Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Use "Heading 3" when adding names of schools to this page.
New Page for jobs beginning in Fall 2012 or later: Film Studies 2011-2012
FYI: Some Film/Screenwriting jobs are posted at CreativeWriting 2011.
Amherst College (VAP)Edit
From MLA JIL (Feb 11):
The Amherst College Department of English invites applications for a two-year visiting position in Film and Media Studies, beginning July 1, 2011, with the possibility of renewal for up to one additional year. The successful candidate will be expected to teach courses in Film and Writing and an introductory course in Film Studies (“Coming to Terms: Cinema”), as well as special topics and/or seminars in the candidate’s area of expertise. The candidate will also contribute to Amherst College’s new inter-departmental program in Film and Media Studies. We are particularly interested in candidates with a focus in US film studies; other fields of interest include avant-garde film and video and documentary film. The position, which requires a Ph.D. in hand by August 15, will begin in July 2011.
The teaching load will be two courses per semester, with additional senior tutorials and participation in senior exams. Strong commitments to scholarship and to undergraduate teaching, especially to the teaching of writing and to working with a diverse student body, are essential.
Candidates should submit electronically to https://jobs.amherst.edu/view/opportunity/id/315 a letter of application, a CV, and one writing sample not to exceed 30 pages. Three letters of recommendation should be submitted by e-mail attachment to Julie Howland, Academic Department Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin February 28, 2011, and continue until the position is filled. Candidates who submit their materials by March 20, 2011, will be assured full consideration.
- 3/11 ack email from search chair.
- Skype interview scheduled for 3/25 (3/21) (x2)
- Already? Damn! Any other interviews scheduled?
Campus visit scheduled (3/28) (x2)
Has anyone received an offer?
Offer accepted (4/15)
University of Chicago ABD
Ashland University (OH)Edit
From MLA Job Info List:
Ashland University seeks candidates for a tenure-track, Assistant Professor of English in film studies beginning August 2011. Ph.D. in hand by August 2011 and evidence of teaching excellence at the college level required. Commitment to composition is essential. Secondary areas in modern drama and/or screenwriting desired.
Deadline: Submit letter of application, curriculum vita, and contact information for three references to Dr. Deborah Fleming, Chair, Department of English, Ashland University, 401 College Avenue, Ashland, OH 44805 or email to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed beginning Nov. 1.
>Does anyone have a link for this job? Not an MLA member, and I can't find it on Ashland's website. A: Ad is also posted at HigherEdJobs.com.
Anyone heard anything?
Request for additional materials, 11/23 x1
Phone Interview scheduled, 12/3 x1
Campus visit scheduled, 12/9 x 1, 12/15 x 1
Offer Made: 1/21
Offer Accepted 1/25
From MLA Job Info List:
Assistant Professor of English (Film Studies), to teach film history and film/media theory, with strong capacity to teach in a related literary field.
Deadline: Send letter, vita, and 2-page description of dissertation or major publications by 1 November to Professor Leland Monk, Search Committee Chair, Department of English, 236 Bay State Road, Boston, MA 02215.
- Request for more materials (10/20) (X2) It looks like they're reviewing materials on a rolling basis.
- They have already sent out requests for more materials? But their deadline is not until Nov. 1? Hmmm. I second the skepticism. Received email confirmation of receipt of materials 10/26.
- Search cancelled due to "a matter of budgetary priorities" (notified via email from dept. chair, 11/2).
- Could others please confirm the cancellation? I got an e-mail last week confirming receipt of materials ( so I know they have my e-mail address), but did not get one today about the search being cancelled. Thanks.
- BU just cancelled a search in Religious Studies last week (10/29), so that makes a cancellation here too plausible. But other confirmations would be helpful, yes.
- sadly, i got the email cancellation this morning, too. they had already asked me for more materials a couple weeks ago, and the email specifically apologizes for asking for them right before the search got cancelled, so maybe at this point they've only sent out notifications to those of us who wasted our money on sending out the extra stuff... (x2)
- It makes sense they were moving so fast w/ extra materials given that the job was cut-- they were probably hoping to make a hire this calendar year before the position was killed.
Brockport (College at), State University of New YorkEdit
Assistant Professor of Film Studies. Duties include teaching three courses per semester (graduate and undergraduate), regular publication, coordination of Film Studies minor, advisement of minors, service to the department and college, and direction of MA theses. Required Qualifications: Ph.D. in English or Film Studies; a record of teaching success; a record of scholarship in Film Studies. Apply online at: http://www.brockportrecruit.org
Deadline: For best consideration, apply before November 19, 2010.
- Invited to interview at MLA (12/3) X 4
- Interviewed by phone (1/10)
- Campus visit scheduled for next week (1/31)
- Email received, "screening complete" for this position (2/23)
TT Global Media Studies
Received a request for a writing sample 12/22. Has anyone heard anything more recent?
I haven't (1/31)
Campus visits are scheduled.
Also posted at Drama, Speech, Film & New Media 2011
Two-year visiting assistant professor of English (Film & Media Studies), entry level (no more than four years of full-time post-doctoral teaching experience at the time of appointment). LINK (Requisition # 06738) (Also posted on MLA Job Info List).
Deadline: November 16, 2010
Scheduled phone interview (12/6) x2
Had phone interview in mid-December, anyone heard anything since then?
Scheduled campus interview (1/7) x1
Offer made and accepted (3/16)
Indiana University ABD
California State University - NorthridgeEdit
Assistant or Associate Professor - Media Theory and Criticism Link
Qualifications: Ph.D. in film studies, media studies, or related field from an accredited institution. Scholarly interest and background in Film History and International Cinema, built upon a foundation of both classical and emerging media theory and criticism models. Demonstrated successful teaching experience in media theory and criticism at the university or college level. Significant scholarly publication is desired. Interest in developing interdisciplinary programs with other units in the University. Ability to develop new curriculum. Demonstrated ability and commitment to work effectively with ethnically,culturally, and other diverse student populations. Responsibilities: Teaching beginning, intermediate and advanced courses in both new and classical media theory, criticism, history and aesthetics. Engage in research and publication; additional responsibilities may include programming and curating at the CSUN Cinematheque. Develop new curricula that serve the needs of students in the Cinema and Television Arts major, students in related fields in our College, and students across disciplinary lines. Teaching may be assigned in a second area of expertise appropriate to the qualifications of the candidate, including courses in the General Education curriculum. Student advisement and committee work will be required. For purposes of retention, tenure, and promotion, emphasis will be placed on teaching effectiveness, scholarly achievement, and service to the University and community. Faculty members are expected to participate in professional organizations and institutes.
