Back to: History 2018-19
Last Year's Page: Latin American History 2017-18
When posting new jobs:
- Please try to follow the format of existing posts
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish';
- Please include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, please use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.
- Our users come from all over the world - please use unambiguous dating systems when posting.
- Please be aware of the T&C of the wiki relating to personal data when discussing candidates/job talks etc.
- If you are deleting information from the page please use the 'Edit Summary' box to explain why you are doing so - this helps the mods tell the difference between page vandals and legit. edits. Thanks. AFII (talk) 08:46, September 17, 2018 (UTC)
Recent Edits (RSS Feed)Edit
Loading RSS data...
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Latin_American_History_2018-19?feed=rss&action=history
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Latin American History, to begin Aug. 2019
- The successful candidate will demonstrate excellent preparation to teach courses in Colonial and Modern Latin America, the History of Mexico, a graduate seminar on Latin America, and preferably also a course in US-Latin American Relations, in addition to courses that reflect the candidate’s specific area of specialization. The ability to address such trans-Atlantic contexts as slavery, the West African diaspora, and/or Caribbean and Iberian connections, as well as the pre-Columbian period, is desirable, but not required. A focus on cultural history would also be welcome. The position may also entail teaching one or both of the survey courses in our World Civilizations sequence.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A Ph.D. in History with scholarly emphasis on Latin American history. University-level teaching experience in areas related to the focus of the position.
- A complete application is required and must include: an application letter specifically addressing position description and qualifications; unofficial copies of graduate transcripts; a professional vita, including the names and contact information for three references. Official transcripts will be required at the time of hire.
- Review begins: 22 Jan. 2019
Colgate University (USA:NY) - Assoc. or Full - Africana and Latin American StudiesEdit
- John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Chair, to be filled at the rank of tenured Associate Professor or Professor, beginning fall semester 2019.
- We seek a senior scholar with an established record of published interdisciplinary research, a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching, and experience in leadership and community building.
- Discipline and geographic area(s) of research are open. Desirable substantive areas include critical race theory, pan-Africanism, Diaspora or Black Atlantic studies and/or postcolonial studies.
- A CV, cover letter, and names of three references must be submitted through https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/11368.
- Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, women, persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are encouraged to apply.
- Deadline: Review of applications will begin 1 Oct. 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
- Also posted at Ethnic Studies 2018-2019
Gustavus Adolphus College (USA: MN) - pref. Brazil, Central America, or Spanish-speaking CaribbeanEdit
- Full-time tenure-track position of Assistant Professor in the Department of History to begin 1 September 2019.
- We seek candidates who have an earned doctorate in Latin American history, but will consider candidates who have achieved ABD status and will complete their degree by September 1, 2019.
- Geographic area open, although we are particularly interested in applicants with a specialization in Brazil, Central America, or Spanish-speaking Caribbean.
- We seek candidates who can contribute to departmental offerings in gender and race/ethnicity as well as social, environmental, and world history.
- The ability to create inclusive learning environments for an increasingly diverse student body will be an important characteristic of the successful candidate. Please indicate in your application letter how you will promote and support diversity efforts on campus and in the curriculum. .
- To apply, visit https://gustavus.edu/jobs/ and complete the online application, which includes: curriculum vitae; a brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy; statement of research interests; transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and the names and contact information for three professional references.
- Gustavus Adolphus College is a coeducational, private, Lutheran (ELCA), residential, national liberal arts college of 2200 students.
- For full consideration, applications must be received by 1 Oct. 2018.
- phone interview request (8 Nov. 2018) x2
- Any update on campus visit?
- [7 Dec] Campus visit arranged
- [10 Jan] Offer extended and accepted
Johns Hopkins University (USA: MD) - Asst. or Assoc. - CaribbeanEdit
- Tenure-track assistant or early associate professor of Caribbean History to being July 2019
- Time period open, from 1500 to 2000.
- Of particular interest are people working on "the history of enslaved and colonized people; decolonization; gender, sexuality and identity formation; migration and displacement; environment and geography; diaspora; and/or the history of capitalism."
- Ph.D. in History or a related field with a historical focus.
- Applications must submit a cover letter, CV, writing sample, research statement, and three letters of recommendation.
- For more details, and to apply, see the Interfolio site.
- Deadline: 1 Oct. 2018.
