Back to: History 2016-17
Last Year's Page: History of Sci Tech & Med 2015-16
When posting new jobs:
- Please try to follow the format of existing posts
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish';
- Please include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, please use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.
RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED) Edit
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Science_Technology_Medicine_2016-17?feed=rss&action=history
Christopher Newport University (USA: VA) - Modern or Early Modern European History of Science or MedicineEdit
- Tenure-track position in History, effective August 21, 2017
- This position will specialize in the history of Europe (Modern or Early Modern) with special emphasis on the history of Science and/or Medicine broadly defined.
- The successful candidate will teach upper and lower division courses in the candidate’s area of research and in the University’s liberal learning core.
- The nominal teaching load for tenure track appointments is 3-3.
- The Ph.D. in History or a closely related field is required for appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor. In some cases, exceptionally well-qualified candidates may be considered for appointment at a higher rank and ABD candidates who will not hold the Ph.D. by the time of appointment may be considered for appointment at the rank of Instructor.
- Phi Beta Kappa membership is highly desirable.
- To apply, submit a letter of application, vita, graduate transcripts (copies acceptable for initial screening), a statement of teaching philosophy, a sample of scholarly work, a sample syllabus for a course you typically teach, and three letters of reference to: Director of Faculty Recruitment, History (European History of Science or Medicine) Faculty Search, Search #8356, Christopher Newport University, 1 Avenue of the Arts, Newport News, VA 23606-3072 Or email@example.com
- Review of applications will begin on October 10, 2016.
- Also posted at European History 2016-17
- [21 Oct] Skype interview
Nanyang Technological University (SGP) - Medical HumanitiesEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the Medical Humanities
- The History Programme invites qualified academics to apply for a faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the field of Medical Humanities. This position will be a joint appointment between the School of Humanities and Social Sciences (75%) and the Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (25%).
- HSS and LKCSM seek to appoint a scholar within the field of "medical humanities" (history of medicine, medical sociology, medical anthropology, medical philosophy, or studies of global health). We particularly encourage applications by candidates whose research will complement our existing strengths in social studies of science and technology and "global Asia" and develop our research in interdisciplinary fields including: traditional and modern medicine in Asia; the cultural contexts of health and health care; cross-cultural studies of mental health; global health challenges; gender and health; environment and health; studies of reproductive and end-of-life health; or health policy. Although the precise specialization is open, some preference will be given to applicants whose work demonstrates relevance to Asia.
- The successful candidate will lead the Medical Humanities integrated theme at LCKSM. This will involve teaching existing medical humanities workshops to be delivered in years 1 and 2 of the medical curriculum and developing materials and activities for upper division medical students. A further responsibility of the post holder will be the maintenance and expansion of LKCSM’s medical humanities resources
- To apply, please refer to the Guidelines for Submitting an Application for Faculty Appointment (http://www.ntu.edu.sg/ohr/career/submit-an-application/Pages/Faculty-Positions.aspx) and email your application package (consisting of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, personal particulars form, teaching and research statements, evidence of teaching effectiveness (if available), three selected reprint/preprints of publications, and the names and email addresses of three potential referees) to: The Search Committee (Medical Humanities), School of Humanities and Social Sciences, History Programme, 14 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637332 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Applications sent via email should include a reference to “Assistant Professor (Medical Humanities)” in the subject line. Please send your enquiries about the position to the above email address.
- Deadline: 1 Dec. 2016
New Jersey Institute of Technology (USA:NJ) - [open rank] pref. STM or LegalEdit
- Tenured or tenure track position in history, to begin Sept. 2017
- Rank and chronological/geographical area(s) of expertise are open. Preference will be given to applicants whose research and scholarship fall within one or more of the following fields: history of science, history of technology, legal history
- Tenure-track applicants should have evidence of scholarly accomplishment and effective teaching, with Ph.D. in hand by August 2017. Tenured applicants should be recognized for their distinction and professional accomplishment.
- Send letter of application, C.V., and three letters of recommendation ... as directed at https://njit.jobs, posting #0603615.
- Deadline: 1 Dec. 2016
- Crossposted to Open Field or Mixed hire 2016-17
- The School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor appointment in environmental humanities, broadly interpreted to embrace disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches from the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
- We are interested in exceptional scholars who take innovative, pioneering approaches to such areas of inquiry as history and the environment; the arts, culture and the environment; environmental ethics and philosophy; environmental theory; environmental justice in a global perspective; the Anthropocene; the nonhuman in the humanities; and varieties of environmental knowledge. The successful candidate’s primary appointment will be in one of the following departments: Anthropology, Earth and Environmental Science, English, German, History, History and Sociology of Science, or Philosophy. Secondary appointments in other departments can be arranged, as appropriate.