Deadline 02-15-11 (begin review)
Has anyone made any inquiries about how quickly CSUN is planning to move through the hiring process on this one, considering how late in the TT game this ad was posted? Just curious...
Anyone heard anything on this one yet? (3/16)
A week later (3/23), any news on this search?
Anyone think this search may have been cancelled due to budget cuts? (Or am I just trying to console myself with that thought.)
Email stating that "the faculty search process remains ongoing. We'll get back to you again as soon as we can." (4/26)
Got the "ongoing search" email as well. (x3-- I expect it went out to everyone) Any chance that email signifies getting past some kind of first cut, or does it appear that they sent it to everyone who applied? In other words, did anyone who applied NOT get that email?
Did not get the "ongoing search" email. I never got a confirmation of application, either, so take that for whatever it's worth. Also, I have not emailed them to ask about the search status.
Has anyone heard back on this search, since the "ongoing search" email? (5/28)
Rejection received 6/2. Poopie.
California State University - San Luis ObispoEdit
Assistant or Associate Professor - Media Studies or Film Studies Link
English: Assistant or Associate Professor in Media Studies or Film Studies, English Department, at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo to begin September 12, 2011. For job details, qualifications and instructions (online faculty application required) please visit http://www.calpolyjobs.org and reply to Requisition #102141.
Deadline 11-15-10 (begin review)
- Acknowledge receipt of application by email (11/17)
- Phone interview scheduled by e-mail (12/2)
- 3 candidates invited to on-campus interviews (1/8)
Centre College (KY)Edit
From MLA Job Info List:
Tenure-track assistant professor in English beginning August 2011. The successful candidate will hold a PhD and specialize in film with a secondary specialization in any area of English, American, or world literature, or creative writing (fiction/prose).
Deadline: To apply, please submit by post (no email applications): letter of application, statement of teaching philosophy, materials demonstrating teaching effectiveness, three letters of recommendation, CV, and transcripts to: Dean Stephanie Fabritius, Centre College, 600 W. Walnut St., Danville, KY 40422. Review of applications will begin November 8, 2010.
Interview + Writing Sample Request (simultaneous): 11/29 (x2)
On-campus interview scheduled: 1/15
A word on this search: it was begun last year as a search for a VAP, and now it's been made a TT line. So there is already a visiting person who may (or may not) have the inside track. There's no telling in these matters. But it's worth knowing...
Colby College invites applications for a one-year appointment as a Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Cinema Studies beginning September 1, 2011. We seek an individual with evidence of advanced training in Cinema Studies (Ph.D. in hand by August 2011) and the ability to teach global cinema and/or film theory. Candidates with expertise in Latin American, Asian or African cinemas as well as new approaches to global cinema are encouraged to apply. The fellowship carries a two-course teaching load (one each semester), one of which may include either a historical survey of global cinema or a film theory course. The second course will be in the Fellow’s area of specialization. The Fellow will also participate in developing on-campus Cinema Studies programming and will have the opportunity to pursue his/her own scholarship. Research and travel funds are provided. Those interested should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation, a statement of teaching philosophy and research interests, evidence of teaching effectiveness and a writing sample (25 pages or less) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for submission: Feb. 9, 2011. We expect to interview finalists at the SCMS convention in March.
- Invited (by phone) to SCMS interview (2/26)
- Anyone heard anything?
- Still nothing (3/23)
- Has anyone who was interviewed at SCMS been contacted? (4/2)
- Campus visit mid-April.
- Univ. of Chicago PhD (6/14)
Visiting Assistant Professor (3 years)
- Anyone heard anything?
- CAA interview scheduled (x2)
Job 1: Digital HumanitiesEdit
Assistant professorship in the field of digital humanities, new media, or the history and theory of the digital and its impact on reading, writing, and viewing. Work welcome on topics such as the impact of information technology on literary culture; online editions and text creation; the development of new reading and viewing publics; or emergent graphic, visual, and digital literary genres (in Dept. of English and Comparative Literature)
Deadline: November 15
- Cross-posted at Drama, Speech, Film & New Media 2011
- From "Drama . . . New Media" page: "Rejection Letter: Early March; a candidate has accepted the offer."
Job 2: Film StudiesEdit
The Film program offers the MFA with concentrations in screenwriting, directing and creative producing, and the BA and MA in Film Studies. The program seeks to fill a position as Assistant Professor (tenure-track research faculty) in Film Studies to teach undergraduate and graduate level courses, effective July 1, 2011. The ideal candidate is an emerging scholar with interests in film theory, new media theory, and international cinema with a promising publication record and significant teaching experience. Candidates will be expected to sustain an active research and publication agenda. Review of applications will begin November 30, 2010, and continue until the position is filled. PhD strongly preferred to be completed or near-completion at the time of appointment. College level teaching experience preferred. For more information and to apply for this position, please visit our online site at: https://academicjobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=53956 .
Review begins 11/30/2010
Any word on this search (film studies)?
12-17-10 email request for additional writing samples to be submitted by 1-4-11
1-11-11 I heard from Columbia HR that they've received over 200 applications for the Film Studies job
1-22-11 email request for 2 writings samples asap.
1-26-11 campus invitation for job talk.
Any indication that others have been invited?
For the person who was invited--were you given a range of dates that would suggest other candidates are being set as well? This search seems to be a bit odd given that writing samples were being asked for from some at the same time as others were asked for phone interviews..
Just saw these questions. I just scheduled the campus visit and my impression is that they do have their other invitations lined up as well.
Heard it was the current VAP
Two positions at Denison:
1. Job Summary: Responsibilities include teaching a 3/2 course load of film aesthetics, analysis, history, and theory classes, and seminars consistent with departmental needs and areas of specialization. Specific expertise in classical and contemporary Hollywood and European cinemas is required along with teaching interests in film genres such as comedy, horror, film noir, the western, and art/independent cinema.
Minimum Qualifications: Candidates must have a Ph.D. in Film Studies in hand by fall 2011.
Must be able to teach general film studies courses in aesthetics, analysis, history, and theory. Specific expertise in classical and contemporary Hollywood and European cinemas is required.
