This page is dedicated to academic jobs in German. The jobs found here are added by individuals as well as drawn from sources such as the MLA job list, Higher Ed Jobs, the Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Ed, jobs.ac.uk, and other lists and websites.
Please add jobs with the following format:
Name of college/university, title/rank, preferred area(s) of specialization, application due date, link to job ad.
As job search progress indicators become available, add the type of information and date. The link to a job description can be deleted after the application due date. After an offer has been accepted, please underline the name of the institution so that we can easily see which positions have already been filled.
- Midwest Dreamland U, asst. prof., 20th C, due 11/1/18
- writing sample requested by email, 12/1 (x5)
- phone interview scheduled, 12/15 (x4)
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/20 (x3)
- on-campus interview invitation, 1/15
- offer extended, 3/15
- offer accepted, 3/25
- rejection letter received, 4/1
Recent Activity (RSS Feed)Edit
Tenure Track Faculty Positions Edit
- Amherst C (MA), asst., assoc., or full prof., due 1/5/19, link
- C of Charleston (SC), asst. prof., due 12/7/18, link
- Zoom interview requested, 12/12 (x4)
- C of William & Mary (VA), asst. prof., migration, multiculturalism, intercultural literature, due 11/5/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/28 (x3)
- Campus interview scheduled, 12/11
- Columbia U (NY), asst. prof., post-1700, due 11/5/18, link
- Zoom interview requested, 12/4 (x2)
- Cornell U (NY), asst. prof., media studies, pre-1800, due 11/15/18, link
- MLA interview requested, 12/6
- Duke U (NC), asst. prof., due 11/1/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/28
- Elon U (NC), asst. prof., due 12/7/18, link
- Acknowledged receipt of application, 12/13
- Emory U/Oxford C (GA), asst. prof., due 10/15/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 12/15 (x2)
- Franklin and Marshall C (PA), asst. prof. or instructor, due 11/1/18, link
- WebEx interview requested, 11/28 (x4)
- Georgetown U (DC), asst. prof, 20th-Cent Modernism, due 10/29/18, link
- Zoom interview requested, 11/28
- Campus interview invitation, 12/13
- Rejection email received, 12/13 (x4)
- Illinois SU, asst. prof., due 11/1/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/30 (x3)
- On-campus interview requested, 12/18
- Indiana U, asst. prof., due 10/15/18, link
- Additional writing sample requested, 10/29
- Skype/Zoom Interview requested, 11/15 (x3)
- On-campus interview requested, 12/17
- Lawrence U (WI), asst. prof., Enlightenment to present, due 11/1/18, link
- MLA interview requested, 11/20 (x4)
- Rejection email received, 12/12 (x3)
- Midwestern SU (TX), asst. prof., due 11/5/18, link
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/4
- Pennsylvania SU, asst. or assoc. prof., Holocaust Studies and Visual Studies, open until filled, link; also posted at Jewish Studies 2018-2019
- interview requested, 11/20 [posted on the Jewish Studies wiki]
- Rutgers U (NJ), asst. prof., post-1945 German lit., due 11/5/18, link
- MLA Interview requested, 11/20 (x5)
- U of Maryland, asst. prof., environmental humanities, due 11/9/18, link
- LORs requested, 11/14
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/10 (x3)
- U of Minnesota, Twin Cities, asst. prof., due 11/1/18, link
- LORs requested, 11/14
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/3
- U of Mississippi, asst. prof., pre-1800, link
- U of North Carolina, Asheville, asst. or assoc. prof. of German & directorship of the Center of Jewish Studies, due 11/1/18, link. Also posted at Jewish Studies 2018-2019
- Review of applications will take place on 12/5 and invitations for skype interviews will follow that [posted by search committee member]
- Invitations for skype interviews have been sent and times for skype interviews have been finalized
- U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, asst. prof., German-Jewish Studies, due 11/2/18, link. Also posted at Jewish Studies 2018-2019
- Skype interview scheduled, 11/27 (x2)
- Washington U (MO), asst. prof., post-1800, due 11/15/18, link
- Writing sample requested, 12/5 (x4)
- MLA interview requested, 12/14
- Wesleyan U (CT), asst. prof., Enlightenment, Weimar Classicism, and Romanticism, due 9/7/18, link
- Skype interview scheduled, 9/26
- Campus interview scheduled, 10/18
- Offer received, 11/19
- Offer accepted, 11/20
