This page is dedicated to academic jobs in German. The jobs found here are added by individuals as well as drawn from sources such as the MLA job list, Higher Ed Jobs, the Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Ed, jobs.ac.uk, and other lists and websites.
Please add jobs with the following format:
Name of college/university, title/rank, preferred area(s) of specialization, application due date, link to job ad.
As job search progress indicators become available, add the type of information and date. The link to a job description can be deleted after the application due date. After an offer has been accepted, please underline the name of the institution so that we can easily see which positions have already been filled.
- Midwest Dreamland U, 16/17th C, due 11/1/16
- writing sample requested by email 12/1
- phone interview scheduled 12/15
- MLA interview scheduled 12/20
- on-campus interview invitation 1/15
- offer extended 3/15
- offer accepted 3/25
- rejection letter received 4/1
Recent Activity (RSS Feed)Edit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/German_Studies_2016-2017?feed=rss&action=history
Tenure Track Literature/Culture/Film Faculty Positions Edit
- California SU, Fresno, asst. prof., German and Ethnic Humanities, review begins 10/16/16, link.
- Official transcripts and letters of recommendation requested, 10/20 (x3)
- Skype interview requested 10/20, 10/25
- Rejection email received (no Skype interview), 11/4 (x4)
- on-campus interview invitation, 11/17
- received email that position has been filled, 12/27
- offer made and accepted, 12/22
- Coastal Carolina U (SC), asst. prof., open until filled, link.
- phone interview requested, 12/21 (x3)
- Georgia Tech, asst. prof., due 11/3/16, link.
- Skype interview and letters of recommendation requested, 11/15 (x2)
Hamilton C(NY), asst. prof., due 12/1/16, link.
- search changed to VAP (see below)
- James Madison U (VA), asst. prof., literature after 1750, review begins 2/1/17, link
- Kalamazoo C (MI), asst. prof., ability to teach a broad range of courses covering lang., lit., visual media and the cultures of German-speaking countries, due 11/1/16, link.
- Skype interview requested, 12/6 (x2)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 1/5
- Lehigh U (PA), asst. prof., modern German lit. and culture (19-20th c.), due 11/22/16, link.
- MLA interview requested, 12/14 (x4)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 1/12
- Princeton U (NJ), asst. prof., pre-1890, due 11/4/16, link.
- Writing sample requested, 11/15 (x4)
- MLA interview requested (by phone), 12/15
- Stanford U (CA), asst. prof., open specialization with competence in all periods of German lit. and culture, due 11/1/16, link.
- MLA interview scheduled, 11/18 (x5)
- Rejection email received, 1/10, without MLA interview (x2)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 1/12 (x3)
- Texas SU, asst. prof., due 11/4/16,link.
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/9 (x5)
- on-campus interview requested, 1/11 (x3)
- Tufts U (MA), asst. prof., specialization open with expertise in film/visual arts and interdisciplinary approaches, review begins 10/28/16, link
- MLA interview scheduled, 12/5 (x4)
- U of Alabama, asst prof.,18th- and/or 19th-C German lit. and culture, review begins 11/7/16, link.
- Skype interview requested, 11/30 (x4)
- U of Georgia, asst. prof., German film and media studies, due 11/6/16, link.
- Skype interview requested, 12/9 (x2)
- U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, asst. prof., German medieval studies, due 11/22/16, link.
- Valparaiso U (IN), asst. prof., medieval/early modern, due 11/18/16, link.
- MLA interview requested, 12/8 (x3)
- on-campus interview requested 1/19
- Yale U (CT), asst. prof., race and ethnicity studies, the natural sciences, social and political thought, gender and sexuality studies, or the history of ideas between 1850 and the present, due 11/15/16, link.
- MLA interview and writing sample requested, 12/14 (x3)
Senior Faculty Positions Edit
Visiting/Lecturer/non-Tenure Track Positions Edit
- Auburn U (AL), renewable instructor, due 1/31/2017, link
- Bowdoin C (ME), 2-yr. visiting asst. prof. (sabbatical replacement), review begins 11/15/16, link
- MLA interview invitation, 12/2 (x4)
- post-MLA phone interview scheduled, 1/11 (x2)
- on-campus interview scheduled 1/19
- C of Saint Benedict/ Saint John's U (MN), 2-year visiting assistant, due 1/23/2017, link
- Colby C (ME), full-time, 2-yr. visiting asst. prof. (contingent on successful first year), open, review begins 10/19/16, link.
- Skype interview scheduled, 11/2 (x5)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 11/10 (x2)
- Offer made and accepted, 12/16
- Colgate U (NY), 1-yr visiting asst. prof., open, review begins 12/5/16, link
- MLA interview requested, 12/16
- On-campus interview invitation, 1/13
- Columbia U (NY), full-time, multi-year (contingent on successful review) lecturer, review begins 11/1/16, link
- interview requested and scheduled, 12/16 (x2)
- email notification: not invited for campus interviews, possible second round (1/9)
- Duke U, 1-year visiting assistant/associate, due 2/15/2017, link
- Elon U (NC), 3-yr. visiting asst. prof. in German, due 10/21/16, link
- rejection from first round via email, 11/21 (x5)
- Skype interview requested, 11/28 (x4)
- on-campus interview scheduled, 12/20
- Georgia Inst Technology, 3-year postdoc, German for business/tech, due 3/1/2017, link. Also posted at Humanities and Social Sciences Postdocs 2016-17.