Preferred Qualifications: In addition to film studies courses, the ability to teach screenwriting, introductory level 16mm film production, and/or digital video production is desirable.
Closing Date February 1, 2011
- Any news here?
- Nothing yet on my end
-I've heard nothing yet. Has anyone been invited to an interview at the SCMS conference?
-Nothing here [x2]
- News coming very soon.
- Received interview request via email on March 4.
-Did anyone get hired for this job? They had campus visits 2-3 weeks ago. (5/6)
-Received email saying that the job had been filled 5 May.
2. Visiting Assistant Professor of Cinema , Cinema Department
Must be able to teach film and video production courses utilizing Éclair and Arriflex cameras, Canon digital video cameras, Final Cut Pro software, and a variety audio and grip equipment. Candidates must have an MFA or other terminal degree. contact: email@example.com Closing Date March 15, 2011
Assistant Professor -Film Studies Link
emergent practices in film production, distribution and exhibition, media industries in an international context, or media policies and trade agreements in a converged environment
September 15, 2010 (begin review) - deadline changed to October 15 on DePaul website.
Received Email request for phone interview (11/2) x2
For those who got phone interviews---what are your teaching/research areas (broadly---no need to out yourself!) Thanks so much.
Request for on-campus interview (11/23)
Offer Made and Accepted (2/18)
From MLA Job Info List
English, 36 Madison Av Sitterly 107, Madison, NJ 07940 http://depts.drew.edu/engl/ Assistant Professor of English and Film Studies Drew University, a selective liberal arts college located 30 miles outside New York City, seeks applications for a tenure-track assistant professor of English specializing in Film Studies, who will participate in the possible development of Film and Media Studies, and who will contribute in other ways to the curriculum of the English Department. PhD required. Pending budget approval. Five course teaching load per year. Applicants must have a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching as well as a record of publication and evidence of an established research program. Submit cover letter and CV by November 1, 2010 to Professor Wendy Kolmar, English Department, Drew University, Madison, NJ 07940. In order to enrich education through diversity, Drew University is an AA/EEO employer. [R]Expires from JIL database 12 Nov 2010
- No link, sorry. The only place that I have seen this job advertised is in MLA JIL, so I have pasted the full ad above, in case that helps those who don't have access to that job list. (10/17).
- Received email notification of application receipt (11/2) (x2)
- Has anyone heard anything else from this search committee? The deadline was 11/1 so I assume I am out of the running but there is nothing on the Wiki.
- I also haven't heard anything -- 15 days is really not long at all. I imagine they'll start whittling down after Thanksgiving. (x2)
- Request for additional materials, 23 Nov. (x6)
- Has anyone heard back after they sent the additional materials? (x4)
- No, have not. Been assuming I am out of the running, but it is odd that no one has listed receiving an interview here. I suppose it's still an open question whether interview invitations have been made, though 12/22 is pushing the decision pretty late if they have not. It'd be nice to hear one way or another given the extent of the materials requested. The committee members may be super busy, though, and I am sure there are many very qualified candidates, making the decision a difficult one. Best of luck to all!
- Got an email confirmation that additional materials were recd (Dec. 7) (x2, but no word since)
- I'm off to MLA--would sure like to know what the status of this search is. Anyone bold enough to call?
- If you're a member of the Drew English Department and reading this wiki, as some departments are known to do, then could you update the various candidates from whom you made materials requests?
- I received a rejection email on January 5th (wasn't asked for additional materials) if that helps anyone. At least they must have been active then.
- 7 Jan: Email from SC chair, I assume to all from whom they've requested materials: no MLA interviews, waiting on final approval from administration, hoping to schedule phone/Skype interviews late January, campus visits by mid-February (x2).
- Request for Skype Interview - 2/11 (x2)
- Campus Visit Feb. 25
- Has anyone heard anything further?
- Rec'd email confirming that position has been filled 3/14
Tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor level in film theory. LINK
Deadline: Applications received by October 22, 2010 will be given full consideration.
11/17 : Writing sample request received by email. (x7)
Was the request for the writing sample in addition to the sample you submitted with the application? Thanks!
I didn't include a writing sample with the initial application.
SKYPE interview request (12/9) (x3)
Have any of the (other) interviewees heard anything yet? --> No
Received an email notifying that I didn't make it to the campus visits (1/5)
Received email invite for campus visit, late Jan (1/6) > 4 finalists, I think.
Campus visits completed; received email request for additional writing materials (2/3).
Dude, we already knew that we are not selected for your position on this wiki website. It is unprofessional to send out a rejection email this late in the process, not to mention that email did not even have a committee's chair name on it. At least write something nice will you?
Sounds vague. Any word on who got Duke ie: area of expertise? (3/11). --> New Media and Theory.
Franklin & Marshall CollegeEdit
Assistant Professor of Film & Media Studies. Link.
"The successful candidate will teach 5 courses each year, about half in production and half in scholarly subjects (e.g., film history, critical studies, media theory), in a program that systematically integrates creative production and critical thinking"
Acknowledgement received via mail: "We will be reviewing all applications after 1/15." (1/21)
Anyone heard from them?
Campus visit scheduled (2/11)
Anyone know if an offer had been made?
George Mason UniversityEdit
From MLA Job Info List (10/8):
Tenure-track assistant professor position in Film & Media Studies beginning Fall 2011. Candidates should have expertise in television/media studies, with interests that might include television history, theory and criticism, genre studies, US and international TV, and TV's evolving relation to the internet.
Deadline: Apply and attach a cover letter, CV, and writing sample of approximately 30 pages online at http://jobs.gmu.edu. Look for position number F5099z. Please mail three letters of recommendation and academic transcripts through mail to the chair of the search committee: Cynthia Fuchs, Department of English, MS 3E4, George Mason University, Fairfax, VA 22030-4444. Review of applications will begin on October 18, 2010.
This due date was a while ago. Has anyone been contacted?
- Request for interview and additional materials (12/14) x4
- Scheduled Skype interview (1/05)
- Skype Interview (1/21)
- Anyone heard since Skype? (1/31) Nope! x2
- (2/4) Campus visit scheduled
- 3 candidates.
4 TT positions in technology studies, in the department of Communication, Culture and Technology.
Deadline: Nov 1
NOTE: updates and more information about these positions posted at Communication and Media Studies wiki.