- Wofford C (SC), asst. prof., ability to teach French/Arabic or gen. ed. in English, due 10/25/18, link
- Skype interview scheduled, 11/18 (x6)
- Campus interview invitation, 12/14
Senior Faculty Positions Edit
- U of Chicago (IL), assoc. or full prof., open, due 12/1/18, link
- U of Massachusetts Amherst, assoc. or full prof., German film and media, academic dir. of DEFA Film Library, due 11/13/18, link
- MLA interview scheduled, 11/29 (x3)
Visiting/non-tenure track/term limited faculty positions Edit
- Colgate U (NY), visiting asst. prof., due asap, link
- Grinnell C (IA), 2-yr. asst. prof., German-Jewish studies, due 2/1/19, link
- Grinnell C (IA), 1-yr. asst. prof., contemporary German studies, due 2/1/19, link
- High Point U (NC), visiting asst. prof., due 12/6/18, link
- Kennesaw SU (GA), lecturer, due 11/26/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/30
- On campus interview invitation, 12/13
- U of Central Florida, instructor or lecturer, due 11/15/18, link
- Zoom interview requested, 12/6
- U of Manitoba, 3-yr. instructor in German Studies, due 1/4/19, link
- U of Nebraska-Lincoln, asst. prof. of practice, due 2/15/19, link
Applied Linguistics/Language Coordinator/Pedagogy/Program Director Positions Edit
- Furman U (SC), asst., assoc., or full prof., applied linguistics, due 11/8/18, link
- Skype Interview requested, 12/6 (x4)
- Indiana U-Purdue U Indianapolis, named chair and asst., assoc., or full prof., German-American Studies and/or applied linguistics, due 11/19/18, link
- Pennsylvania SU, lecturer/ asst./ assoc. teaching prof./ lang. coordinator, due 12/5/18, link
Renewable non-tenure track lecturer/instructor positions Edit
- Baylor U (TX), lecturer of German, due 10/15/18, link
- Webex interview requested, 12/6
- Boston C (MA), 3-yr. renewable asst. prof. of practice, due 11/1/18, link
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/4
- Hampden-Sydney C (VA), 1-yr. renewable visiting asst. prof., due 12/3/18, link
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 3-yr. renewable lecturer in German, due 10/1/18, link.
- Skype interview invitation, 10/12
- New York U, 3-yr. renewable lecturer in German, due 2/22/19, link
- Northeastern U (MA), teaching professor in German/writing, due 1/7/19, link
- U of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, non-tenure track renewable contract (NTRC) position as Assistant Professor of German, review begins 1/21/19, link
- U of Florida, 1-yr. renewable lecturer of German, due 12/1/18, link
- lor and videoconference interview requested, 12/6
- U of North Carolina, Wilmington, renewable lecturer of German, due 2/15/19, link
Spring 2019 Positions Edit
- Bradley U (IL), visting instructor or asst. prof., spring 2019, due 10/15/18, link
- Phone interview requested, 10/22 (x5)
- On campus interview invitation, 10/29 (x3)
- Longwood U (VA), 3-semester lecturer, due 12/7/18, link
- Rhodes C (TN), 2-yr. renewable asst. prof., Jan. 2019-spring 2021, due 10/22/18, link
- Rejection Email received, 12/17 (x5)
- U of Chicago (IL), 1-yr. non-renewable lecturer, starting Jan. 2019, due 11/19/18, link
- U of Iowa, 1-yr. renewable visiting asst. prof., Jan 2019-Jan 2020, due 11/16/18, link
- Washington and Lee U (VA), 2.5-yr. visiting asst. prof., due 10/1/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 10/16 (x2)
- On campus interview invitation, 10/29 (x2)
- Offer accepted, 11/30
Faculty Positions outside of Canada and the U.S. Edit
- Durham U (UK), asst. prof., due 11/22/18, link
Multi-Language Faculty Positions Edit
- Arizona SU, asst. prof., environmental humanities with background in French, German or Italian studies, due 12/4/18, link. Also posted at French and Francophone Studies 2018-2019 and Italian 2018-2019.
- U of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, non-tenure track renewable as asst. prof. of tech. assisted lang. learning (language of specialization open), due 12/1/18, link
- U of California Los Angeles, asst. prof., European languages and transcultural studies (2 positions, incl. German), due 11/1/18, link. Also posted at French and Francophone Studies 2018-2019 and Italian 2018-2019.
- U of California Santa Barbara, asst. prof., European translation studies, due 11/15/18, link. Also posted at Comparative 2019 and French and Francophone Studies 2018-2019
- U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, asst. prof. Central European Studies, due 11/15/18, link. Also posted at Russian/Slavic 2018-2019.
