Back to: History 2016-17
Last Year's Page: History of Sci Tech & Med 2015-16
When posting new jobs:
- Please try to follow the format of existing posts
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish';
- Please include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, please use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.
RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS FEED) Edit
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/History_of_Science_Technology_Medicine_2016-17?feed=rss&action=history
Christopher Newport University (USA: VA) - Modern or Early Modern European History of Science or MedicineEdit
- Tenure-track position in History, effective August 21, 2017
- This position will specialize in the history of Europe (Modern or Early Modern) with special emphasis on the history of Science and/or Medicine broadly defined.
- The successful candidate will teach upper and lower division courses in the candidate’s area of research and in the University’s liberal learning core.
- The nominal teaching load for tenure track appointments is 3-3.
- The Ph.D. in History or a closely related field is required for appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor. In some cases, exceptionally well-qualified candidates may be considered for appointment at a higher rank and ABD candidates who will not hold the Ph.D. by the time of appointment may be considered for appointment at the rank of Instructor.
- Phi Beta Kappa membership is highly desirable.
- To apply, submit a letter of application, vita, graduate transcripts (copies acceptable for initial screening), a statement of teaching philosophy, a sample of scholarly work, a sample syllabus for a course you typically teach, and three letters of reference to: Director of Faculty Recruitment, History (European History of Science or Medicine) Faculty Search, Search #8356, Christopher Newport University, 1 Avenue of the Arts, Newport News, VA 23606-3072 Or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Review of applications will begin on October 10, 2016.
- Also posted at European History 2016-17
- The School of Arts and Sciences at the University of Pennsylvania invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor appointment in environmental humanities, broadly interpreted to embrace disciplinary and interdisciplinary approaches from the humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
- We are interested in exceptional scholars who take innovative, pioneering approaches to such areas of inquiry as history and the environment; the arts, culture and the environment; environmental ethics and philosophy; environmental theory; environmental justice in a global perspective; the Anthropocene; the nonhuman in the humanities; and varieties of environmental knowledge. The successful candidate’s primary appointment will be in one of the following departments: Anthropology, Earth and Environmental Science, English, German, History, History and Sociology of Science, or Philosophy. Secondary appointments in other departments can be arranged, as appropriate.
- This will be the first in a cluster of appointments in various aspects of the environmental humanities. The successful candidate should therefore have a strong interest in building such a program and in interacting with scholars from other disciplines whose research lies within the overarching theme of environmental humanities. The successful candidate will teach courses in her or his home department and will participate in the development of curriculum pertinent to the theme of the cluster.
- Applications should be submitted on-line at http://facultysearches.provost.upenn.edu/postings/990 and include a curriculum vitae, a research statement that includes the candidate's perspective on how she or he fits into one of the core departments, an uploaded publication (either a link to a journal publication or some other writing sample), and the contact information for three individuals who will be contacted by the University with instructions on how to submit a letter of recommendation.
- Review of applications will begin November 3, 2016, and will continue until the position is filled.
History of MedicineEdit
Queen's University (CAN) - [Senior Hire]Edit
- Tenured or tenure track position as the Jason A. Hannah Chair in the History of Medicine
- Candidates must hold a PhD or MD/PhD (or equivalent). The PhD must be in History, or a cognate discipline, and the candidate must have a strong research record in the History of Medicine. The successful candidate will demonstrate the potential for outstanding teaching contributions at both the undergraduate and graduate levels and will have a record of independent research of the highest quality. Candidates must provide evidence of an ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary and student-centred environment. The successful candidate will be required to make substantive contributions through service to the School, the Faculty, the University, and the broader community. Preference will be given to candidates who have educational experience in the health care professions, particularly medicine, and knowledge of the Canadian health care context
- To comply with federal laws, the University is obliged to gather statistical information as to how many applicants for each job vacancy are Canadian citizens / permanent residents of Canada. Applicants need not identify their country of origin or citizenship; however, all applications must include one of the following statements: “I am a Canadian citizen / permanent resident of Canada”; OR, “I am not a Canadian citizen / permanent resident of Canada”. Applications that do not include this information will be deemed incomplete.
- A complete application consists of: a cover letter (including one of the two statements regarding Canadian citizenship / permanent resident status specified in the previous paragraph); a current Curriculum Vitae (including a list of publications); a statement of research interests; a statement of teaching interests and experience (including teaching outlines and evaluations, if available); and, the names and contact information of three individuals who, if requested, will provide letters of reference. lease submit your application electronically to: Dr. Leslie Flynn, Vice-Dean, Education, Faculty of Health Sciences (c/o Ms. Christine Mandy: email@example.com)
- Review begins: 15 Oct. 2016 and continues until position filled
University of Nebraska-Lincoln (USA:NE) [Senior Hire]Edit
- Endowed professorship - Associate or Full - in the History of Medicine, to begin Aug. 2017
- The successful candidate will serve as the Wilson Professor in the History of Medicine and as the Director of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Humanities in Medicine program. Scholars from any sub-field and any period in the history of medicine broadly are welcome to apply. The position requires a Ph.D., a demonstrated track record of excellent scholarship and teaching, as well as interest in leading an academic program.
- To be considered for the position, applicants must complete the Faculty/Administrative Information Form at http://employment.unl.edu, requisition F_150262, and upload a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and writing samples, and have three confidential letters of reference sent to Professor David Cahan, Chair, Search Committee, Department of History, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 612 Oldfather Hall, Lincoln, NE 68588-0327.
- Review begins 7 Oct. 2016
History of ScienceEdit
Harvard University (USA:MA) - History of Modern Science and Technology in East AsiaEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the history of modern (20thC forward) science and technology in East Asia, to begin 1 Jul. 2017
- PhD expected by start date
- The Department is especially interested in candidates who show exceptional promise as scholars, teachers, and mentors, and can offer broad courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels that will complement those of the current faculty
- Applications should include a curriculum vitae, an outline of present scholarly projects and future plans, a statement of teaching experience and approach, a writing sample, and the names and contact details of three persons who will write letters of recommendation. All materials should be submitted directly to the Harvard academic positions site athttp://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/71
- Deadline: 21 Oct. 2016.
- Also posted at Asian History 2016-17
History of TechnologyEdit
- Tenure track Assistant Professorship in political, social, and cultural history of technology in the modern era (nineteenth and twentieth centuries, to begin 1 Jul. 2017
- Some preference will be given to applicants whose work lies outside the United States, or who conduct transnational and comparative research. A PhD in History is required
- We invite scholars working on all topics related to technology, especially technologies that involve: the infrastructures of markets, labor organization, media and communication, reproductive and other technologies of the body, urban life, surveillance and violence, infrastructures of colonialism and imperialism, ecology, energy, transportation, calculation and computation.
- Interested candidates must apply online at: https://careers.newschool.edu/postings/13268
- Deadline: 21 Nov. 2016
Purdue University (USA:IN) - pref. western/militaryEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in the history of technology, with a specialisation in western tech, and a possible teaching and research field in military technology
- Ph.D. in History required
- The successful candidate will develop undergraduate and graduate courses in the history of technology in western civilization and military technology as well as contribute to the intellectual life of the department
- Please submit a letter of application, C.V., writing sample (which may be a dissertation chapter, article, or book), evidence of teaching excellence, and at least three letters of reference. Questions about the position should be directed to Doug Hurt, Head, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic applications can be sent to Rebecca Gwin, Administrative Assistant email@example.com or to the Department of History, 672 Oval Drive, University Hall 231, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana 47907
- Review begins: 30 Nov. 2016 and continues until position filled.