1 Year Visiting Assistant Professor Position
Deadline February 14
Any news? Not yet (2/23)
Request for Additional Materials (03/02) x 2
Campus visit 3/23
Received letter confirming that offer has been accepted (5/19)
Postdoctoral Fellow in Film Studies
Is there a link for this? Can't find the info 18/3
Rejection email received, 3/30
Hawai‘i Pacific UniversityEdit
From MLA JIL (3/11/11)
Assistant Professor of English: HPU invites applications for a full-time, career-track faculty position to begin Fall 2011 for a specialist in film/media studies or world literature. The teaching load is four courses (12 credits) per semester in first-year composition; general education courses in literature, film/media studies, and/or cultural studies; and upper-division English courses in the candidate's area of specialty.
Qualifications: Ph.D. in English. ABD considered if degree can be completed within first year of appointment. Evidence of successful teaching in composition and literature, media studies, or culture studies preferred. The successful applicant must also demonstrate a sincere interest in undergraduate teaching in a multicultural environment.
For a full position description and to apply, go to http://www.hpu.edu/employment
Review of applications begin March 15, 2011. Deadline to apply: March 31, 2011.
- Also posted at Generalist 2011
Email ack. 3/15
Request for phone interview. 4/7
Hobart and William Smith CollegesEdit
Media/Society: New Media. The candidate will be expected to teach in the following areas: television history; social and interactive new media; and media theory. Teaching load includes at least one section of Introduction to Media and Society. Only candidates with a Ph.D. in hand and with demonstrably excellent college teaching experience will be considered. The Media and Society program prides itself on providing students with a broad and sophisticated understanding of media within a liberal arts environment that promotes social commitment, ethical perspectives, and diversity. One of the largest programs on campus, Media and Society is highly interdisciplinary with approximately 100 majors and 50 minors. Review of applications begins November 15 and continues until position is filled; electronic submissions not accepted. Candidates should submit cover letter, c.v., statement of teaching philosophy and research interests, evidence of teaching excellence, and arrange for three letters of reference to be sent to: Media and Society Search Committee, c/o Tina Smaldone, Media and Society Program, HWS, Geneva, N.Y. 14456-3397.
Has anyone heard anything about this one?
Anyone heard anything. I got an application acknowledgement in late November. Guessing there has been movement since then [1/4] (x2)
After no communication at all, received email stating that the position has been filled. Email also says they are doing a postdoc search in the same area (new media). Posting will go up on SCMS site soon. (2/2)
Assistant Professor, Digital and Social Media Link
digital media studies focused on social dimensions and potentials of digital media
Department of Communication and Culture
Also posted at Communication and Media Studies 2010-2011
New Media Studies Post-doctoral Fellow
Review Begins January 10, 2011
Lawrence University seeks a Post-doctoral Fellow in New Media Studies. Ph.D. must be completed before September 2011. The defining characteristic of our 2-year fellowship in New Media Studies is the integration of digital technologies with concepts and methods from one or more of the following areas: the visual arts, music, sound art, film, and/or literature. The Fellow will share in the teaching of a core course in digital literacy and citizenship, work with students on new media projects, and teach a course in his/her specialty area. The Fellow will teach a total of three courses in the first year. Send letter, vitae, and three letters of reference to Dr. David Burrows, Provost and Dean of the Faculty, Lawrence University, 711 E. Boldt Way, Appleton, WI 54911, or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application materials can be sent at any time but to ensure full consideration please send by January 10, 2011.
2/21/11: Any news on this?
2/23: Phone interview scheduled (x3).
Minnesota State University MankatoEdit
Assistant Professor of Film Studies
(Posted April 25 2011)
Application Deadline: Review of applicants begins May 15 2011
English: Minnesota State University, Mankato. Assistant professor, fixed-term, film studies. START: August 15, 2011. Teach undergraduate courses in film studies, including film production. REQUIRED: Master of fine arts degree or doctorate in film studies or related field required by start date. OTHER CONSIDERATIONS: Demonstrated ability to teach specialized film courses and courses in film production; college-level teaching experience. APPLICATION: See full description of position and application procedure at http://www.mnsu.edu/ (“Campus Quick Links,” then “Employment”). Review of applications begins May 15, 2011. The department website is http://english.mnsu.edu. AA/EOE and a member of the Minnesota State Colleges and University System.
Minnesota State University MoorheadEdit
Assistant Professor of Film Studies
(Posted Chronicle Higher Education: February 14 2011)
Application Deadline: Review of applicants begins 11 March 2011; Open until Filled
Film Studies/History/Criticism: Assistant Professor of Film History/Criticism, tenure-track, at Minnesota State University Moorhead, begins August 16, 2011. Ph.D. in Film Studies or related program required. Duties include: teaching Film Studies courses, advising students and performing scholarly activities. Apply to Tom Brandau, Film Studies Department, 1104 7th Avenue South, Moorhead, MN 56563; telephone: 218-477-2950; e-mail: email@example.com. For further details, consult http://www.mnstate.edu/vacancy/Index.htm. A member of the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities System and an AA/EOEE.
-Hard copy materials sent by mail preferred.
New York University (Tisch School of the Arts, Singapore campus)Edit
Tisch School of the Arts, Kanbar Graduate Film Program (Singapore campus)
5 positions available (Arts Professor track, non-tenure, open rank, full-time, 1-5 year contract)
Application Deadline: January 14, 2011
Film directing, Screenwriting, Cinematography, Acting for directors, Producing, Post-production, Location sound production
Candidates must be prepared to relocate to Singapore. Please indicate in your letter if you would also like to be considered for possible visiting positions in the New York campus should New York-based faculty be reassigned to Singapore.
Assistant Professor, Screen Cultures
The School of Communication, Department of Radio/Television/Film at Northwestern University seeks to hire a full-time assistant professor for an appointment beginning September 1st, 2011. Candidates should have a Ph.D. in a related discipline by July 2011. The candidate is expected to make a strong contribution to undergraduate teaching and to the Screen Cultures doctoral track. Preferred areas of specialization include: Latino/a and African American media cultures, global media cultures, interactive/digital media, and/or industry studies. A commitment to interdisciplinary research in the humanities is welcomed. Salary is commensurate with rank. For full consideration, please send your application letter, a curriculum vita, one writing sample, and three letters of recommendation by October 20, 2010. We will begin reviewing applications by that date but will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
- E-mail invitation (12/7) to do a Skpye interview, to be conducted in mid-December
- Received rejection letter stating that the position has been filled. Pretty quiet search on this wiki, eh?