- [15 Nov] skype interview request
Franklin & Marshall College (USA: PA) - [Non-TT]Edit
- One-year visiting position (Visiting Assistant Professor or Visiting Instructor) in Latin American history, beginning Fall Semester 2019.
- Candidates should have or be close to completing the Ph.D. Teaching experience is required.
- Teaching load is 3/2 and may include participation in the College’s general education requirement, “Connections.” The successful candidate will teach both halves of the survey of Latin American history, as well as topics courses in areas of expertise.
- Those with experience teaching courses in the history of Brazil or the Spanish Caribbean are especially urged to apply.
- Candidates must submit the following materials via Interfolio (apply.interfolio.com/58415): letter of application, curriculum vitae, graduate transcripts, teaching statement, sample syllabi of survey courses, and teaching evaluations. Applicants must arrange for three letters of recommendation to be submitted directly to Interfolio by their recommenders.
- For full consideration: 1 Feb. 2019
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) (USA:MA) - [Open Rank]Edit
- Full-time faculty in Latin American Studies.
- Candidates must have completed a PhD in Latin American Studies or a related field, or expect to have done so, by September 1, 2019.
- Open to any period or discipline at the rank of Assistant Professor or Associate Professor.
- The position requires teaching upper-level content courses in Spanish, in addition to teaching subjects in English. Native or near-native fluency in Spanish and English is required.
- Please submit letter of application, CV, two writing samples of published or publication-ready scholarship (no longer than 30 pages each, one in English and one in Spanish), and two syllabi of undergraduate courses that you would be interested in teaching (one syllabus in English for a course taught in English and one syllabus in Spanish for a course taught in Spanish).
- Apply online via https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/11319.
- Deadline: 10 Oct. 2018.
Mt. San Antonio College (USA: CA) - U.S. and Latin American HistoryEdit
- Tenure-track professor of U.S. and Latin American History
- Preferred Qualifications: successful experience in teaching college level History courses, including United States History and Latin American History; successful experience in teaching transfer or lower-division college History courses; familiarity with and commitment to the mission and functions of a community college; proof of effective teaching methods for a diverse student population
- Mt. San Antonio is a community college of 10,000 students located on 420 acres in the Los Angeles suburb of Walnut, CA.
- Starting salary: $67,000-100,000 per annum
- Mt. San Antonio College will not sponsor visa applications.
- Please submit CV, cover letter, relevant syllabi, unofficial transcripts, three letters of recommendation, and (if applicable) Equivalency Determination Supplemental Form
- To apply, visit: https://hrjobs.mtsac.edu/
- Position open until filled. All applications submitted by 11:59 p.m. (PST) on 1 March 2019 are assured consideration.
Murray State University (USA:KY) - Latin America in the WorldEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in "Latin American in the World," to begin Fall 2019
- Applicants should have a Ph.D. in Latin American History with a focus on Spanish- and/or Portuguese-influenced areas of the Americas, including Cuba.
- Applicants must be able to teach survey courses in World History and Latin America courses in a global context. Expertise in Digital Humanities is desired, although applicants with secondary fields in other areas of history will be considered.
- The successful candidate will teach 12 hours per semester (4 courses) in area of expertise, survey courses in World History, and courses in Digital Humanities or another research field.
- Please submit a letter of application, a current CV, three letters of recommendation, and copies of transcripts electronically via www.murraystatejobs.com/postings.
- Deadline for applications is 1 November 2018.
- Any news?
Pennsylvania State University-Abington (USA:PA) - Global South, pref. Latin America, Caribbean, or Islamic WorldEdit
- Tenure track Assistant Professor of History, to begin fall 2019
- We welcome applications from historians with a specialization in the Global South, any period. Candidates with a focus on the Islamic World or Latin American/Caribbean History are especially encouraged to apply.
- Candidates must have completed the Ph.D. in History, or expect to do so by the time of appointment.
- Teaching Load: 3/3 The successful candidate will teach a variety of undergraduate courses in his or her areas of expertise, including introductory survey courses; maintain an active program of scholarly research and publication; advise students; and contribute service to the department, college, university, and profession.
- Applicants should submit a complete application through the PSU employment portal: https://psu.jobs/job/83308 . To apply, submit 1) a cover letter outlining teaching and research interests, 2) a curriculum vitae, 3) a statement of teaching philosophy and/or sample syllabus, and 4) three letters of reference.
