This page is dedicated to academic jobs in German. The jobs found here are added by individuals as well as drawn from sources such as the MLA job list, Higher Ed Jobs, the Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Ed, jobs.ac.uk, and other lists and websites.
Please add jobs with the following format:
Name of college/university, title/rank, preferred area(s) of specialization, application due date, link to job ad.
As job search progress indicators become available, add the type of information and date. The link to a job description can be deleted after the application due date. After an offer has been accepted, please underline the name of the institution so that we can easily see which positions have already been filled.
- Midwest Dreamland U, 16/17th C, due 11/1/17
- writing sample requested by email 12/1
- phone interview scheduled 12/15
- MLA interview scheduled 12/20
- on-campus interview invitation 1/15
- offer extended 3/15
- offer accepted 3/25
- rejection letter received 4/1
Recent Activity (RSS Feed)Edit
Tenure Track Faculty Positions Edit
- Auburn U (AL), asst. prof. due 11/1/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/17 (x3)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 12/1 (x2)
- Offer made, 2/7
- Ball SU (IN), asst. prof. due 11/19/17, link
- phone interview requested, 12/1 (x3)
- on-campus interview invitation, 12/21
- offer made, 2/6
- offer accepted, 2/15
- Bucknell U (PA), open rank, German-Jewish lit. & culture, due 10/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 10/24
- On-campus interview scheduled, 11/10
- Colorado C, asst. prof., modernism/20th C culture, due 11/1/17, link
- Skype/MLA interview requested, 12/16
- C of DuPage (IL), asst. prof., experience with ESL preferred, due 1/15/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 2/19 (x2)
- Gettysburg C (PA), asst. prof., open, due 11/1/17, link
- MLA interview scheduled, 11/20 (x4)
- Kennesaw SU (GA), asst. prof., open, due 10/17/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 10/30 (x3)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 12/4
- Rejection letter received, 12/5 (x10)
- Longwood U (VA), asst. prof., due 11/1/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 12/6
- On-campus interview scheduled, 12/14
- Rejection letter indicating position has been filled, 2/9 (x3)
- Montana SU, asst. prof., review begins 12/1/17, link
- interview requested via phone call, 12/8
- Skype interview scheduled via email, 12/12
- on-campus interview scheduled, 1/16
- offer made, 2/9
- offer declined, 2/13
- Northern Michigan U, asst. prof, due 2/15/18, link
- Oakland U (MI), asst. prof., pre-20th C and feminist or queer theory, link
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/22 (x2)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 1/18
- Reed C (OR), asst. prof., post-1700, due 11/10/17, link
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/8 (x3)
- additional materials requested, 1/8
- On-campus interview scheduled, 1/17
- US Naval Academy (MD), asst. prof., review begins 11/17/17, link
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/4 (x2)
- U of British Columbia, asst. prof., due 11/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/22 (x3)
- Rejection letter received, 12/5 (x4)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 12/21
- U of California Berkeley, asst. prof., pref. for post-War lit., due 11/3/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/22
- On-campus Interview scheduled
- Rejection letter received 12/14 (x7)
- U of Chicago (IL), asst. prof., due 11/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 12/5
- On-campus interview requested, 12/20
- U of Cincinnati (OH), asst. prof., review until filled, link
- U of Rhode Island, asst. prof., German for professional purposes, review begins 10/30/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/4 (x5)
- On-campus interview requested, 11/16
- offer made and accepted, 12/21
- U of South Carolina-Upstate, asst. prof., translation/interpretation, link
- Skype interview requested, 1/26 (x3)
- On-campus interview scheduled
- U of Wisconsin-Madison, asst. prof., early Germanic, link
- Skype interview requested, 12/1
- Valparaiso U (IN), asst prof., generalist, due 11/17/17, link
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/8 (x2)
- On-campus interview requested, 1/13
- Virginia Tech, asst. prof., Goethezeit, due 11/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 12/5 (x2)
- On-campus interview requested, 12/27
