - open rank
Appalachian State (deadline 11/1) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- 11/9: Skype interview scheduled
Columbia University (deadline 11/26) Postdoctoral scholar - Presidential Scholars in Society and Neuroscience
- "The goal of this interdisciplinary experiment is to train and foster a new generation of scholars with the capacity to advance understanding of the humanistic and social dimensions of mind, brain, and behavior." [N.B.: This position was posted on MTO jobs and is open to scholars with PhDs in music and an interest in interdisciplinary work in neuroscience.]
Dartmouth College (Deadline 11/1) - Assistant Professor of Music
- "Teaching responsibilities will focus on Western art music history and theory. We will prioritize candidates with the demonstrated ability to make music come alive in the undergraduate classroom through performance and/or creative pedagogies." [N.B.: This was sent to SMT-announce, hence I assume that a theorist would be an appropriate candidate]
Florida State University (deadline 9/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory (enter job code 44027)
- 9/21: invitation for on-campus interview
- Whoa, this is remarkably quick. Any details?
- The person chairing the search is the kind of person that gets things done.
Grand Valley State University (deadline 11/1) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
Indiana University - Bloomington (deadline 11/9) Visiting Assistant Professor/Post-Doctoral Resident Scholar
Louisiana State University (deadline 10/1) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
- 10/12 Request for additional materials (x3)
- Skype interviews scheduled for week of 10/22 (X2)
Michigan State University (review begins 11/16) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
- 11/12: Reference contacted (Yes, before the review begins.)
Millikin University (deadline 10/15) Assistant Professor - Coordinator of Music Theory
- "Primary responsibilities include: teaching and coordinating the music theory and aural skills curriculum; engaging in recruitment and retention initiatives; maintaining an active scholarly profile and current knowledge of trends in music theory pedagogy."
- Skype interview scheduled week of 10/29 (x2)
- 11/5 On-campus interview scheduled
MIT (deadline 12/15) Lecturer I in Music
Portland State University (screening begins 1/11/19) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
Rutgers University (deadline 10/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
Texas A&M University Kingsville (deadline ?) Adjunct in Music Theory/Ear-Training, Spring 2019 only
University of Georgia (deadline 11/3) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
University of Iowa (deadline 10/22) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
University of Missouri - Kansas City (deadline 11/26) Assistant/Associate Professor - Music Theory
University of Minnesota - Twin Cities (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
University of North Texas (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory - Post-1900 emphasis
University of North Texas (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory - Pre-1750 emphasis
University of Notre Dame (deadline 10/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
University of Saskatchewan (deadline 8/1) Sessional Lecturer, MUS 234 (02)
- "The Department of Music invites applications for a Sessional Lecturer to teach the following course during the 2018-2019 Winter session: MUS 234 (02) Fundamentals of Music Theory IV, January 3 to April 5, 2019
University of South Carolina (priority screening 12/1) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
University of Texas at Austin (deadline 11/30) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
Vassar College (posted 10/31) Adjunct Instructor - Music Theory (Spring 2019 only)
Virginia Tech (deadline 12/6) Collegiate Assistant Professor - Music Theory (3-year appointment, non-TT)
Wake Forest University (deadline 11/30) Assistant Professor - Music Theory
Wellesley College (deadline 10/19) Postdoctoral Fellow - Music Theory (start date 1/1/2019)
- From the Search Committee: First round interviews will be scheduled for Friday 2 November at AMS/SMT.
Albright College (deadline 11/1) Assistant Professor of Music - Director of Applied Commercial Music
Albright College (deadline 11/1) Assistant Professor of Music - Director of Choral Activities
Bemidji State University (deadline 12/4) Assistant/Associate Professor of Music Theory
- "The candidate would be expected to teach in an applied area."
University of Mary Washington (Virginia) (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory / Director of Keyboard Studies
- Position number F00165
Rider University (deadline 1/2) Assistant Professor (Popular Music)
- " The successful candidate will hold a doctoral degree (PhD or DMA) in music or a related field with a primary focus on popular music studies.
Xavier University (review begins 1/7) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- Responsibilities include a full-time teaching load and departmental service including an Applied Instrument studio, teaching pedagogical classes in primary area, and teaching all lower and upper level theory courses.
Arizona State University (deadline 12/1) Assistant/Associate Professor in Music Composition (two vacancies)
- "…provide excellent teaching to the composition and theory areas."