- Review begins: 1 Nov. 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
- Any news?
- Skype interview requested (7 Dec. 2018) x2
Rowan University (USA:NJ) - pref. 20thCEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Latin American History, to begin Fall 2019
- We welcome applications from scholars with any research specialization, but we are especially interested in those whose work focuses on the twentieth century.
- PhD must be in-hand by start date.
- The successful candidate will contribute to Rowan’s International Studies program, including teaching interdisciplinary research methods and capstone courses in international studies and mentoring students. In history, the successful candidate will teach upper-level courses in the area of specialty and may also teach World History and/or Western Civilization surveys.
- Applications must be submitted through our online applicant tracking system at: http://jobs.rowan.edu/cw/en-us/job/493124/latin-american-historian. Submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae (to include a list of three references), and other appropriate supporting materials such as syllabi and teaching evaluations. Please do not submit letters of reference at this time.
- Review begins 12 Oct. 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
- Skype interview requested (26 Oct. 2018)
- On campus interview requested (8 Nov. 2018).
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Latin American History, to begin Aug. 2019
- Specialization is open to all thematic areas and historical periods.
- PhD in history or advanced ABD with defense scheduled by Summer 2019.
- St. Joseph’s College will not sponsor work visas for this position.
- St. Joseph's College is a liberal arts college in New York State, with campuses located in the Clinton Hill area of Brooklyn and in Patchogue, Long Island.
- Application Components: Cover Letter, C.V., Unofficial graduate transcripts, Sample syllabi, Copies of student evaluations (if available), One writing sample (preferably an article or book/dissertation chapter), 3 confidential reference letters.
- Candidates should submit cover letter, C.V., sample syllabi, student evaluations, and writing sample in a single PDF document to email@example.com. Confidential letters of reference should be sent under separate cover to the same email address (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Review begins: 10 Dec. 2018
- Assistant Professor of Latin America in the Department of History to begin in August 2019.
- Specialty open with preference for broadly trained historian of Latin America with additional teaching interests in other fields, including Europe or Native Americans.
- 3/3 load. The successful candidates will teach a mix of introductory and upper-division history courses. Candidates should be enthusiastic about contributing to a two-semester western ideas/core text sequence or in the freshman writing program.
- Samford University is dedicated to the promotion of rigorous academic inquiry in a Christian setting.
- Please submit a letter of application, curriculum vita with names and contact information of three references, evidence of teaching effectiveness, description of leadership experience, and research interests and activities. Applicants must also complete an "Application for Faculty Position " and the Faculty Applicant Christian Mission Statement .
- Please submit all materials in a PDF format to: HCASAPPS@samford.edu, ATTN: Chair of History (Latin Am), Search Committee, Samford University
- Review of applications will begin December 1 and will continue until the position is filled.
Skidmore College (USA: NY) - International Affairs in Latin America and CaribbeanEdit
- The International Affairs Program at Skidmore College invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor with expertise in culture, specifically in the intersections of race, gender and class in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- We specifically seek a colleague from the humanities who can offer intermediate and advanced courses in global culture, as well as in the above areas from an international and interdisciplinary humanist perspective.
- The position carries a teaching load of eighteen faculty workload credits per year (approximately five courses per year).
- We are particularly interested in candidates from underrepresented backgrounds that can add to the diversity and excellence of our academic program through their teaching, research, and service.
- Interested candidates must have a PhD completed or expected by September 2019, or ABD with expected completion by the end of 2019.
- All documents must be attached through the online application system, including CV, Research Statement, Teaching Statement, List of 3 References, and Diversity Statement. If you encounter difficulty, please contact Human Resources at: email@example.com or 518 580.5800.
- Deadline: Review of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. (Job ad published on 4 October 2018)
- AHA/Skype request (21 Nov 2018) x2
Smith College (USA:MA) - Advanced Asst. or Assoc. - Latin American and Latina/o StudiesEdit
- Tenured or tenure-track position to begin July 2019.
- Teaching Load: 2x2
- We seek an interdisciplinary scholar with a track record of working critically with quantitative data and methodologies, whose research bridges the social and natural sciences. We welcome candidates from any relevant discipline who have a demonstrated research commitment to Latin America.
- Among the fields we seek to productively engage are STS, race and/or indigeneity studies, alternative development studies. Scholars actively engaged in current debates in these fields—as well as the methodological and experiential implications of such debates—are of particular interest.
