This page is dedicated to academic jobs in German. The jobs found here are added by individuals as well as drawn from sources such as the MLA job list, Higher Ed Jobs, the Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Ed, jobs.ac.uk, and other lists and websites.
Please add jobs with the following format:
Name of college/university, title/rank, preferred area(s) of specialization, application due date, link to job ad.
As job search progress indicators become available, add the type of information and date. The link to a job description can be deleted after the application due date. After an offer has been accepted, please underline the name of the institution so that we can easily see which positions have already been filled.
- Midwest Dreamland U, asst. prof., 20th C, due 11/1/18
- writing sample requested by email, 12/1 (x5)
- phone interview scheduled, 12/15 (x4)
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/20 (x3)
- on-campus interview invitation, 1/15
- offer extended, 3/15
- offer accepted, 3/25
- rejection letter received, 4/1
Recent Activity (RSS Feed)Edit
Tenure Track Faculty Positions Edit
- Amherst C (MA), asst., assoc., or full prof., due 1/5/19, link
- C of William & Mary (VA), asst. prof., migration, multiculturalism, intercultural literature, due 11/5/18, link
- Columbia U (NY), asst. prof., post-1700, due 11/5/18, link
- Cornell U (NY), asst. prof., media studies, pre-1800, due 11/15/18, link
- Duke U (NC), asst. prof., due 11/1/18, link
- Emory U/Oxford C (GA), asst. prof., due 10/15/18, link
- Franklin and Marshall C (PA), asst. prof. or instructor, due 11/1/18, link
- Georgetown U (DC), asst. prof, 20th-Cent Modernism, due 10/29/18, link
- Illinois SU, asst. prof., due 11/1/18, link
- Indiana U, asst. prof., due 10/15/18, link
- Lawrence U (WI), asst. prof., Enlightenment to present, due 11/1/18, link
- Midwestern SU (TX), asst. prof., due 11/5/18, link
- Pennsylvania SU, asst. or assoc. prof., Holocaust Studies and Visual Studies, open until filled, link; also posted at Jewish Studies 2018-2019
- Rutgers U (NJ), asst. prof., post-1945 German lit., due 11/5/18, link
- U of Maryland, asst. prof., environmental humanities, due 11/9/18, link
- U of Minnesota, Twin Cities, asst. prof., due 11/1/18, link
- U of North Carolina, Asheville, asst. or assoc. prof. of German & directorship of the Center of Jewish Studies, due 11/1/18, link. Also posted at Jewish Studies 2018-2019
- U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, asst. prof., German-Jewish Studies, due 11/2/18, link. Also posted at Jewish Studies 2018-2019,
- Washington U (MO), asst. prof., post-1800, due 11/15/18, link
- Wesleyan U (CT), asst. prof., Enlightenment, Weimar Classicism, and Romanticism, due 9/7/18, link
- Wofford C (SC), asst. prof., ability to teach French/Arabic or gen. ed. in English, due 10/25/18, link
Senior Faculty Positions Edit
- U of Chicago (IL), assoc. or full prof., open, due 12/1/18, link
- U of Massachusetts Amherst, assoc. or full prof., German film and media, academic dir. of DEFA Film Library, due 11/13/18, link
Visiting/non-tenure track/term limited faculty positions Edit
- U of Central Florida, instructor or lecturer, due 11/15/18, link
- U of Manitoba, 3-yr. instructor in German Studies, due 1/4/19, link
- U of Nebraska-Lincoln, asst. prof. of practice, due 2/15/19, link
Applied Linguistics/Language Coordinator/Pedagogy/Program Director Positions Edit
- Furman U (SC), asst., assoc., or full prof., applied linguistics, due 11/1/18, link
- Indian U-Purdue U Indianapolis, named chair and asst., assoc., or full prof., German-American Studies and/or applied linguistics, due 11/19/18, link
Renewable non-tenure track lecturer/instructor positions Edit
- Baylor U (TX), lecturer of German, due 10/15/18, link
- Boston C (MA), 3-yr. renewable asst. prof. of practice, due 11/1/18, link
- Hampden-Sydney C (VA), 1-yr. renewable visiting asst. prof., due 12/3/18, link
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 3-yr. renewable lecturer in German, due 10/1/18, link.
- Skype interview invitation 10/12
- U of Florida, 1-yr. renewable lecturer of German, due 12/1/18, link
Spring 2019 Positions Edit
- Bradley U (IL), visting instructor or asst. prof., spring 2019-spring 2020, due 10/15/18, link
- Rhodes C (TN), 2-yr. renewable asst. prof., Jan. 2019-spring 2021, due 10/22/18, link
- Washington and Lee U (VA), 2.5-yr. visiting asst. prof., due 10/1/18, link
Faculty Positions outside of Canada and the U.S. Edit
- Durham U (UK), asst. prof., due 11/22/18, link
Multi-Language Faculty Positions Edit
- U of California Los Angeles, asst. prof., European languages and transcultural studies (2 positions, incl. German), due 11/1/18, link. Also posted at French and Francophone Studies 2018-2019 and Italian 2018-2019.
- U of California Santa Barbara, asst. prof., European translation studies, due 11/15/18, link. Also posted at Comparative 2019 and French and Francophone Studies 2018-2019
- U of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, asst. prof. Central European Studies, due 11/15/18, link. Also posted at Russian/Slavic 2018-2019.
Other Germanic Languages Edit
Other German-Related Faculty Positions Edit
NOTE: German History positions are posted at European History 2018-19
Change the count in the category to which you belong. This permits us to have somewhat of an overview on the nature of the market demographics in German Studies.
ABD (will finish this academic year): 2
Ph.D. in hand (one-year, VAP, Lecturer, Post-doc, adjunct): 9
PhD in hand (employed full-time; Senior Lecturer; looking for tenure track):
Ph.D. in hand (unemployed): 1
Search Committee Member:
Faculty "Job Coach":
- Shouldn't Wofford job be listed under Multi-Language positions? The ad clearly states that the candidate will have to teach German and Arabic or French.
- Change Made.
- The original listing now clearly lists the position's secondary requirements
- Open rank searches are traditionally listed with the other tenure track positions and not with senior searches.