Northern Illinois UniversityEdit
Assistant Professor of Digital Media
Also posted at Drama, Speech, Film & New Media 2011
- Anyone heard about this position?
Assistant Professor, Cinema Studies
From SCMS site: "... specialization in one or more of the following fields: silent cinema, global/national/transnational cinema, avant-garde cinema, and contemporary cinema. The ability to teach undergraduate courses in screenwriting or digital video production is also desirable. ... 3/2 teaching load."
"Applicants should submit a letter of interest addressing teaching and research goals, curriculum vitae, teaching portfolio, and writing sample. Three letters of recommendation should be sent under separate cover. Applications and letters of reference should be submitted no later than Friday, November 19, 2010, and addressed to: Professor Susan Hawkins; Chair, Department of English; Oakland University; 544 O’Dowd Hall; Rochester, MI 48309. Application materials may be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org."
Skype interview requested by email 12/1 (x2) (out of curiosity, do you have production experience? Thanks) I have taken courses in production, but have no formal teaching experience. Ditto.
Out of curiosity, did their hire from last year fall through or something? I had a Skype interview for a pretty similar position to this. A: No, they made a hire last year, and are making another this year.
- email requesting campus visit (12/21)
Oklahoma State University (2 positions in "Screen Studies")Edit
Posted at MLA Job Info List
Assistant or Associate Professor, tenure-track or tenured position, with an emphasis on American cinema, particularly American film history. Any time period or research focus, but candidates should have a demonstrated ability to teach at least some of the following courses: screen theory, film history, and genre.
Assistant or Associate Professor, tenure-track or tenured position, with an emphasis on international cinema and/or transnational cinema. Any area of specialization welcome; candidates should be prepared to teach film history and theory as well as classes like aesthetics of film and culture and the moving image.
Deadline: Send letter of application, cv, writing sample, and dossier, including three letters of recommendation and transcript to Carol Moder, Head, English Department, Oklahoma State University, 205 Morrill Hall, Stillwater, OK 74078-4069. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by November 3, 2010.
- Notified via email of scheduled phone interview. (11/23) (x8)
- Position 1 (x4)
- Position 2 (x4)
- Any word?
- Notified via email of scheduled skype interview--position 2 (12/6) (x2)
- Notified via email of scheduled skype interview--position 1 (12/10) (x2)
- campus visit scheduled (12/17)--position 1
- Has anyone heard anything regarding position 2?
- nothing yet (1/21)
Assistant Professor of Media Studies (posted on SCMS)
Pitzer College, a member of the Claremont Colleges, invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Media Studies with an emphasis in Urban Studies for an appointment beginning Fall 2011. Applicants should have teaching and research interests that link Media Studies with the Social Sciences, including experience in qualitative and/or quantitative research methods, as well as community based research and learning. We are particularly interested in candidates who perform global and local comparative analysis of community-based media based in Africa, India, or the Middle East, and their transnational visual cultures. Experience in teaching media production courses is desirable. Applicants should have a Ph.D. by the time of appointment.
phone interviews held.
bringing in candidates for on-campus interviews
campus interviews completed
Q: has an offer been made?
Portland State UniversityEdit
Assistant Professor of Theater Arts, Tenure Track, Film Studies
The film program within the Department of Theater Arts is seeking a dynamic faculty member who will play a role in continuing development of an undergraduate and graduate curriculum that integrates film into a liberal arts program, and provides strong foundation for critical thinking that will guide students’ creative work. The successful candidate will: teach courses in film studies with an emphasis in international film or early cinema and also film theory and aesthetics, popular film genres and other critical studies areas. That candidate will also have the ability to teach courses in some aspects of digital production. Faculty members will engage in department, school, university and community collaborations; and, conduct significant external scholarly/creative activity.
Deadline: Application review will begin December 1, 2010 and continue until finalists are identified.
- Has anyone heard anything about this search?
- Contacted the search committee to see about the status of my app. All they could tell me was that the review process is underway.
- Received request for letters of recommendation on Jan. 7 (X2, on Jan. 10)
- Received request for phone interview (1/26)
Sabancı University (Istanbul)Edit
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences of Sabancı University invites applications from scholars in early or mid-career, holding a PhD in Media Studies, Visual Studies, Film Studies or a comparable field. Desired qualifications include a strong publication and research record, teaching experience, good grounding in social and cultural theory, and a commitment to contribute to an interdisciplinary scholarly environment. Candidates will be expected to teach general introductory courses on media, film and visual culture as well as more specialized upper level courses.
(rejection received via email -- 1/13)x2
Received announcement that I am shortlisted: 1/21(x2).
Received invitation for on-campus presentation/interview: 1/27.
McPherson Postdoctoral Fellowship in Film Studies
http://saqonline.tortus.com/deanoffaculty/facultypositions.html The Film Studies Program at Smith College invites applications for a two-year postdoctoral fellowship. Specializations may include global media, gender/identity and new media, socio-political effects of new screen technologies, or reconsidering "old media" technology through new media paradigms. The McPherson Fellow will devote time to research and will be expected to teach one course per semester at a selective liberal arts college where working closely with students is a given. Applicants must have completed all requirements for the doctoral degree in Film Studies or a related field by June 30, 2011 or have received the terminal degree in their discipline within the past five years.
Submit application at http://jobs.smith.edu with letter of application, CV, and names of three references by November 15, 2010. Smith College is a member of the Five College Consortium with Amherst, Hampshire, and Mount Holyoke Colleges and the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
1/23: Anyone heard anything?
- Got a request for additional material on 12/17, haven't heard anything since (1/23)
- Phone interviews took place from Jan 12 to 14.
- Any news on campus visits yet, for those who interviewed? (1/28)
- Received email (1/29) requesting campus visit - is it true that h/she received the email on last Saturday? This is the person who posted about the 1/29 email, and yes, that's when I received it.
Southern Oregon UniversityEdit
Assistant/Associate Professor of Film and Media Studies. Link.
"Preference will be given to candidates with experience in interdisciplinary research and teaching, film/video/digital media production."
Has anyone heard anything on this one? (12/31)
- Request for phone interview (1/21)
- Reject email (1/28) X3
St. Olaf CollegeEdit
- should this be posted on the film page since film studies is an optional, secondary interest?