- Ph.D. and fluency in Spanish are required; Portuguese and/or other languages of the Americas desirable.
- Submit application at http://apply.interfolio.com/52903 with a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of research and teaching interests, a writing sample of ca. 25-30 pages, and three confidential letters of recommendation.
- Review of applications will begin on 1 Sept. 2018.
- Also posted at Ethnic Studies 2018-2019
- Additonal materials requested (26 Sept.)
- Campus interview scheduled (16 Oct.)
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Latin American history, to begin 1 Aug. 2019
- Ph.D. or ABD (with Ph.D. by August 2019) in Latin American History
- Area and period of specialization open.
- Candidate must demostrate training or experience to teach upper-level courses in Latin American History, including: Latin American Colonial History and History of Mexico.
- In addition to courses in Latin American history, the applicant must be able to teach freshman/sophomore-level general education courses in one or both halves of the US history survey course.
- Candidate must demonstrate ability to deliver highly-effective teaching, including use of educational technology in both face-to-face and online courses.
- To apply: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/semoedu/default.cfm?promotionaljobs=1
- Please include: Letter of interest addressing all position required qualifications; Statement of teaching philosophy; Current curriculum vitae; Unofficial copies of transcripts (official transcripts are required when offer of employment is accepted); Names, telephone numbers, addresses and e-mail addresses of three professional references
- For full consideration: 30 Nov. 2018
Universidad Diego Portales (Chile) - Comparative/Transnational History of Latin AmericaEdit
- Tenure-track, assistant professorship in Comparative/Transnational History of Latin America to begin June 2019
- Ph.D. in hand by the time of hire
- Complete fluency in written and spoken Spanish
- Proven academic productivity, consistent with the applicant´s area of expertise
- Teaching experience in the field of Latin American History
- Applicants must submit: cover letter, CV, relevant publications, student evaluations, and two letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In the case of questions, please contact Prof. Cristián Castro G. (email@example.com)
- Deadline: 15 March 2019
University of Edinburgh (UK:Scot) - History of the AmericasEdit
- Lecturer (~tenured asst/assoc prof) in the History of the Americas (North and South America, Canada, the Caribbean), to begin Sept. 2019
- There is a strong preference for candidates focusing on the indigenous peoples of the Americas and/or Borderlands. We are looking for an outstanding academic teacher with a strong, high quality, publication record.
- The appointee will be expected to teach across the full range of History undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, contributing to teaching on pre-honours courses, offering Honours courses and postgraduate courses in the history of the Americas, contributing to core courses at pre-honours, Honours and PG level, and supervising postgraduate research students.
- The appointee will undertake research and publish within their own field. They should demonstrate a commitment to developing cross- and inter-disciplinary collaborative projects within the School, the wider University, and with HEIs in the UK and internationally. They will be expected to submit applications to secure external research funding, individually and/or in collaboration with colleagues in relevant Research Centres (e.g. the Centre for Global History, the Centre of Modern and Contemporary History). The successful candidate will contribute to the administration of the Subject Area and the School, and provide pastoral care to students. All newly appointed academic staff are expected to work towards a qualification in teaching in higher education.
- Deadline: 6 Dec. 2018
- Crossposted to North American History
- [12 Dec] Rejection email x 4
University of Houston-Victoria (USA:TX) - European and/or Latin American and/or WorldEdit
- Assistant Professor in History and the Humanities in the School of Arts and Sciences, preferably with a major focus in Latin American, European, or world history, to begin in the spring or fall of 2019.
- Required attachments: 1) a cover letter relating the applicant's expertise to the qualifications listed above; 2) a current curriculum vitae; 3) a list of three potential references, with at least one preferably able to address teaching effectiveness; 4) evidence of effective teaching; 5) copies of all college transcripts. (Official transcripts will be required of all finalists.)
- See here for application website
- Review of applications will begin on approx. 16 Aug. 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
- Any news?
- [18 January] Was invited to interview for this position (I'm a Europeanist) yesterday
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (USA: TX) - [Non-TT] - U.S. History (subfield: Lat. Am.) Edit
- Three year, non-tenure track position to begin in Fall 2019.
- U.S. History with minor field or substantial graduate training in Latin American or Mexican History.