Calvin College (open until filled) Assistant Professor of Music Theory and Musicianship
- "Our ideal candidate is a generalist with broad musical expertise who can teach our theory and musicianship sequence, including keyboard harmony, as well one or more of the following areas (listed in order of need): music technology (teaching Sibelius and ProTools basics, maintaining our lab and composition studio), composition, piano, strings, and/or voice."
- "Calvin College seeks faculty members who affirm the Christian faith as expressed by the Reformed confessions and who have academic and personal qualifications for teaching and scholarship."
Colby College (deadline 1/31) Faculty Fellow in Music Theory/Composition
Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam (review begins 10/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory and Composition
- Additional materials requested
Depaul University (open until filled) Assistant Professor - Composition and Musicianship
Fullerton College (deadline 11/5) Music Theory/Composition Instructor (part-time)
George Fox University (open until filled) Adjunct Professor of Music (Spring 2019)
Georgetown University (deadline 10/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory and Composition
- On campus interviews scheduled (11/2)
New York University (review begins 12/10) Assistant Professor
- "The Department of Music at New York University invites applications for a scholar of music studies at the assistant level. ... We encourage work that crosses and connects the department’s three subfields - composition, ethnomusicology, and musicology - and reaches out to other fields and modes of inquiry."
Sewanee: The University of the South (review begins 1/4) Assistant or Associate Professor of Composition/Music Theory
- "She or he will possess professional-level ability on an orchestral or jazz instrument, will develop a studio on that instrument, and will contribute as appropriate to applied instruction and a University ensemble."
Texas Christian University (deadline 12/20) TCU Chancellor's Postdoctoral Fellowship
Union College (submit by 12/15; closes 12/31) Assistant Professor - Music
- "Teaching courses in theory and composition is the primary responsibility of this position. ... The successful candidate will also demonstrate expertise in Digital Audio Arts, offering classes and supervising projects using digital media to create, record, and process sound."
University of Kentucky (Lexington) (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor - Music Theory and Composition
- "We are currently reviewing applications as they are received." (10/23)
University of Northern Iowa (deadline 11/2) Assistant Professor - Music Composition and Theory
- Required Doctoral degree in composition with 18+ hours graduate study in theory
University of Utah (deadline 1/7) Assistant Professor - Music Composition and Theory
Berklee College of Music (deadline 10/15) Full-time Faculty, Composition Department.
Chinese University of Hong Kong (closes 2/8) Assistant Professor of Composition
Emory University, Emory College of Arts and Sciences (deadline 10/19) Assistant/Associate Professor in Composition, tenure track
Florida State University (review begins 10/15) Assistant Professor in Music Composition (job code: 44174)
Penn State University (deadline 11/20) Assistant Professor of Music Composition
- "The successful candidate will have significant experience with software composition tools such as MIDI, virtual instruments, sound synthesis, and DAW software."
Queen's University Belfast (deadline 10/24) Lecturer in Composition (equal to 1-year VAP)
- 10/22 Request for additional materials
University of California, Santa Barbara (deadline 12/13) Associate/Full Professor of Composition
- Nominations and applications of composers of international stature for the Corwin Endowed Chair of Music Composition.
University of Chicago (deadline 11/1) 2019-2020 Chicago Center for Contemporary Composition Postdoctoral Researcher (one-year non-renewable post-doc)
University of Florida (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor in Composition
University of Missouri-Kansas City (deadline 11/26) Assistant or Associate Professor of Composition
University of Southern California (review begins December 2018) Assistant Professor of Composition
Australian National University (deadline 9/30) Lecturer in Multimedia Composition/Music Technology
Brandeis University (no deadline listed, posted 7/9) Lecturer in Music, 527517
- "The Brandeis University Department of Music seeks to hire an instructor to teach Mus162b: Seminar in MAX/MSP in Spring 2019. We seek an excellent teacher specializing in music technology, electronic music, and music composition, who meets departmental needs by offering undergraduate and graduate courses that range both chronologically and methodologically."
