Economics Jobs and Economist Jobs - The world's leading site for economics jobs. Economist positions in government, universities, business, and international organizations
Institute for Health & Socio-Economic Policy - Research Analyst and Educator Positions
The Institute for Health & Socio-Economic Policy, the research arm of National Nurses United (NNU), AFL-CIO, seeks experienced Research Analysts and Educators. NNU, the nation’s largest nurses’ union and professional association, leads the Registered Nurse movement to transform the market-driven healthcare industry in the United States into a health care system driven by patient needs. NNU has negotiated the best Registered Nurse collective bargaining contracts in the nation and provided critical leadership in the AFL-CIO’s decision to endorse a single-payer healthcare system based on “updating and expanding Medicare benefits” for all Americans.
Research areas include the political economy of healthcare restructuring and the clinical and technological impacts of healthcare restructuring on both patients and the Registered Nurses who provide their care.
The ideal Researcher Candidate will have the following qualities:
- Strong commitment to social justice
- At least one advanced degree
- Econometric modeling experience highly desirable
- Strong quantitative ability highly desirable
- Experience in power structure research
- Familiarity with corporate research and/or corporate campaigns
- Strategic research skills
- An understanding of market concentration and complex organizational issues
- Background in evaluating and reviewing corporate statements
After appropriate orientation, the Educator will design and teach one day courses on health care restructuring, issues impacting nursing practice, and basic principles of political economy for Registered Nurses. Additionally, the Educator may design and teach semester length courses for the National Nurses United joint online certificate program in Global Women’s Health Leadership at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey.
This is not a traditional labor educator position.
The ideal Educator Candidate will have the following qualities:
- Strong commitment to social justice
- At least one advanced degree, doctorate highly desirable
- Ability and willingness to travel
- Excellent qualitative social research skills
- Experience in working closely with others as part of a successful team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Familiarity in teaching successful intensive workshops
- Ability to teach complex material in a way that is accessible to a broad audience
- Experience teaching complex global issues of political economy
Highly desirable attributes include familiarity with the epistemological problematic inherent in computerized expert systems and the impact on worker control, workplace power and skill, labor process studies, complex organizational analysis, the philosophy of science generally, and the social aspects of technological design and implementation.
The positions are based in the San Francisco Bay area and offer an excellent salary and benefits package that includes a pension and full family medical and dental coverage, including coverage for domestic partners.
Please submit a résumé, cover letter, and writing sample in PDF or Word format and complete the online application form.
Educator applicants may submit an optional outline of a one day educational workshop and/or a one to three page description of the best training session, class or workshop you have conducted and the audience you were reaching. Please click APPLY button.
Please no phone calls.
NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We urge people of color and women, researchers and educators of all backgrounds, to apply.
- DEADLINE: March 1, 2014