- Required: Ph.D. in History. ABD candidates will be considered, but must have Ph.D. conferred degree by August 31, 2019.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have a minimum of one year’s experience teaching at an institution of higher education.
- Please submit: CV, unofficial transcripts, letter of interest, and list of 3 references
- Link to apply: https://careers.utrgv.edu/postings/19487
- Deadline: 15 December 2018
- Skype interview conducted: Dec. 18
University of San Francisco (USA:CA) - International Studies, pref. Middle East or Latin AmericaEdit
- Tenure-track Assistant Professorship, to begin August 2019.
- Applicants must have earned their doctorate (in International Studies or related field) by August 31, 2018 and have prior university teaching experience beyond serving as a teaching assistant.
- Preference will be given to applicants whose work centers on one or more of the following areas: diplomacy, human rights, indigeneity and race/intersectionality in a global perspective. We especially welcome applications from scholars with an activist perspective, who use mixed research methods and we are interested in candidates who can articulate a global-local connection with their scholarly work and are able to bring community-engaged learning into their teaching. Though all geographical areas of expertise are welcome, we are particularly interested in applicants with a regional expertise in the Middle East or Latin America.
- Teaching Load: 2-2-2-3 over two years - two 4-unit courses per semester with an additional third course every fourth semester
- The successful candidate must be able to teach Introduction to International Studies, Research Methods at the graduate and undergraduate levels, and Critical Social Theory at the graduate level, as well as undergraduate and graduate elective courses in their area of expertise.
- All applicants should submit the following: Letter of application; Curriculum vitae; Graduate transcripts; Evidence of teaching ability, including two sample syllabi, student evaluations, and a statement of teaching philosophy (maximum two pages, double spaced); Description of research agenda (three pages, double spaced); Sample of recently published or forthcoming research (maximum of 25 pages); Three current letters of recommendation. All of these elements should be submitted electronically in PDF format to https://gnosis.usfca.edu/search. Any questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Any remaining elements that cannot be submitted electronically should be mailed to: Professor John Zarobell, Chair, Search Committee, International Studies Department, University of San Francisco, 2130 Fulton Street, KA 213, San Francisco, CA 94117, U.S.A.
- For full consideration: 5 Oct. 2018.
- Skype interviews conducted (29 Oct.)
- The Department of History at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga invites applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor in Latin American History beginning August 2019.
- Specialization is open to all thematic areas and historical periods.
- Successful candidates will have a PhD in history. Individuals who are "all but dissertation" (ABD) will be considered; however, the degree must be awarded within twelve months of the first semester of employment.
- Successful candidates will also have the ability to teach survey courses in Latin American history (e.g. colonial Latin America and modern Latin America) and introductory survey courses in World history.
- Please submit: Introductory letter of interest; CV; Unofficial graduate transcripts; Sample syllabi and copies of student evaluations (if available); One writing sample (preferably an article or book/dissertation chapter); Names, titles, and email addresses for three (3) references for confidential letters of recommendation to be requested.
- Please submit via the following site: https://ut.taleo.net/careersection/utc_faculty/jobdetail.ftl?job=18000000UX
- Review of applications will begin on 1 Oct. 2018, and will continue until the position is filled.
- Skype interview (20 October) x2
- Campus visit scheduled (3 November)
- Rejection email (December 6) x2
- I'm sorry. It's such a shit market this year, and rejection sucks. I've been having lots of it, too. Did you get the rejection after a campus visit?
- No, didn't make it to interview stage. Poor job market, indeed.
Virginia Commonwealth University (USA:VA) - Open Rank in Migration StudiesEdit
- Open Rank (Tenure Eligible) hire for the newly-established Dr. and Mrs. Harold Greer Jr. Professorship in Latin American History (to start August 2019)
- We are seeking a historian specialized in Mexico, Central America, or South America.
- Sub-fields of specialization may include, but are not limited to, internal and transnational migrations, indigenous peoples and cultures, globalization and environmental issues, state violence, and science, medicine, and technology.
- The Greer Professor is envisioned as a key contributor to the Migration Studies initiative (cluster hire) and will also be responsible for organizing an annual public lecture on Latin American History.
- At the Assistant Professor level, candidates should demonstrate an established research agenda, potential for external funding, and scholarship that complements and expands existing expertise in the department. At the Associate/Professor level, candidates should demonstrate a well-developed scholarly portfolio with evidence of multi-disciplinary applications, supportive external funding, scholarship that complements and expands existing expertise in the department.