Fresno City College (deadline 10/20) Commercial Music Instructor - Full Time, Tenure Track
Georgia Tech (deadline 11/1) Assistant Professor - Music Technology
Hamilton College (deadline 10/15) Assistant Professor
- Skype interviews scheduled beginning 10/25 (x2)
- 11/7 On-campus interview scheduled
New York University (deadline 10/14) Assistant Professor - Music and Psychology, Tenure Track
Northeastern University (deadline 10/19) Assistant/Associate/Full Professor – Music Technology
- 11/1 Skype interviews scheduled (not 10/30)
San Diego State University (review begins 9/12) Assistant Professor: Sound Design and Digital Composition
- (11/3) Any movement?
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in Illinois (deadline 11/15) Full-Time Faculty - Art & Technology Studies, Tenure Track
Spelman College (deadline 12/1) Senior Lecturer - Music Technology and Composition, Non-Tenure Track
Texas Tech University (open until filled) Assistant Professor of Media Music
University of California, San Diego (deadline 10/15) Lecturer with Potential Security of Employment (LPSOE) in Electronic Music
- (11/3) Any movement?
University of Indiana (deadline 12/1) Assistant or Associate Professor of Music (Composition: Electronic and Computer Music)
University of Indianapolis Assistant Professor/Director of Music Technology and Audio Recording Programs
University of Texas, Austin Open Rank Faculty in Audio Technology
University of Utah (deadline 1/7) Assistant Professor - Electroacoustic Composition and Music Theory
- 2018-2019 wiki
- From 5120j: Heads up to the Music Theory/Composition community - due to changes in life circumstances, I have decided that I will not be moderating/monitoring the theory wiki this year. I've gotten the page started, but that will be the extent of my involvement. Since I've been the one adding most jobs to the wiki for the past few seasons, I wanted to let everyone know so you all can be more pro-active about adding them yourselves.
- Here is the list of bookmarks that I've used. These are basically in priority order - most positions show up on one of the first 5 or 6 sites, so it's fairly quick to click through the rest of the list.
7/23: Thank you, moderator, for your great service to our community of job seekers. Is there any individual or group of individuals who might be willing to monitor the sources mentioned and continue inputting job opportunities into the wiki?
8/21: Do we have anyone who is willing / able to act as moderator or co-moderator?
9/1: I'd be happy to work as co-moderator. I've just updated the Millikin University position with a link to the specific job ad. I'd welcome any additional co-moderators to edit this page.
9/2: Have we done away with the Composition Only category?
9/8: (re: 9/2) I don't think we have done away with the Composition Only category; it's just that the jobs that fall into that category haven't come up quite yet, or so it seems to me at least.
11/6: Anyone have updates on the composition jobs? Info seems pretty scarce so far...
11/7: For those with more experience: is it okay to contact a search committee if you haven't heard anything back in a while? How long should you wait until it's appropriate to contact them? Or should we just treat silence as negative outcome?
11/7 (2): I wouldn't bother them unless you have another offer or a significant update to your C.V. (like an article acceptance). And these things can take a long time, so don't despair—silence is neutral, not negative!
- 11/12: As an applicant who's been on the market for more than a few years, I think this is particularly unhelpful advice. This entire Wiki probably wouldn't exist if institutions and search committees bothered to inform their applicants when a search moves forward to the next round, let alone about a potential timeline for the whole search. And you can have all the cordial interactions you'd like with members of a committee, but they still won't reveal where they are in their process. So I've found that it's far better to assume that silence must be negative, then just move on to the next thing. If you're pleasantly surprised later, then great.
- Check all that apply
I am a theorist: 16
I am a composer: 19
I am a little of both (theorist/composer): 9
I am a musicologist with strong theoretical leanings: 1
I am a computer music scientist: 1
I am currently in a TT position: 13
I am currently in a renewable track non-tenure-track position: 4
I am currently in a VAP/Lecturer position: 7
I am currently a Postdoctoral Fellow and on the market:
I am currently adjuncting and on the market: 12
I am a recent (3 years or less) PhD and on the market: 5
I am a recent (3 years or less) DMA and on the market: 5
I am a no-longer-so-recent PhD and on the market: 9
I am a no-longer-so-recent DMA and on the market: 5
I was denied tenure and am back on the market:
I am a senior tenured scholar looking for a better position:
I am a tenured or tenure-track professor whose position has been cut:
I am an adjunct professor whose position has been cut:
I am working outside of the academy: 4
I am ABD and on the market: 12
I am ABD and no longer on the market:
I am not on the market but am an interested observer: 6
I am a member of a search committee: 1