For Music Theory and Composition jobs that begin in Fall 2017.
- NOTE from Moderator, 7/8/2016: I have changed the naming convention of this page to fall in line with every other job page on this wiki. The 2016-2017 page (this one) is for the 2016-2017 hiring season, for jobs that will begin in 2017. (In previous years the music theory/composition wiki has been named after the year in which the jobs will begin. This is why last year's page has nearly the same name as this year's.)
Last year's page, for jobs that start in Fall 2016: Music Theory/Composition 2016-17
Music Theory/Composition 2015-2016 (2 years ago)
Music Theory/Composition 2014-2015 (3 years ago)
See also: Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2016-17
RECENT ACTIVITY on the Music Theory/Composition WikiEdit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Music_Theory/Composition_2016-2017?action=history&feed=rss
Durham University (deadline 11/20) Lecturer in Composition
Eastman School of Music (deadline 11/14) Composer/Director of the Beal Institute for Film Music and Contemporary Media
- In case the link doesn't work, Job ID number is 197469
Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University (deadline 10/15) Part-time Faculty - Composition
The College of St. Rose (review begins immediately, posted 9/23) Assistant Professor of Music Industry (Songwriting, Composition and Performance)
University of California, Los Angeles (deadline 9/30) Assistant Professor of Composition
University of California, Los Angeles (deadline 9/30) Associate/Full Professor of Composition
University of California, Santa Barbara (deadline 10/31) Lecturer, Composition (part-time, non-tenure-track)
University of Chicago (deadline 12/1) 2017-2018 Postdoctoral Fellowship in Music Composition
- This is the first in a series of annual, non-renewable, one-year Postdoctoral Fellowships in Music Composition at the Centre for Contemporary Composition at the University of Chicago.
Arizona State University (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor of Music Theory (x2)
Baylor University (deadline 10/14) Lecturer in Music Theory
Eastman School of Music (deadline 10/7) Assistant Professor of Music Theory (x2)
Lawrence University (deadline 9/1) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- (9/15) request for Skype interview
Middlebury College (deadline 12/15) Visiting Assistant Professor of Music
Oberlin Conservatory (deadline 11/30) Tenure-track faculty position in Music Theory and Aural Skills
Shenandoah Conservatory (deadline 10/21) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
Southern Methodist University (deadline 10/15) Lecturer in Music Theory
University of California-Santa Barbara (deadline 11/30) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
University of Kentucky (deadline 11/15) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
University of Notre Dame (deadline 11/1) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
University of Houston (no deadline published yet) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- There is no link provided with the current U of Houston entry on this wiki. This job, as of mid-afternoon on 9/7 is also not listed on the U of H's website. Is there an official source for this posting or does this just reflect a rumor that U of H will be looking for a theorist later this season? (9/7)
- It was announced at a faculty meeting a couple weeks ago and is generally known around the school of music. Who knows how long it will take them to send out an official call? But UH is definitely going to conduct a search for a TT theorist to start work in the fall of 2017. (9/8)
University of Puget Sound (deadline 9/6) Sabbatical Replacement, Music Theory (full-time, 1-semester, Spring 2017)
Cabrini University (deadline: review begins immediately, posted 26 September 2016) Assistant Professor of Music
- "The Department of Graphic Design and Fine Arts, Cabrini University, invites applications for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor position to teach undergraduate courses in music theory and music history, as well as courses in the core curriculum."
- Also posted at Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2016-17.
Ramapo College (deadline: none listed) Assistant Professor of Music - Music Industry
- "The successful candidate should also have expertise in either musicianship or musicology, thereby able to teach either musicianship courses that focus on Western music theory, ear training, rhythmic training, and keyboard skills or music history/culture courses about diverse types of popular music as well as Western art music, jazz, or other music traditions."
- Also posted at Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2016-17.
University of Tampa (deadline: 10/1) Assistant Professor of Music History and Theory
- Also posted at Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2016-17.
- 8/20 Does anyone know if the request for a conducting video is a mistake? The job description doesn't mention anything at all about conducting.
- 8/22 Request for conducting video has been removed from the ad.
- NB: The job description states that clarinet is the preferred instrument and that the ideal candidate will be an "artist-level performer," so they are more likely looking for clarinet DMAs who can teach theory. Just saving all the non-clarinetists a few clicks.