- Preferred qualifications include native- or near native proficiency in Spanish, potential for developing and delivering professional development programming, and potential for engaging students in research experiences.
- Please apply online at www.vcujobs.com, and submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, sample of scholarship with your online application. Three letters of reference are required. Reference providers will be notified by email that they have been asked to provide a reference, with instructions how to do so.
- Questions about the position should be directed to Ms. Kathleen Murphy, HR Coordinator, at email@example.com.
- Review of applications begins immediately (August 7), and continues until we fill the position. We will give priority to complete applications received before 1 Nov. 2018.
- ANY NEWS???
- Contacted for Skype interview (28 Nov. 2018)
Western Carolina University (USA: NC) Edit
- Tenure-track Assistant Professor of Latin American History to begin in the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Will teach courses in Latin American history, areas of specialization, and World History surveys.
- Preference for subfields that complement current department offerings.
- All full-time faculty in our department teach lower-level liberal studies courses as well as upper-level/graduate courses, and play significant roles in implementing the university's Quality Enhancement Plan.
- Required: Ph.D. from accredited institution in History; ABD considered.
- Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate a commitment to public engagement through their teaching, service, and scholarship.
- Online submissions must include a cover letter, current curriculum vitae, unofficial transcripts, a list of three references with full contact information, teaching philosophy and sample teaching materials (relevant syllabi). In addition, please submit three letters of recommendation to Dr. Vicki Szabo, Search Committee Chair, History Department, 286 Central Drive, Western Carolina University, Cullowhee, North Carolina 28723.
- Please apply online at https://jobs.wcu.edu/postings/9672.
- For questions or additional information, please contact Dr. Szabo at 828-227-3911 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job ad posted 16 October 2018. No deadline indicated.
- Contacted by search comittee chair about missing application materials. My deadline to send it all was 26 Nov. Committee is meeing this week for initial deliberation. (28 Nov.)
- Application package 'approved' by HR (received a generic e-mail) (30 Nov.)
- Request for more materials (30 Nov.)
- Request for permission to contact references (30 Nov)
- Skype interview stage
Williams College (USA:MA) - African Am. History, pref. Caribbean Edit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in 20th Century African-American History, to begin 1 Jul. 2019
- The Department welcomes all areas of specialization, but is especially interested in applications from those whose research interests and/or teaching portfolio encompass the Caribbean or interactions between North America and the Caribbean.
- PhD should be in hand by Sept. 2019
- The Department also expects the successful candidate to teach a survey of twentieth-century African-American history in addition to more specialized courses, and to participate in teaching the modern U.S. history survey
- Please send the following application materials to the department chair, Anne Reinhardt, via Interfolio (http://apply.interfolio.com/52760): a letter of application which includes a summary of current and future scholarship, teaching interests and experience, and ability to work with a broadly diverse student population; a curriculum vitae; a separate brief description of suggested courses; and three letters of recommendation.
- Deadline: 2 Nov. 2018.
Saint Peter's University (USA: NJ) - Any world region prior to 1700Edit
- The History Department at Saint Peter's University invites applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning in fall of 2019.
- The Department seeks a candidate whose research and teaching focus on any region in the world prior to 1700, including ancient history.
- We are searching for an exceptionally gifted teacher/scholar who can translate her or his historical knowledge into engaging classroom experiences.
- Saint Peter's is one of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States.
- Saint Peter's University is especially interested in recruiting those who can contribute to the university community's desire to increase its diversity, and ensure that faculty, students, and staff members from underrepresented and marginalized populations are an integral part of the life and governance of the institution.
- Candidates should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement, and three letters of recommendation electronically through the application portal at https://saintpeters.peopleadmin.com/postings/1266.
- Review of applications will begin immediately and the deadline for application is December 22, 2018.
University of Houston (USA:TX)Edit
- See posting under 'Mexico' below
- The History Department at Boston College seeks to hire an Assistant Professor in Modern Latin American History.
- All regional, topical, and methodological specializations will be welcome.
- 2x2 teaching load
- Potential applicants should be aware that Boston College is a Jesuit, Catholic university that strives to integrate research excellence with a dedication to student formation at multiple levels and within an unabashedly liberal arts environment.
