Back to: History 2017-18
Last Year's Page: History of Sci Tech & Med 2016-17
When posting new jobs:
- Please try to follow the format of existing posts
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish';
- Please include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, please use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.
RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED) Edit
Loading RSS data...
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Science_Technology_Medicine_2017-18?feed=rss&action=history
- The Institute for the History and Philosophy of Science and Technology (IHPST) at the University of Toronto invites applications for a tenure-stream appointment in the area of Science and Technology Studies (STS) at the rank of Assistant Professor. The appointment will begin on July 1, 2018.
- Candidates must hold a PhD in STS, history of science and technology, philosophy of science, or a related area by the date of appointment, or shortly thereafter. They must have a demonstrated record of excellence in, and commitment to, both research and teaching. They must provide evidence of excellence in research as demonstrated by a record of sustained contributions and publications in top-ranked and field relevant journals, presentations at significant conferences, awards and accolades, and strong endorsements by referees of high standing. The successful candidate will be expected to mount an innovative, competitive and independently funded research program. Additionally, the successful candidate must demonstrate teaching excellence at both the undergraduate and graduate program levels. Evidence of excellence in teaching will be demonstrated through teaching accomplishments, the statement of teaching philosophy and the teaching dossier submitted as part of the application, as well as strong letters of reference.
- The successful candidate will teach courses at the IHPST at the graduate and undergraduate level and will be expected to contribute to a research-intensive doctoral program. We especially seek candidates with a commitment to shaping the future of the field of STS, and whose research and teaching engage substantially historical or philosophical studies of science and technology.
- LINK to Apply.
- Applications should include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a statement outlining current and future research interests, a statement of teaching philosophy, a sample of academic writing, and a teaching dossier.
- All application materials should be submitted online by September 18, 2017.
Weslyan University (USA:CT) - Science in SocietyEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the Science in Society programme, to begin 1 Jul. 2018
- Seeking a candidate with substantive research and teaching interests in transnational studies of contemporary science, technologies, or medicine, and expertise in relevant empirical research methods.
- Ph.D. in Science and Technology Studies, Sociology, Anthropology, relevant area studies, or other relevant academic discipline, in hand at time of appointment is required to be hired as an Assistant Professor; a successful candidate may be hired as an Instructor if the candidate does not have a Ph.D. in hand at the time of appointment, but will complete the Ph.D. within one year of hire.
- Please submit electronically, to http://careers.wesleyan.edu/postings/5929 the following: curriculum vitae, reprints, a statement of research plans, teaching interests, syllabi, teaching evaluations (if available), and email addresses for three recommenders. As part of the teaching statement (or cover letter), we also invite you to describe your cultural competencies and experiences engaging a diverse student body.
- For full consideration: 15 Oct. 2017.
- Also posted at Cultural Anthropology 2017-2018
Yale University (USA:CT) - Sociology of Medicine/HealthEdit
- Untenured Assistant Professorship in sociology of health and/or medicine.
- Applicants should have a PhD or equivalent degree at the time of taking up the position.
- Candidates should submit a letter of application, CV, one writing sample, a brief research statement outlining future plans, and three letters of reference. Submission may be made via Interfolio ByCommittee @ http://apply.interfolio.com/43146.
- Review begins: 15 Sept. 2017
Harvard University (USA:MA) - AmericanEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the History of Modern (20thC) American Medicine, to begin 1 Jul. 2018
- We are especially interested in candidates with comparative or global perspectives. A Ph.D. is required by the expected start date. The Department is especially interested in candidates who show exceptional promise as scholars, teachers, and mentors, and who can offer broad courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels that will complement those of the current faculty
- Applications should include a curriculum vitae, an outline of present scholarly projects and future plans, a statement of teaching experience and approach, and a writing sample. All materials should be submitted directly to the Harvard academic positions site at http://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/7697
- Deadline: 16 Oct 2017
University of Strathclyde (UK:Scot) - [Senior Hire] Health & WellbeingEdit
- Professor/Reader (Full Prof++) in Health And Wellbeing across Time and Place
- In order to apply, you will be: Leading an independent and internationally recognised research portfolio in an area of our strategic focus; Providing academic leadership to ensure a step-change performance improvements; Publishing in leading international journals; Pursuing funding opportunities from both UK and international sources; Taking a lead role in ensuring teaching and learning excellence; and Leading on developing collaborative and productive links with national and international partners in academia, business, industry and government.
- For further details and to apply to be a ‘Strathclyder’ in Health and Wellbeing Across Time and Place, impress us with your bold and innovative research plan at: www.strath.ac.uk/workwithus/strathclydeglobaltalentprogramme/
- Deadline: 24 Sept. 2017
Technische Universität Darmstad (DEU) - [Senior Hire]Edit
- Full Professor (W 3) in History of Technology, to start as soon as possible
- The successful candidate will teach History of Technology in a broad sense in all programmes taught at the History Institute (BA History with a focus on Modernity, Joint BA, MA History, History for Teachers at secondary schools, MA of Education). It is expected that he/she will take active part in the further improvement of these programmes. The focus of research is expected to lie on the history of technology since modernity.
- The successful candidate will contribute to strengthening the cultural-history profile of the History Institute and will relate with the trans-epochal focal themes of the Institute and the Department. We expect a readiness to collaborate with colleagues of other subjects and schools, also beyond the range of the Humanities and Social Sciences. The candidate should be willing to engage himself/herself in the interdisciplinary graduate school KRITIS (funded by DFG). We expect experiences in the acquisition of external funding.
- Apart from having produced an excellent Ph.D. Thesis and additional scholarly achievements (habilitation or equivalent accomplishments) candidates should be able to present innovative contributions in research and teaching in the focal points of the advertised chair. A clear international as well as interdisciplinary orientation should be recognizable in their academic CV.
- The position is tenured with a remuneration package commensurate with experience and qualifications, following the German "W-Besoldung" and subject to negociations between the applicant and the university directorate. The regulations for employment are specified under §§ 61 and 62 HHG (Hessisches Hochschulgesetz).
- Please send your complete application documents (letter of motivation, a full CV, transcripts, list of publications, portfolio on teaching, list of former teaching activities and scholarly activities, list of third-party-funding) quoting the reference number of the advertisement, to the Dean of the Department of Social Sciences and History, TU Darmstadt, Dolivostr. 15, D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany.
- Deadline: 30 Sept. 2017