- Offer made, 2/19
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute (MA), asst. prof., due 10/15/17, link
- References contacted, 11/17 (x5)
- interview requested, 11/22 (x2)
- Rejection received (after campus interview), 2/2
Senior Faculty Positions Edit
- Johns Hopkins U (MD), Kurrelmeyer Chair of German, due 10/15/17, link
- Michigan SU, founding Director of the School of Language Sciences & Literary and Cultural Studies (SLS&LCS), review begins 10/16/17, link
- U of Colorado Boulder, visiting senior scholar in German Studies, for either Fall 2018 or Spring 2019, review begins 2/15/18, link
Visiting/non-tenure track/term limited faculty positions Edit
- Colby C (ME), 1-yr. faculty fellow, due 1/15/18, link
- Skype interview requested 1/29 (x3)
- C of Charleston (SC), visiting asst. prof., review begins 2/9/18, link
- C of Wooster (OH), visiting asst. prof., due 2/2/18, link
- Concordia U (Montreal), 1-3 year position, due 3/30/18, link
- Georgia Tech, GLACT postdoctoral teaching position in German, due 2/1/18, rolling link
- Hamilton C, 3-year VAP, due 3/26/18, link
- High Point U (NC), visiting asst. prof., due 12/20/17, link
- Contacted for Skype interview 1/26 (x3)
- Additional materials requested, 2/14 (x2)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 2/16
- Lafayette C (PA), visiting asst. prof., due 3/21/18, link
- Sewanee: U of the South (TN), 1-yr. visiting asst. prof., review begins 3/12/18, link
- U of Arizona, 1-yr. full-time adjunct lecturer, review begins 3/1/18 link
- U of Connecticut, 1-yr. asst. prof. in residence, due 1/12/18, link
- U of Maryland, College Park, 1-yr. visiting asst. prof., environmental humanities, due 11/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 11/30 (x3)
- Offer made (reliable 2nd hand information)
- Offer accepted (reliable 2nd hand information)
- U of North Carolina Wilmington, 1-yr. full-time nonrenewable lecturer, priority consideration deadline 3/9/18, link
- Wabash C (IN), 1-yr. visiting asst. prof., due 2/25/18, link
- Whitman C (WA), 1-yr. visiting asst. prof., due 2/12/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 2/12
Applied Linguistics/Language Coordinator/Pedagogy/Program Director Positions Edit
- Columbia U (NY), lecturer/senior lecturer, due 11/1/17, link
- MLA interview requested, 11/22 (x4)
- Campus interview requested, 1/15
- U of Cincinnati (OH), asst. prof. educator; director of Basic Languages; review begins 3/1/18, link
- U of Rhode Island, asst. prof., language and applied linguistics, review begins 11/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 12/15
- U of Texas at Austin, asst. prof., due 11/15/17 extended to 12/1, link
- Email: committee plans to meet later this week to select Skype interview candidates, 12/4
- Rejection letter received, 12/8 (x3)
- Skype Interview requested, 12/8 (x3)
- Invitation to Campus Interview, 12/9 (x1)
Renewable non-tenure track lecturer/instructor positions Edit
- Baylor U (TX), lecturer, due 11/1/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 2/1 (x5)
- Carleton C (MN), lecturer, due 12/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 1/30 (x4)
- On-campus interview requested, 2/7
- Gustavus Adolphus C (MN), one year with anticipated continuation, link
- Northwestern U (IL), asst. prof. of instruction, due 2/9/18, link
- Texas Tech U, asst. prof. of the practice, due 12/31/17, link
- U of British Columbia, 2-year lecturer, due 3/15/18, link
- U of Iowa, lecturer, contemporary German lit. and culture, due 2/1/18, link
- Skype interview requested, 2/14
- U of Pittsburgh (PA), visiting lectureship with possibility of renewal, due 2/16/18, link
- Yale U (CT), lector, due 12/15/17, link
- Skype interview requested, 1/15 (x2), 1/17
- Rejection letter received 2/1 (x3), after skype interview 2/1 (x2)
Spring 2018 Positions Edit
- Cornell C (IA), German studies instructor, link
Faculty Positions outside of Canada and the U.S. Edit
- Durham U (UK), asst. prof., due 12/17/17, link
- Rejection Received, 1/31 (x2)
- National U of Singapore, lecturer/senior lecturer, due 10/15/17, link
Multi-Language Faculty Positions Edit
- Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics, and Humanities (IN), instructor of German and Russian, due 12/1/17, link
- U of Arizona, asst. prof., intercultural competence (2 positions, incl. German), due 11/20/17, link. Also posted at Interdisciplinary Humanities and Liberal Arts 2017-2018, Ethnic Studies 2017-2018, Spanish and Portuguese 2017-2018, and French and Francophone Studies 2017-2018.