- This will be the first in a cluster of appointments in various aspects of the environmental humanities. The successful candidate should therefore have a strong interest in building such a program and in interacting with scholars from other disciplines whose research lies within the overarching theme of environmental humanities. The successful candidate will teach courses in her or his home department and will participate in the development of curriculum pertinent to the theme of the cluster.
- Applications should be submitted on-line at http://facultysearches.provost.upenn.edu/postings/990 and include a curriculum vitae, a research statement that includes the candidate's perspective on how she or he fits into one of the core departments, an uploaded publication (either a link to a journal publication or some other writing sample), and the contact information for three individuals who will be contacted by the University with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation.
- Review of applications will begin November 3, 2016, and will continue until the position is filled.
University of Strathclyde (UK:Scot) - History of Sci, Tech & InnovationEdit
- Chancellor's Fellowship in the History of Science, Technology & Innovation
- The Fellowships will normally be appointed at Lecturer level and will offer an accelerated academic career, with the expectation that candidates will achieve promotion within the 5 year Fellowship period. Fellows who meet the criteria for promotion by the end of the 5 year period and continue to demonstrate a strategic fit in terms of research interests, will continue in an open-ended ("tenured" equivalent) academic appointment at the appropriate level. Exceptionally, where a candidate has an established track record in research leadership, appointments may initially be made at Senior Lecturer level with an expectation that promotion to Reader level will be attained within 5 years
- To apply you must hold a PhD and have postdoctoral research experience, with an emerging publication track record in high quality academic journals or equivalent. Your research interests should align with the identified strategic priority areas of the University
- Initially, the focus of the Fellow will be on establishing an impressive research portfolio, aligned to the strategic priorities of the University and with appropriate attraction of external funding. Over the course of the Fellowship additional duties in the areas of teaching and citizenship will be assigned to the Fellow in line with the duties of a Lecturer (or Senior Lecturer, as appropriate).
- To apply you must provide the following: A fully completed Application Form; A detailed CV, including publications record; A 5 year Strathclyde based research plan which clearly identifies with which strategic area you consider yourself to align Applications should be made online at www.strath.ac.uk/workwithus/fellowship.
- Deadline: 13 Nov. 2016
- Assistant Professor in the History of Science and Technology
- We welcome applicants working in any area of this field. However, we particularly encourage those who will be able to enhance existing research strengths in the department. Of particular relevance to this post are our Centre for the History of Medicine, our Global History and Culture Centre and our expertise in the histories of imperialism, gender and sexuality. Our geographical coverage is broad and encompasses the modern and early modern history of Britain, Europe, South and East Asia, East Africa and the Americas, including the Caribbean
- You will have a proven record of achievement in research, with clear potential for/or demonstrated excellence in publication in an area or areas of the history of Science and Technology. You will have undergraduate teaching experience, and experience of/or the potential to engage in postgraduate teaching. You will have knowledge of applying for funding, and the potential to participate in collaborative grant initiatives and management. You will be expected to participate as appropriate in the administration of the History Department. Please direct all informal inquiries to Professor Daniel Branch, Head of Department, at D.P.Branch@warwick.ac.uk.
- Full details of the duties and selection criteria for this role are found in the vacancy advert on the University of Warwick jobs page. You will be routed to this when you click on [this button]
- Deadline: 3 Nov. 2016
History of MedicineEdit
Queen's University (CAN) - [Senior Hire]Edit
- Tenured or tenure track position as the Jason A. Hannah Chair in the History of Medicine
- Candidates must hold a PhD or MD/PhD (or equivalent). The PhD must be in History, or a cognate discipline, and the candidate must have a strong research record in the History of Medicine. The successful candidate will demonstrate the potential for outstanding teaching contributions at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and will have a record of independent research of the highest quality. Candidates must provide evidence of an ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary and student-centred environment. The successful candidate will be required to make substantive contributions through service to the School, the Faculty, the University, and the broader community. Preference will be given to candidates who have educational experience in the health care professions, particularly medicine, and knowledge of the Canadian health care context
- To comply with federal laws, the University is obliged to gather statistical information as to how many applicants for each job vacancy are Canadian citizens / permanent residents of Canada. Applicants need not identify their country of origin or citizenship; however, all applications must include one of the following statements: “I am a Canadian citizen / permanent resident of Canada”; OR, “I am not a Canadian citizen / permanent resident of Canada”. Applications that do not include this information will be deemed incomplete.