Assistant Professor, English Link
twentieth- and twenty-first century American literature, with emphasis on post WWII multicultural literatures such as Latina/o, Native American, African American, Indian American, and Asian American literatures. Desirable secondary interests include film
- According to 20-21 c. page, MLA interview scheduled 12/17.
- According to Ethnic American page, offer accepted, first week of March.
Tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Cinema Production.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin January 15, 2011 and will continue until the position is filled
Request for additional materials x 2 (2/9)
Anyone heard any news on this postion?
Tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Screenwriting.
Cross-posted at CreativeWriting 2011
Deadline: Review of applications will begin January 15, 2011 and will continue until the position is filled
University of California, BerkeleyEdit
Posted at NCA
Lecturer: Media Studies
UC Berkeley's interdisciplinary Media Studies program is seeking a candidate to fill a full-time, one-year lecturer position for the 2011-2012 academic year, with the possibility of renewal. Media Studies at Berkeley is one of twelve major programs in the Office of Undergraduate & Interdisciplinary Studies. Candidates should be able to teach courses that examine media institutions, technologies, texts, and/or audiences from a historical and analytical perspective. Expertise and teaching experience in any of the following areas are particularly desirable: intro to media studies, visual communication, media and technology, television criticism, international media, media history. A full-time teaching load is six classes, or five classes plus some advising. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To be considered for the position, candidates must have a Ph.D. in hand by August 2011 and should send curriculum vitae, teaching evaluations, sample course syllabi, and at least three letters of recommendation by February 1, 2011 to: Jean P. Retzinger, Assistant Director, Media Studies, 231 Evans Hall #2922, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-2922. Refer potential reviewers to the UC Berkeley Statement of Confidentiality found at: http://apo.chance.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html
For further information about the program or about applying, please e-mail Jean Retzinger at email@example.com
Deadline: Feb 1, 2011
Has anyone heard anything from Berkeley? 3/4
First-round interviews scheduled for 3/8 - 3/17.
Also posted at Communication and Media Studies 2010-2011
University of California, IrvineEdit
The Departments of History and Film and Media Studies and the Ph.D. Program in Visual Studies at the University of California, Irvine invite applications for a joint tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor level, beginning July 1, 2011, for an intellectual or cultural historian with expertise in twentieth and twenty-first century broadcasting history (radio and television), and/or histories of digital and new media and/or global media. The regional focus of the search is open, but applicants with research specializations on Africa, Europe, East Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and the US are encouraged to apply. Applicants should hold a Ph.D. in History, Film and Media Studies, or a related field.
Please apply online at http://recruit.ap.uci.edu and submit a letter of application, a statement of current research, a curriculum vitae, an article-length writing sample, two sample course syllabi, and three letters of reference.
The application deadline is December 20, 2010.
Request for additional writing sample (2/1)
Anyone get a campus invite yet? (2/27)
First campus visit was this week (3/3)
University of California, Santa CruzEdit
Assistant or Associate Professor, Critical Studies in Film & Digital Media Link
The Film & Digital Media Department at the University of California, Santa Cruz, invites applications for Assistant Professor (tenure track) or Associate Professor (tenured) in critical studies. We are seeking a hybrid artist/scholar or a scholar who works in the area of experimental practices across fiction and non-fiction. A secondary specialty in any of the following areas would be particularly desirable: histories of technology, media cultures and/or the avant-garde, especially as they relate to the genealogy of cinema to digital; global or transnational media; or studies of race.
Minimum Qualifications: For appointment at Assistant Professor level: a Ph.D. in relevant field of study; demonstrated potential as a researcher/scholar; commitment to and talent for teaching and mentoring at the undergraduate and graduate levels; a potential for undertaking administrative service required.
Deadline: October 15, 2010. Position Start Date: Friday, July 1, 2011
- I submitted my application by email, and received a reply back telling me I need to have a Ph.D. in hand at the time of application in order to be considered for the tenure-track Assistant Professor position. Since I am ABD, my application could not be accepted (10/10)
- Received Rejection notice via e-mail (12/10) (x4)
University of Groningen, Film and Media Studies Tenure Track PositionEdit
From August 2011, the Faculty of Arts, University of Groningen, offers a tenure track position for assistant/associate professor in the field of Film Studies and/or Theatre Studies.A combination of disciplines is possible and will be welcomed, as is a combination of one of the mentioned disciplines and New Media Studies.The department of Arts, Culture, and Media offers four art disciplines: Film, Theatre, Literary and Music Studies. In close cooperation with the department of Art History and Architecture a fifth discipline - Visual Arts - is offered. For their bachelor exam, students specialize in one of these art disciplines, which they combine with a major in one of the contextual specializations: Analysis and Criticism; Arts Policy and Management, or Arts Education.Research in the department is focused on the functioning of the arts in society, approached from various theoretical and methodological perspectives. This research is carried out in the context of the interdisciplinary Institute for Cultural Research Groningen.
For more information see
Deadline Jan. 19, 2011
University of Hawaii at ManoaEdit
Assistant Professor, American Studies. Link
teach American Studies, as well as Film, TV, and/or New Media
- Also posted at American Studies 2011-2012
- 10/10: Note following updates from "American Studies 2011" page:
- "Received acknowledgement and EEOC form (online) 2 October"
- "Invited to interview at ASA conference, 8 October"
- Received Rejection notice via mail, 11/8 (x4).
- received email rejection January, final offer has been made
University of KansasEdit
Assistant Professor of New Media (in Department of Film and Media Studies). H-Net Ad.
The candidate will develop and teach a minimum of four courses per year primarily in, but not limited to, New Media practice and theory.
Screening of applications begins December 17, 2010, and continues as long as needed to identify a qualified pool.
Campus interviews scheduled for mid-Feb (2/24).
University of Maryland (2 postions)Edit
From MLA JIL (11/11):
Two tenure-track positions in Film Studies at the rank of Assistant Professor to start August 15, 2011. One position will have its tenure home in the Department of English and the Program in Comparative Literature; the other position will have its tenure home in the School of Languages, Literatures, and Cultures. This cluster hire is part of the College’s expanding interdisciplinary program in Film Studies (http://film.umd.edu/). All candidates must have a Ph.D. in Film Studies, or closely related field, at the time of appointment.