University of West Georgia (deadline 10/10) Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- "Other duties and teaching will be assigned according to departmental needs, and will be selected from: Applied Music, Composition, Accompanying/Keyboard, and Jazz Studies, or other assignments according to the experience and expertise of the successful candidate. "
Bangor University (deadline 9/5) Lecturer in Music (composition/musicology)
- Also posted at Musicology/Ethnomusicology 2016-17
Hillsdale College (deadline 11/3) Assistant Professor of Music
Rutgers University (Deadline: 15 September 2016) Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition
Southern Methodist University (deadline 10/1) Lecturer, Composition and Music Theory, Non-Tenure Track
- 9/26 This job has already been filled and should have been removed from all job requests sites. The new position now available is the Lecturer, Music Theory, which is position 49828.
University of Redlands (posted 9/16, review begins immediately) Assistant Professor of Music Theory and Composition
University of Waterloo (deadline 11/1) Assistant Professor of Music Theory(/Composition)
Ursinus College (deadline 12/1) Assistant Professor in Music
Vassar College (deadline 10/1) Assistant Professor in Music Theory
- "A secondary area in composition, jazz studies, music perception and cognition, or ability to contribute to a multi-disciplinary field would be welcome."
Washington College (deadline 9/15) Visiting Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition (Spring 2017)
Baylor University (deadline 10/15) Lecturer of Composition/Music Technology
Brandeis University (deadline 10/31) Assistant Professor of Music
- "Duties include the teaching of composition, theory and analysis at the graduate and undergraduate levels. Significant expertise in electroacoustic music and experience in the design and maintenance of an electroacoustic music studio would be a plus."
Georgia Institute of Technology (deadline 11/1) Assistant/Associate Professor of Music Technology
Savannah State University (review begins immediately, posted 9/20) Instructor - Music (Keyboard and Music Technology)
- "Savannah State University seeks a full-time instructor of Keyboard & Music Technology qualified to teach music appreciation, keyboard, music theory, ensemble, applied lessons, and music technology courses."
- Also posted at Piano 2016-17.
School of the Art Institute of Chicago (deadline 12/16) Full-time Faculty Position in Sound
- "Specific areas of practice and research might include: acoustic ecology and soundscape; phonography; site-specific installation; electronics and electronic music, including analog synthesis, instrument design and construction; improvisation or other live-performance practices; work with innovative approaches to sound for video, film, or games."
University of Leeds (deadline 9/2) Teaching Fellow in Music (Electronic & Computer Music)
31 Aug 2016 - University of Wisconsin-Platteville: Assistant Professor of Music Theory & Applied Instrumental Instruction 01 Sep 2016 - Lawrence University: Assistant Professor of Music Theory 02 Sep 2016 - University of Leeds: Teaching Fellow in Music (Electronic & Computer Music) 05 Sep 2016 - Bangor University: Lecturer in Music (composition/musicology) 06 Sep 2016 - University of Puget Sound: Sabbatical Replacement, Music Theory 15 Sep 2016 - Rutgers University: Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition 15 Sep 2016 - Washington College: Visiting Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition (Spring 2017)
- 30 Sep 2016 - University of California, Los Angeles: Associate/Full Professor of Composition
- 30 Sep 2016 - University of California, Los Angeles: Assistant Professor of Composition
01 Oct 2016 - Southern Methodist University: Lecturer, Composition and Music Theory
- 01 Oct 2016 - University of Tampa: Assistant Professor of Music History and Theory
- 01 Oct 2016 - Vassar College: Assistant Professor in Music Theory
- 07 Oct 2016 - Eastman School of Music: Assistant Professor of Music Theory (x2)
- 10 Oct 2016 - University of West Georgia: Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- 14 Oct 2016 - Baylor University: Lecturer in Music Theory
- 15 Oct 2016 - Baylor University: Lecturer of Composition/Music Technology
- 15 Oct 2016 - Peabody Conservatory, Johns Hopkins University: Part-time Faculty - Composition
- 15 Oct 2016 - Southern Methodist University:Lecturer in Music Theory
- 21 Oct 2016 - Shenandoah Conservatory: Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- 31 Oct 2016 - Brandeis University: Assistant Professor of Music
- 31 Oct 2016 - University of California, Santa Barbara: Lecturer, Composition
- 01 Nov 2016 - Georgia Institute of Technology: Assistant/Associate Professor of Music Technology
- 01 Nov 2016 - University of Notre Dame: Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- 01 Nov 2016 - University of Waterloo: Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- 03 Nov 2016 - Hillsdale College: Assistant Professor of Music
- 14 Nov 2016 - Eastman School of Music: Composer/Director of the Beal Institute for Film Music and Contemporary Media