- A complete application consists of: a cover letter (including one of the two statements regarding Canadian citizenship / permanent resident status specified in the previous paragraph); a current Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications); a statement of research interests; a statement of teaching interests and experience (including teaching outlines and evaluations, if available); and, the names and contact information of three individuals who, if requested, will provide letters of reference. lease submit your application electronically to: Dr. Leslie Flynn, Vice-Dean, Education, Faculty of Health Sciences (c/o Ms. Christine Mandy: email@example.com)
- Review begins: 15 Oct. 2016 and continues until position filled
University of Nebraska-Lincoln (USA:NE) [Senior Hire]Edit
- Endowed professorship - Associate or Full - in the History of Medicine, to begin Aug. 2017
- The successful candidate will serve as the Wilson Professor in the History of Medicine and as the Director of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Humanities in Medicine program. Scholars from any sub-field and any period in the history of medicine broadly are welcome to apply. The position requires a Ph.D., a demonstrated track record of excellent scholarship and teaching, as well as interest in leading an academic program.
- To be considered for the position, applicants must complete the Faculty/Administrative Information Form at http://employment.unl.edu, requisition F_150262, and upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and writing samples, and have three confidential letters of reference sent to Professor David Cahan, Chair, Search Committee, Department of History, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 612 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0327.
- Review begins 7 Oct. 2016
University of Roehampton, London (UK) - post-1800Edit
- Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (~tenured asst/assoc or assoc/full prof) in the History of Medicine (post-1800)
- For an informal discussion about the post, please contact the Head of Department: Professor Mike Edwards 020 8392 5143 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- To find out more information about the role and what we’re looking for, please visit the Working at Roehampton section of our website where you will find full details, how to apply, as well as further information about the benefits of working for us. http://www.roehampton.ac.uk/Working-at-Roehampton/
- Deadline: 8 Nov. 2016
- Intend to interview 'in the New Year'
History of ScienceEdit
Harvard University (USA:MA) - History of Modern Science and Technology in East AsiaEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the history of modern (20thC forward) science and technology in East Asia, to begin 1 Jul. 2017
- PhD expected by start date
- The Department is especially interested in candidates who show exceptional promise as scholars, teachers, and mentors, and can offer broad courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels that will complement those of the current faculty
- Applications should include a curriculum vitae, an outline of present scholarly projects and future plans, a statement of teaching experience and approach, a writing sample, and the names and contact details of three persons who will write letters of recommendation. All materials should be submitted directly to the Harvard academic positions site athttp://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/71
- Deadline: 21 Oct. 2016.
- Also posted at Asian History 2016-17
History of TechnologyEdit
- tenure track assistant professorship in the history of technology, to begin 16 Aug. 2017
- "Candidates already holding a PhD in History are desired, although outstanding candidates who are in the final stages of their doctoral candidacy (ABD) will be considered. Appointment to the tenure-track position at the rank of assistant professor requires the earned degree by August 16, 2017"
- "We especially desire candidates with active research agendas and teaching experience. The successful candidate will be able to make contributions to teaching in the Technology and Civilization sequence of the university core curriculum, as well as the undergraduate program and the graduate program"
- To apply for this position, please visit https://aufacultypositions.peopleadmin.com/. Applicants will be required to attach a letter of application, vita, graduate transcripts, writing sample, evidence of teaching effectiveness, and provide contact information for three letters of recommendation
- The candidate selected for this position must be able to meet eligibility requirements to work in the United States at the time the appointment is scheduled to begin and continue working legally for the proposed term of employment
- Review begins: 28 Nov. 2016
- Tenure track Assistant Professorship in political, social, and cultural history of technology in the modern era (nineteenth and twentieth centuries, to begin 1 Jul. 2017
- Some preference will be given to applicants whose work lies outside the United States, or who conduct transnational and comparative research. A PhD in History is required
- We invite scholars working on all topics related to technology, especially technologies that involve: the infrastructures of markets, labor organization, media and communication, reproductive and other technologies of the body, urban life, surveillance and violence, infrastructures of colonialism and imperialism, ecology, energy, transportation, calculation and computation.
- Interested candidates must apply online at: https://careers.newschool.edu/postings/13268
- Deadline: 21 Nov. 2016
Purdue University (USA:IN) - pref. western/militaryEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the history of technology, with a specialisation in western tech, and a possible teaching and research field in military technology
- Ph.D. in History required
- The successful candidate will develop undergraduate and graduate courses in the history of technology in western civilization and military technology as well as contribute to the intellectual life of the department
- Please submit a letter of application, C.V., writing sample (which may be a dissertation chapter, article, or book), evidence of teaching excellence, and at least three letters of reference. Questions about the position should be directed to Doug Hurt, Head, at email@example.com. Electronic applications can be sent to Rebecca Gwin, Administrative Assistant firstname.lastname@example.org or to the Department of History, 672 Oval Drive, University Hall 231, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
- Review begins: 30 Nov. 2016 and continues until position filled.
Ruhr-University Bochum (DEU) - History of MiningEdit
- Junior Professorship in the History of Mining, to begin 1 Apr. 2017
- See full posting (link above) at Non-Geographic/Methodologically Oriented History 2016-17