- Skype interview requested, 11/30
- Rejection Email received, 12/19
Other Germanic Languages Edit
Other German-Related Faculty Positions Edit
NOTE: German History positions are posted at European History 2018-19
Change the count in the category to which you belong. This permits us to have somewhat of an overview on the nature of the market demographics in German Studies.
ABD (early): 1
ABD (will finish this academic year): 4
Ph.D. in hand (one-year, VAP, Lecturer, Post-doc, adjunct): 15
PhD in hand (employed full-time; Senior Lecturer; looking for tenure track): 1
Ph.D. in hand (unemployed): 1
Assistant Professor: 1
Associate Professor: 3
Search Committee Member:1
Faculty "Job Coach":
- Shouldn't Wofford job be listed under Multi-Language positions? The ad clearly states that the candidate will have to teach German and Arabic or French.
- Change Made.
- The original listing now clearly lists the position's secondary requirements
- Open rank searches are traditionally listed with the other tenure track positions and not with senior searches. Please check to see if a position is already listed in one of the categories before you add the position.
- Is the College of Charleston job a VAP or tenure-track? The word "visiting" is in the posting, but the title is just assistant professor, and the application material, if I'm not mistaken, is much more comprehensive than for the VAP listing they had last year...
- Received confirmation from the search committee chair that C of Charleston's search is for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of German, 10/26
- Search Committee confirmed that applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis starting tomorrow (12/8) and confirmed Interfolio page for CofC job will remain open into the start of the new year.
- Communicated with the Chair at C of Charleston about replacing the requested teaching demo with something else. Here's the response: "Although our preference is for a teaching video, the committee does not want to preclude anyone from applying and is happy to accept a portfolio of course evaluations from students and observations from colleagues in lieu of a video." 12/7
- Re: Furman U: Per insider information, anyone who is willing and able to contribute to the university's linguistics program is encouraged to apply, this includes German Studies candidates.
- Applicants are encouraged to contact the Chair of the search, Linda Bartlett (firstname.lastname@example.org), to confirm all of their materials were successfully submitted. Furman recently switched to a new computer administration system
- Due to some technical issues with the aforementioned computer system, the application due date has been extended to November 8.
- Metoo alert on Kennesaw State job. Chair of language department has history of sexual harassment/assault attempts at previous positions.
- Bless you for this (x5)
- Read comment #7 by user "grand forks": https://www.chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/tenure-appeal-at-u-of-north-dakota-puts-spotlight-on-collegiality/67855
- Comment refers to this part of the report: "Rice, who met with Mosher and reviewed documents in her case at her request, said a sexual harassment claim Mosher made against a former colleague apparently had "tainted" her reviews, noting that one faculty member had said she voted against Mosher because she didn't want to be called as a witness in a possible legal action. That former colleague, no longer at the university, appeared to give undue weight to some criticisms of Mosher's behavior toward students "in retaliation for his spurned romantic advances," Askim-Lovseth, the former mentor, testified."
- What are tenured faculty and search committee members doing to protect applicants?
- I deleted a response that contributes to rape culture on college campuses.
- I deleted another response that contributes to rape culture on college campuses.
- I sincerely hope the person(s) who keep writing those unwarranted remarks on this discussion board find a new hobby. This is a space for information and transparency. They should learn to keep on scrolling.
- RE: The Longwood lecturer job-- I just corresponded with one of the German faculty members and got more specific details on the position beyond those in the ad. I was told to spread the word to other applicants that both faculty members are happy to answer any questions about the position directly.
- Wait, so did Lawrence send out MLA invites or not? Receiving mixed signals here...
- They did. Not sure why it was deleted. I restored it.
- The UCLA search has 500 applicants.
- So you're saying there's a chance (x2)
- ^ Bless you for the much-needed LOLz today!
- Apologies for posting 2nd hand info about interviews being held; my information turned out to be false, so I deleted it.
- Do we know what is going on with the Emory University search? It seems pretty quiet on that front...
- I have heard from a reliable source that there is likely an internal candidate, just FYI.
- I see - that makes sense since there have been absolutely no changes since the job was advertised. Thank you so much for posting the update!
- Keep in mind too that there are probably several people on the market lurking without otherwise contributing to this site as well and I imagine the university will still have to go through the hopes of preliminary interviews, etc.
- Very true...never boring, I guess.
- Re: the German-Jewish position at UNC Chapel Hill: Some interviewees thought they were told that they would hear about progressing to on-campus visits by 12/14. But the Wiki hasn't been updated to indicate that anyone has been told. Do any readers know if invites have been sent out? And thanks so much for maintaining this page!