We seek two creative and active scholars with clearly demonstrated research and teaching interests in a range of critical issues related to the study of film. A variety of methodological and critical approaches is welcome. Research specialization is open and could include film theory, film history, history and film, genre study, screen theory, transnational/transcultural cinema, Hollywood, or global cinema.
To apply, visit https://jobs.umd.edu. Search and apply for position number 116839.
For best consideration, interested candidates should apply by December 7, 2010. Please submit letter of application; c.v.; article-length writing sample; dissertation abstract; and three letters of recommendation.*
- Received ack email (12/9). They will be contacting candidates selected for further review in late Jan.
- Received request for Skype interview (1/21). (X2)
- Are the Skype interviews scheduled 1/21 for the English position or the Languages, Literatures, and Cultures position?
- I received a request for a Skype interview as well but it is unclear for what position. I have an e-mail into the coordinator asking just that. The coordinator is in the school of "Languages, Literatures and Cultures" but I'm not sure if that answers the question.
- Is it clear to anyone if all interview requests have been sent out or if one of the positions is still being decided upon?
- I second the last question. I applied for the track in Foreign Languages and would like to know if anyone is already set to interview for that one, or just the English track?
- Based on the Skype call I had with the committee yesterday (1/28), it seems that these interviews are for both tracks and that the SC has a fluid sense of who might be placed in which track. I realize this is bad news for folks holding out hope that another round of interviews might be forthcoming, but it doesn't seem like that's the situation.
- Rec'd rejection email (2/2) x2
- By far the most respectful rejection I've received (and there have been many...)
- This is strange--are there others who applied but have not yet received a rejection? (x2)
- Has anyone received a campus visit yet?
- Campus visit invite (X2--Feb. 4)
- Heard it's an Asst Prof elsewhere, Chicago PhD
University of MichiganEdit
Professor, Screen Arts and Cultures
Open rank, open field position. Areas of particular interest are classical Hollywood and non-Western cinema and television
- Has anyone heard from Michigan?
- They are bringing in all senior faculty for the position (10/29)
- Rejection letter received by mail (12/2) (x3)
University of North Carolina - Chapel HillEdit
Assistant Professor of Film Studies. Link.
"The ideal candidate should be able (1) to contribute to our departmental offerings in film and literature and the university minor in "Global Cinema" ; (2) to situate film in a comparativist and interdisciplinary framework, demonstrating research expertise in traditions that go beyond Hollywood cinema; and (3) to train a growing number of graduate students with interests in international cinema and critical theory. The position carries a 2-2 teaching load with significant research expectations."
Any word here?
- scheduled MLA interview (12/14)
- Received email invite for campus visit at the end of January (1/14)
- I believe a job offer has been extended and accepted (3/25)
- University of Chicago ABD (oops, sorry, must have been in another department)
- I don't know why someone would publish incorrect information to the wiki, but it was not a University of Chicago ABD that got this job.
University of Notre DameEdit Assistant Professor of Television Studies, Department of Film, Television, and Theatre (posted on SCMS)
The University of Notre Dame, Department of Film, Television, and Theatre, invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Television Studies. This faculty member will be responsible for contributing to the department’s growing concentration in this area. Duties include teaching four courses per year, carrying out a rigorous program of research leading to publication contributing department and university service, and mentoring undergraduate majors. There also will be the opportunity to participate in the interdisciplinary PhD in Literature program and in the Graduate Minor in Screen Cultures.
Deadline posted is incorrect -- the FTT Job Posting says they begin consideration on 4 October.
- Does anyone have any news about this search? (12/1) A: I emailed the department, they said they had chosen 3 candidates for campus interviews. (12/10)
- contacted for phone interview (12/6)
- Any news on this one? A friend was contacted for a writing sample in yesterday. Did they already do campus interviews?
- Yes, but they are looking at other candidates.
- Any updates? (1/26)
- Search cancelled -- will be reposted next year (2/1 - I had phone interviewed and was just updated on the process)
University of OklahomaEdit
Film & Video Studies Faculty Search - Assistant Professor
Phone interview 2/14
Phone interview 2/16
Anyone hear after phone interview?
Not yet. Strange because it seemed like they were moving quickly.
Yeah, though it seems like they were possibly doing an unusally high number of phone interviews perhaps.
They must have set up on campus by now, right?
U Chicago ABD
University of ReginaEdit
Assistant Professor of Film and Media Studies.
"Applicants are required to submit: a letter of application, curriculum vitae, all university transcripts (originals required), teaching dossier, research program description, representative writing samples, and the names of three referees who have been asked to send their letters by the deadline date. ALL applications will be received using our electronic system at http://www.uregina.ca/hr/careers."
Ack. by email, 3/2
Anyone heard anything? (3/28)
Campus interview request (4/14)
Post went to an internal candidate (2/4)
University of RochesterEdit
Media Position in English Department: Assistant Professor of Media Studies
Deadline: November 15, 2010
- Cross-posted at Drama, Speech, Film & New Media 2011
- Anyone heard anything yet? (12/14)
- Also curious about this position, wondering if they were planning on MLA interviews?
- ANYONE THINK THIS SEARCH WAS CANCELLED?
- I know of searches in other departments at the U of R moving forward, but I haven't heard anything about this one.
- The search was not canceled, at least not so far. They conducted interviews at MLA.
- Can anyone confirm that interviews were conducted at MLA, and/or campus invitations as of yet?
- I can confirm that interviews were at MLA. I'm waiting to hear back about campus invitations. (1/21)
- Thanks for the speedy response! Feel free NOT to answer this question, but out of curiosity: do you do literature and media? And good luck!
- Sure, sorry to not post earlier. I don't examine literature.----THANKS, AND NO WORRIES ABOUT NOT POSTING EARLIER! Once again, best of luck to you.
- campus visit scheduled (x2)
- From Drama, Speech, Film & New Media 2011: "Offer accepted: I heard second-hand (from someone directly involved) that an offer was made and accepted, approx. 2/25."
- I can confirm that the offer was made and accepted at the end of February. (3/9)
The University of the West Indies, St. Augustine (Trinidad and Tobago)Edit
Lecturer in Film (TT Equivalent) Minimum Qualifications:
Ph.D. in Film Studies or an equivalent field. Experience teaching at the University level is required, as are scholarly publications and an active research agenda.