- Posted in French and Francophone Studies : "Request for Skype in early Jan via email [12/21]"
Other Germanic Languages Edit
Other German-Related Faculty Positions Edit
NOTE: German History positions are posted at European History 2017-18
- U of North Carolina Chapel Hill, Central European Studies (incl. Hungarian), due 11/13/17, link. Also posted at Russian/Slavic 2017-2018.
Change the count in the category to which you belong. This permits us to have somewhat of an overview on the nature of the market demographics in German Studies.
ABD (will finish this academic year): 14
Ph.D. in hand (one-year, VAP, Lecturer, Post-doc, adjunct): 19
PhD in hand (employed full-time; Senior Lecturer; looking for tenure track): 1
Ph.D. in hand (unemployed): 0
Assistant Professor: 4
Associate Professor: 5
Search Committee Member: 3
Concerned grandmother: 1
Faculty "Job Coach": 1
- Two requests: Please do not delete any position that has been added. If a search has been cancelled, strike through it. Please also check before adding a new position to see whether it might already be in a different section. If you disagree with where the position has been placed, discuss the categorization in this section rather than simply duplicate it.
- Positions that are open rank = tenure track faculty + senior faculty. Should be listed in both. (Some things, studies have shown and experts agree, are more than one, not either / or ... )
- The purpose here isn't to deny that some jobs could reasonably be placed in multiple categories. It's just to make things easier once people start posting status updates.
- Idea: post it in both categories with request for people to post update status updates under tenure track.
- This is becoming needlessly complicated. Senior faculty positions are only for already tenured faculty whereas the tenure track positions are either expressly for or open to non-tenured applicants. Positions that are open rank or adv. asst. have in the past been listed in the first section.
- Q. (Ball SU) Does anyone know why their system asks applicants to upload their own LoRs? Am I to understand that they want non-confidential letters of recommendation?!
- This is most likely due to a miscommunication between the dept. and HR rather than a request for non-confidential letters.
- According to their search committee head, Ball State just implemented the job site this year and this was not something the department anticipated HR doing. They're in communication with HR right now about fixing it.
- HR has resolved the issue.
- The Naval Academy job is now listed on the USNA website.
- The Ball State German/Russian Instructor job is actually at the Indiana Academy of Science and the Humanities, a magnet school for advanced high school students. We can list it here, but it's not a college/university position.
- Anyone know anything about the U Chicago search? The interfolio link seems to be inactive. Was it cancelled?
- U of Chicago isn't actually using Interfolio for submissions; it's using a local job site. There seems to be a problem with the job site though too. I was able to access the Interfolio page advertising the position. I recommend contacting the job site's administrative email (ACOppAdministrator@uchicago.edu) and the department contact person, Ingrid Sagor (email@example.com), especially as letters of recommendation are instructed to be sent to her email.
- I am able to access the application site here . You should be able to find the listing by searching with the job posting number from the Interfolio page linked above (03483)
- Has anyone heard anything about the Oakland University Job? Have they contacted first-round interviewees?
- Oakland, anyone?
- Campus visits? Has Oakland sent those invitations out yet?
- Haven't heard anything yet. My guess is that several interviews were probably postponed to skype because of the weather in NYC, and thus it might take longer?
- Good point. I suppose that's the case for a lot of positions that had MLA interviews this year.
- Has anyone heard about USC Upstate?
- job site says Skype interviews to be conducted in January 2018. They will likely contact people after the holidays.
- Has anyone heard about Worcester Polytechnic Institute?
- I was told (after having a phone interview with them) to expect to hear from no later than the end January.
- U of Cincinnati posting: Has anybody figured out how to get into the actual online application? I can set up a profile but the link they give for the actual position kicks me back to the jobs home page. >>> solved: turn off adblocker and/or use Safari.