- Applicants for this position should submit a cover letter; a curriculum vitae; an article-length sample of research; and three letters of recommendation. Please address cover letters to the Chair of the Search Committee, History Department, Boston College, 140 Commonwealth Avenue, Chestnut Hill, MA, 02467.
- Candidates should have a Ph.D. in History by 31 August 2019.
- In order to receive full consideration, applicants should ensure submission of their materials via https://apply.interfolio.com/52687. Interviews will be conducted at the American Historical Association’s annual meeting in January 2019.
- Deadline: 1 October 2018.
- Request for additional materials. 30 October 2018.
- Kind rejection email, good luck to those who moved forward!
- Any word on this?
- [5 Dec] AHA interview request [x2]
- Rejection email after AHA interview
- [12 Jan] Campus visit extended
California State University, Long Beach (USA: CA), pref. Mexico or Central AmericaEdit
- The History Department at California State University, Long Beach seeks to hire an Assistant Professor in Modern Latin American History.
- Geographic area open, although we are particularly interested in applicants with a specialization in Mexico or Central America.
- Applicants should have a Ph.D. in History at time of application or official notification of completion of the doctoral degree by August 1, 2019.
- Applicants should also have experience with, or demonstrated potential for, effective participation in faculty governance; as well as a demonstrated commitment to working successfully with a diverse student population.
- Please see job ad for a list of preferred qualifications.
- Apply at: http://web.csulb.edu/divisions/aa/personnel/jobs/posting/2517/index.html
- Review of applications to begin 1 December 2018. Position open until filled.
- [13 Dec] skype interview request
- [21 Dec] On campus interview requested
- [10 Jan] Rejection email received
Central Michigan University (USA:MI) - [Non-TT]Edit
- Renewable fixed-term position in Modern Latin American History to begin August 2019.
- Teaching Load: 4/4 the majority of these will be introductory survey courses in Latin American history and additional courses as assigned.
- Applicants must have a PhD in history. Preferred qualifications include interest in active-learning methods.
- Candidates should submit an on-line application, including a letter of interest, CV, copies of official transcripts, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and three letters of suppor
- For full consideration: 18 Jan. 2019
Chapman University (USA: CA) - Modern Latin American, North Africa, Middle East, or AsiaEdit
- The History Department seeks a tenure track Assistant Professor (senior-level assistant professors may be considered) in modern non-western history (North Africa, the Middle East, Asia, or Latin America).
- The department is interested in historians who address their field of history in innovative regional, global or comparative contexts, and who can teach lower-division surveys and upper-division seminar courses in their areas of interest.
- The successful candidate will contribute to the Department’s Masters of Arts in War & Society Studies on a regular basis. The MA in War and Society expands the study of warfare beyond its military, diplomatic, and political dimensions by examining the social and cultural aspects of how societies go to war, experience war, and deal with war’s consequences.
- The faculty member will teach undergraduate and graduate courses, supervise undergraduate and MA student theses, and maintain active research and publication agendas.
- Chapman University offers a relocation expense reimbursement package as well as a first-time Orange County homebuyer assistance program.
- Note: This position is subject to final budget approval.
- To apply submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and three professional references to: Dr. Alexander Bay, Search Committee Chair at email@example.com. Please use "History Position" as the email subject line.
- Application review begins in October and will continue until the position is filled.
- Short-listed candidates will be asked to submit additional materials.
- Does anybody know if this search is still on? They say they begin to review applications from October and yet the deadline says 1 Dec. (1 Dec.)
- Colleague has a skype interview request
- [2 Jan] Any updates?
- Assistant Professorship in International History (History of Latin America), to begin 2 Sept. 2019
- The role holder will be expected to offer new courses at undergraduate level and at Masters level in the history of Latin America from c.1750 to the present day. They will also be expected to conduct and publish outstanding quality research.
- We are seeking exceptional candidates with outstanding research potential and a developing record of publications in the history of Latin America; the research interests of candidates will need to show a global, international, transnational or comparative perspective.
- PhD must be in-hand by 2 Sept. 2019
- The role holder will have expertise and research interests in the history of Latin America from c.1750 to the present day; a track record or trajectory of internationally excellent publications and a proven ability, as evidenced by existing publications, or potential to publish in top journals, or with leading book publishers, in history; a clear, well developed, and viable strategy for future outstanding research that has the potential to result in world-leading publications; and the ability to teach history at undergraduate and postgraduate level in the area advertised.