Special Expertise/Area of Concentration in any of the following areas:
- Documentary Film
- Latin American Cinemas, African Cinemas or South Asian Cinemas
- Caribbean Cinema
- Film Production
Teaching and research in Film Studies courses and modules in the BA in Film. The development of courses in Film Theory and Aesthetics. Research supervision in film and, in particular, in research areas that privilege the advancement of knowledge in areas relating to Caribbean cinema. Enhancement of the research profile of The University of the West Indies.
Postal Address: Dr. Linda Steele Human Resources (Appointments) The University of the West Indies - St. Augustine The Campus Registrar St. Augustine Trinidad and Tobago
Phone: 1 (868) 662-2002 Fax: 1 (868) 663-9684 Online App. Form: http://sta.uwi.edu/jobs/procedure.asp Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline March 31, 2011
University of Wisconsin-StoutEdit
Assistant Professor, Department of English and Composition.
We seek candidates with the potential to become excellent teachers who are interested in teaching courses in Freshman Composition and General Education Literature. Expertise in American Literature, Film Studies and Digital Humanities is preferred. Degree in English or a related field. Ph.D. preferred, ABD considered. Ph.D. expected within a year of hiring. Scholarship is required for promotion and tenure. Department/university service and student advising are expected. Willingness to use technology in the classroom is essential as we are a laptop campus. Expertise or interest in on-line delivery is desirable. Willingness to pursue grants a plus. Send letter, vita, transcripts (unofficial copies may be submitted), evidence of teaching potential and names of three references to:
Composition and Literature Search Committee
Department of English and Philosophy
University of Wisconsin-Stout
Menomonie, WI 54751
Deadline: February 18.
Also posted at Generalist 2011
Virginia Commonwealth UniversityEdit
Tenure eligible asst. or assoc. professor in field of "Theory and History of Media or Film" (one area in search for 4 separate postions): see VCU's Position Announcement for further details.
The application review process will begin on October 20, 2010. For full consideration, applications must be received prior to November 25, 2010.
- Also posted at Other Ethnic American 2011, African American 2011 & Queer/Women's/Gender Studies 2011
- Email request for sample of scholarly work (12/7)
- Email request for sample of scholarly work (12/11)
- Email request for MLA interview (12/16)
- Does anyone know when they will be making decisions for the next step? (1/12)
- At MLA they said they still had a number of phone interviews to conduct and that decisions about campus visits would be made in or around the third week of Jan.
- Q. Does anyone know what the teaching load at VCU is? A: My hunch is that it is 3/3 but I could be wrong. A: It's 3/2 (2/10).
- request for campus visit (2/3)
- It's been 5 weeks. Was anyone in media/film ever offered a job? (3/10)
- Ethnic American page states that an offer has been made in that area (3/11/11)
- Offer made (and declined) for film position in World Studies (late March)
- Just curious--Why would someone decline the VCU film position? A better offer elsewhere (lower teaching load, higher $, etc.)? Seems like a good place for film studies--French film festival, etc.
- It was a matter of a better offer--and it's certainly true that VCU has lots going for it in terms of film.
Washington University - St. LouisEdit
Assistant Professor, Film Studies
Cinema in a global context, national/transnational cinema, emergent cultural industrial models, documentary, avant-garde
"In order to apply please visit our online application system at https://jobs.wustl.edu/ and select Job ID 20535."
- I'm wondering how others are interpreting the requirement to include "supporting materials concerning teaching." I'm assuming this could mean evaluations and syllabi. Has anyone inquired?
- I have, it's teaching philosophy, syllabi and evaluations.
- did anyone else find the online application confusing? i had difficulty uploading each document separately?
- Very. It allows you to upload only after you complete the application. Bizarre, but if you perservere, it'll attach the docs.
- Phone interview requested 11/8
- Heard offer made and accepted. Don't know beyond that.
- Phone interview requested 11/9
- Campus visits scheduled, taking place around 12/15. 4 candidates.
- Rejected letter rec'd via mail. Confirmed that offer made & accepted (2/12)
- Congrats! Looks like a great job.
Wayne State UniversityEdit
Assistant Professor, English Link
teach courses in Film and New Media. "Preference will be given to applicants who engage the intersections of cinema studies and new media studies. Special areas of expertise may include, but are not limited to, global film and new media, African-American film and new media, and television and new media."
- Dossier Request on 11/2 (x3)
- Dossier Request on 11/4 (x2)
- Dossier Request on 11/5
- Received Rejection Notice on 11/10 (x7)
- Rejection Notice Received via email or snailmail? (11/10) It was received via email.
- Has anyone still in the running heard more from the SC? (12/15)
- Nope (12/16) (X2)
- Received e-mail request (12/17) for a Skype interview
- Rec'd "personal" rejection email 12/15.
- Phone call (1/19) inviting me to a campus interview in February
General DiscussionEditHere we go again. Good luck.
- Can we please have links for the job listings, if they are available? (8-14) 'So far, the only stuff posted has been on the SCMS website, which is password-protected.'
- Does anyone know what happened to position at Northwestern in "Screen Cultures"? It was listed as search # 16457. It's not on this site on the SCMS site anymore. Was it cancelled? A: Does not appear to be; now posted above, with someone listing Skype interview for mid-Dec.
- Wasn't there a USC position listed on here before? I hope so, becaues I applied for it. Anyway, haven't heard anything.
- Does anyone know what happened to the Non-Western World Cinema TT position at Rutgers? Anyone heard back from them? -Interviewing at MLA1/7/2011 -Scheduled Campus Visits 1/19/2011
- This recent round has been dismal in terms of schools getting back to you about the status of applications-form emails are starting to look good!
- I agree. I feel as though I am in a limbo not knowing anything and, of course, I begin to speculate as to why I have not heard anything, which is never good.
- It helps to hear someone else is in the same boat! I talked to my advisor who said things were running late this round because a number of schools don't have their budget and people are just returning from vacation. I'm ABD, but really close to being done-will defend this year-but none-the-less it seems the general consensus is that committees aren't even looking at candidates if they're not done.
- I know of at least one ABD who got a TT job this year. It is still possible!
- The unfortunate thing is that so many film studies positions get cut whenever there is a budget crisis. Hope open searches won't be slashed.
- As depressing as this may sound, is there a new wiki up for 2011/2012 yet? A UCLA post is out already...
- A: yes, the UCLA job is already posted here: Film Studies 2011-2012