- 15 Nov 2016 - Arizona State University: Assistant Professor of Music Theory (x2)
- 15 Nov 2016 - University of Kentucky: Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- 20 Nov 2016 - Durham University: Lecturer in Composition
- 30 Nov 2016 - Oberlin Conservatory: Tenure-track faculty position in Music Theory and Aural Skills
- 30 Nov 2016 - University of California-Santa Barbara: Assistant Professor of Music Theory
- 01 Dec 2016 - University of Chicago: 2017-2018 Postdoctoral Fellowship in Music Composition
- 01 Dec 2016 - Ursinus College: Assistant Professor in Music
- 15 Dec 2016 - Middlebury College: Visiting Assistant Professor of Music
- 16 Dec 2016 - School of the Art Institute of Chicago: Full-time Faculty Position in Sound
- Open until filled - Cabrini University: Assistant Professor of Music
- Open until filled - Ramapo College: Assistant Professor of Music - Music Industry
- Open until filled - Savannah State University: Instructor - Music (Keyboard and Music Technology)
- Open until filled - The College of St. Rose: Assistant Professor of Music Industry (Songwriting, Composition and Performance
- Open until filled - University of Redlands: Assistant Professor of Music Theory and Composition
- 8/19 Travel reimbursement: Can anyone share advice on getting reimbursed for travel expenses? I've never had this problem before, in the many campus visits I've done in the past (I've always been reimbursed in 4-6 weeks), but this time it's been a real drag, over two months.The campus visit was in the Spring semester. I submitted receipts and requisition form in early June. When I enquired a few weeks ago they said they were working on it. But I've still received nothing and now they don't even reply to my polite emails. Any ideas?
- Corollary question to 8/19's query: Is it typical to have candidates make and pay for their own travel arrangements? Every institution I visited (so far) has made (and thus paid for) my travel arrangements. Any institution which is unable to make and pay for travel arrangements up front sounds suspect to me and raises a serious red flag. I should add I am new to the job market.
- (8/30) Every interview I've ever been on has covered all expenses, but some schools to seem to prefer the candidate to make the arrangements and pay for them, and then reimburse them. I've never had as long a wait as 8/19 seems to have had. I'd continue being the squeaky wheel, if I were you. Another variable is that, in the time between your interview and now, the budget year has turned over. I don't know if that will cause any troubles. Hopefully not - best of luck!
- 8/30(2) This is 8/19 again. I've always been reimbursed for travel for a campus visit, usually within about five weeks. In this instance they fully invited me to submit receipts for reimbursement. And I did, within the same budget year as the interview (in early June for a March interview). But then they just never sent a check, and now they don't even respond when I write an email to ask. This is an otherwise reputable institution, except that I notice that sometimes their entire website is down, which is worrying. I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and what they did about it. Or whether there is something I can do that I'm not thinking of.
- 8/30(3) New poster: I had an experience like this once. I finally got through by politely writing to one of the upper-level administrators I'd spoken to during my interview, cc-ing the search chair, and the dept. assistant who was supposed to have processed the check. Passive aggressive maybe... but it worked, and with no hard feelings (I think). It's hard to know at what level the process has stalled, so it helped to write to as many tiers at once. Maybe a red flag, but then again maybe not. I have respect for the institution and the people I met there. I wouldn't read too much into it. A great institution can have a bungling assistant in the human resources department somewhere.
- 8/19. If you haven't gotten your money back, I suggest writing them again, but copying the Dean, Provost, VP of Academic Affairs and the University President., marking the email as urgent. You may want to use a subject line like: Search Applicant from previous year's music search still awaiting reimbursement funds. That should get their attention.
SCI National Conference - 2017
- 08/29 (1): Has anyone heard anything about this? If my piece is accepted I'll need to apply for funding ASAP since I will be supplying my own performers and will need to cover their travel.
- 08/29 (2): External adjudicator here. We were asked to assess submitted materials by August 1st. I expect the hosts/organizing committees will need some time to finalize programs before notifications go out.
- The Open University position, and University of West London position are not Fall 2017 starts, and should therefore probably be removed and placed on last year's wiki.
- 7/13 I have moved them to last year's page.
- University of Houston Moores School of Music: There are currently 2 adjunct theory professors at this school. At least one of them might have an inside track. Just something to be aware of. And I hope you like guns, as this is a "campus carry" school.