- Hamilton C (NY), 2-yr. visiting asst. prof. in German, due 12/15/16, link
- Lafayette C (PA), multi-year (contingent on successful review) visiting asst. prof. in German, due 12/15/16, link
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/22 (x3)
- Loyola Marymount U (CA), renewable instructor, due 2/15/2017, link
- Middlebury C (VT), 2-yr. asst. prof. or instructor, visual culture/pedagogical tech, due 11/21/16, link
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/4 (x5)
- On-campus interview scheduled, 12/15 (x2)
- Randolph-Macon C (VA) - visiting asst. prof. in German studies, due 12/4/16, link
- MLA interview invitation, 12/16, 12/20
- post-MLA phone interview scheduled, 1/11
- Saint Anselm C (NH), 1 to 3 yr. visiting asst. prof., due 2/10/17, link
- US Air Force Academy (CO), 3-yr. asst. prof., US citizens only, due 11/30/16, link.
- U of Iowa, 3-yr. renewable lecturer, Holocaust/Memory Studies, Film, and Third Reich Literature, review begins 10/1/16, link
- rejection via email (no interview), 1/17
- U of New Hampshire, full time, renewable lecturer in German. Due 2/24/17, link
- U of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, two 2-yr. visiting lecturers in German, review begins 1/17/17, link
- U of Northern Colorado, 1-yr. renewable lecturer/instructor, review begins 1/17/17, link
- U of Pittsburgh (PA), full time, renewable lecturer in German, due 12/15/16, link
- Skype interview invitation, 1/19
- U of Vermont, lecturer in German for 2017-2018, review begins 12/15/16, link
- MLA interview requested and scheduled, 12/21 (x4)
- On campus interview scheduled, 1/10
- Whitman C (WA), 1-yr visiting asst. prof., in German and Gender Studies due 1/26/2017 link
- Williams C (MA), 2-yr. visiting asst. prof., open, due 12/1/16, link
Applied Linguistics/Language Coordinator/Pedagogy/Program Director Positions Edit
- Duke U (NC), adv. asst. or early assoc. prof. of the practice of German and Language Program Director, due 10/31/16, link.
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/8
- New York U, 3-yr. renewable lang. lecturer in German, due 2/15/17, link
- Princeton U (NJ), 3-yr. senior lecturer, coordinate intermediate/advanced lang. courses, link.
- Skype interview scheduled, 12/8
- U of Virginia, Coordinator of the Language Program, Department of Germanic Languages, lecturer (3 yr. renewable), review begins 12/2/16, link.
- Skype interview requested, 12/27 (x2)
Faculty Positions outside of the US Edit
- U of Zurich (Switzerland), 4-month visiting postdoc in German Literature, due 01/31/17 link
Multi-Language Faculty Positions Edit
- Murray State U (KY), asst. prof., generalist, pref. ability to teach Spanish, due 11/15/16, link.
- Request for Skype interview, 12/17 (x2)
- Grove City C (PA), prof. of Spanish or prof. of Spanish and German, due 12/22/16, link
Other Germanic Languages Edit
Other German-Related Faculty Positions Edit
NOTE: German History positions are posted at European History 2016-17
- U of Massachusetts Amherst, asst. prof, Holocaust studies, due 11/15/16, link. Also posted at Jewish Studies 2016-2017.
- From Jewish Studies 2016-2017: "Request for Skype Interview 12/13"
- U of Massachusetts Amherst, full prof. and dir., Holocaust Studies, link. Also posted at Jewish Studies 2016-2017.
- U of Pennsylvania, asst. prof. of Digital Humanities, fields incl. German, due 11/3/16, link. Also posted at: New Media and Digital Humanities 2017.
- From New Media and Digital Humanities 2017: "MLA interview (12/17)"
- U of Pennsylvania, asst. prof. of Environmental Humanities, fields incl. German, due 11/3/16, link. Also posted at Environmental 2017.
- They received over 500 applications. 1/3/17
- U of California Santa Barbara, asst. prof. of French and/or German media studies, due 10/31/16, link. Also posted at: French and Francophone Studies 2016-2017.
- Post MLA Skype scheduled, 12/16
Spring 2017 Teaching Positions Edit
- Albion C (MI), full-time, one-semester sabbatical replacement for German program beginning January 2017, due 10/15/16, link
- Skype Interview, 10/5
- Campus visit scheduled, 10/8
- Offer made and accepted, 11/2
- Cornell C (IA), 1-course instructor (March 20-April 12, 2017) for German 102, review begins 10/10/16, link
- Note: Cornell College uses a block plan schedule ("One Course At A Time"), so this would be approx. 4 hours per day, M-F, for 3.5 weeks (18 days)
- Gettysburg C (PA), 1-semester visiting asst. lecturer (Spring 2017), review begins 10/7/16, link
- Skype Interview scheduled
- Received an email that the position has been filled, 10/27
Change the count in the category to which you belong. This permits us to have somewhat of an overview on the nature of the market demographics in German Studies.
ABD (early): 2
ABD (will finish this academic year): 13
Ph.D. in hand (one-year, VAP, Lecturer, Post-doc, adjunct): 16
Ph.D. in hand (unemployed): 1
Assistant Professor: 8
Associate Professor: 1
Search Committee Member:
Concerned grandmother: 1
Faculty "Job Coach": 1
- There is now a separate category for Spring 2017 positions.
- Has anyone heard anything from Illinois, Hamilton, Lafayette, Iowa, Pittsburgh, Vermont, Williams? I would've thought based on the deadlines they would contact people before the MLA.
- I don't think Lafayette is doing MLA interviews based on what I hear through the grapevine.
- Thanks for that info. I see also some are still contacting candidates this week for MLA interviews.
- Just FYI: Inside candidate at University of Iowa. Always a wild card. 12/22
- Re: the Stanford rejection on 1/10, I don't know about the person who first posted it, but for what it's worth I got an email rejection today, and I did not have an MLA interview. Hope this helps for whoever was asking. (Thank you for your response!)
- Does anyone know if Hamilton and Williams are interviewing yet? 1/19