- To apply for this post, please go to www.lse.ac.uk/LSEJobs. If you have any technical queries with applying on the online system, please use the “contact us” links at the bottom of the LSE Jobs page. Should you have any queries about the role, please email Dr Tanya Harmer firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline: 9 Nov 2018
- intend to interview 27 - 28 Mar. 2019
- 20 Dec. 2018 - references requested, the job system says invited to interview but have not received an email. Anyone else? x 3
- Same here.
Trinity University (USA:TX) - pref. MexicoEdit
- Tenure-track assistant professor in the field of modern Latin American history to begin fall 2019.
- Although the scholarly and teaching foci are open, we are particularly interested in a historian of modern Mexico. Additional expertise welcomed in new and emerging forms of digital history (or humanities), project-based learning, applied learning, and/or service learning.
- The successful applicant will show have the Ph.D. in hand by 30 September 2019.
- Send letter of application, CV, and three letters of recommendation to email@example.com.
- Specific questions about the position should be addressed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Prof. Ken Loiselle, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline 29 Oct. 2018.
- Skype interview (16 Nov.)
- On-campus visits scheduled (10 Dec.)
University of Mississippi (USA: MS) - Environmental HistoryEdit
- Tenure-track assistant professor appointment in the Environmental History of Modern Latin America, to begin Aug. 2019
- PhD must be in hand by time of appointment.
- Candidates must demonstrate near-native fluency in Spanish and conduct original research in the language.
- Candidates must complete an online letter of interest and submit CV, three letters of recommendation, teaching portfolio (including syllabi and evaluations, if available), and a chapter length writing sample. These supplementary materials may be attached to the online application (https://careers.olemiss.edu) or mailed to Douglass Sullivan-González, Chair, Modern Latin America Search Committee, (Arch Dalrymple III Department of History, 310 Bishop Hall, University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University MS 38677-1848).
- Review begins: 1 Nov. 2018
- Preliminary interviews will be conducted via teleconference.
- Videconference interview scheduled (Nov. 13)
- Invitation to campus (16 Nov)
Princeton University (USA: NJ) - Asst. or Assoc. - Modern BrazilEdit
- Assistant Professor, Tenure Track, or Tenured Associate Professor in Modern Brazil.
- The time period and field of specialization are open, but the search will prioritize scholars who enhance existing thematic strengths in the department, including but not limited to: environmental history, transnational history, political history, the trans-Atlantic slave trade, slavery and race, gender and sexuality, and post-emancipation society.
- For candidates who do not yet have a Ph.D., the recommendation of the principal advisor must include precise information on the present status of the dissertation and the likelihood of completion by summer 2019.
- Applicants should provide a letter of application, curriculum vitae, research statement outlining the dissertation or book as well as future plans, and one chapter- or article-length writing sample. Applicants should also provide contact information for at least three recommenders.
- Please apply online at: https://www.princeton.edu/acad-positions/position/7841
- Review begins 8 Oct. 2018.
- [7 Dec. 2018] Department has short list of candidates to bring to campus
- I suggest asking about the results of the department's four most recent tenure cases.
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (CHI) - Contemporary History of ChileEdit
- Tenure-track assistant professorship in Contemporary History of Chile to begin in 2019.
- The candidate must be able to teach in Spanish at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Ph.D. in hand by the time of application. Degree must have been conferred no earlier than 2008.
- Applicants must submit an application form, working plan, current research project, teaching portfolio, student evaluations (if available), a writing sample (40 pages max.), two letters of recommendation, resume, and degree certificate at email@example.com.
- Further details available here .
- Deadline: 29 June. 2018
University of Houston (USA: TX) - Colonial Mexican HistoryEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship specializing in colonial Mexican history.
- The teaching load is two courses per semester.
- Candidates should have completed the Ph.D. in History by July 2019.
- We welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
- The University of Houston is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
- To apply, please attach the following to your electronic application submitted at http://jobs.uh.edu: letter of introduction, c.v., short writing sample, and contact information for three recommendation letter providers
- Please direct questions to Dr. Natalia Milanesio, Chair of the Colonial Mexican History Search Committee, Department of History, University of Houston, nmilane2@Central.UH.EDU.
- Deadline: 15 Dec. 2018
- Any news on campus visits?