This page is for dissertation fellowships for 2018-2019 (including research fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, and other predoctoral opportunities).
See also fellowship discussions at theGradCafe: The Bank
- This is an initial post to start the page as in years past - please add calls and information!
RECENT ACTIVITY on Dissertation Fellowships 2018-2019 Wiki Edit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2018-2018?feed=rss&action=history
AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Applied x5
AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Education Research Edit
ACLS / Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowships Edit
- Applied x14
American Academy in Rome, Rome Prize Edit
American Philosophical Society Predoctoral Fellowship Edit
Boston College AADS (African and African Diaspora Studies) Dissertation Fellowship Edit
CAA Professional Development Fellowship Edit
CAORC Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship Edit
CASVA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship of the National Gallery of Art Edit
Why is this page so quiet?! Has anyone got a call from CASVA? (Jan 19)
- I have not received one! I'm on tenterhooks here! (I applied for Ittleson) (Jan 19)
- Received call today (01/20) for interview. Interviews taking place Feb. 8-9. (Nominated for Paul Mellon)
- Congratulations on the call! I guess that’s it for this cycle then.
- Do calls for all fellowships usually go out on the same day?
Usually calls are made on the same day I think. At least that’s what’s recorded in previous years’ wikis.
- Le sigh...thanks for the response.
Has anyone else been called for an interview, or does anyone else know of a colleague who has been nominated? No news in my peer group.
Has anyone received their rejection letter yet?
For the record: interviews took place on Feb. 8-9; the committee met to finalize their decision on Feb. 10; the chosen fellows were notified over the weekend; alternates were notified via email on Feb. 15
Center for Jewish History Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Applied (x4)
CHATEAUBRIAND FELLOWSHIP (STEM and HSS) Edit
CLIR-Mellon Fellowship Edit
Consortium for Faculty Diversity (Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowships) Edit
They extended the deadline to the end of March. Does anyone know if they will be looking at these before then?
- --Interesting. How did you learn about the extention? I don't see it on the site. Wonder what it means for those who made the 1st deadline.
- --If you look at the Interfolio delivery, it now says March 30. And the delivery itself is still editable. I'm wondering if I should upload an updated cover letter.
- --It was my impression that the deadline has always been "rolling," as it is up to individual consortium departments to look at the applications based on departmental need as positions become available. Contacting individual departments will give you information for if the department is actually searching for candidates and when their own search begins/ends.
Do you think it's necessary to contact the department's directly? 1) to ask if they're even taking fellows and 2) to bring their attention to their application? I just don't understand how this works. It's like sending an application into a blackhole.
- Great question. I've contacted a couple, one of which didn't even know this fellowship existed and got excited when I told them about the Consortium. Black hole indeed. Not sure how this is supposed to work. Bigger question-- are they even really giving dissertation fellowships anymore? Had a friend get one of these several years ago and at the time all listed winners were pre-doc. Now, the list of recipients for the past few years is almost exclusively post-doc. What's up with that? Are they even interested in dissertation fellowships any more?
- That's ridiculous. Also, you're right. I was looking through the list of past fellows and there's rarely any predocs anymore. I guess I'll sit down and email everyone. Trinity has one that makes you email the chairs. It's a little embarrassing.
I got in touch with one of the reps at Swarthmore. They mentioned that they weren't doing predocs right now, but that it's best to get in touch with specific departments to see if they are, which brings attention to your application.
I have emailed all but one of the schools on the list. Here is what I found out so far: (Please note I was inquiring about pre-doctoral fellowships so this feedback more useful for people who are looking for dissertation completion fellowships. I hope this list makes sense as I was tryign to summarize what people were saying in their emails and sometimes it wasn't clear if they meant pre or post doc because they just used the word fellows)
Amherst - No CFD Fellowships this year
Bowdoin - In the midst of looking for 3 post-docs
Colorado College - Finalized their CFD candidate placements (I do not know if that means they accepted pre/post doc)
Franklin and Marshall - Does not participate in the pre-doc fellowship at all (Post-Docs only)
Macalaster: No open pre-doc this year
Scripps: Only looking for Art History (I do not know if that means pre/post doc)
Gustavus: Looking for Political Science (I do not know if that means pre/post doc)
Vassar: Not looking for pre-docs at this time
Whitman: Not looking for pre-docs this time
Denison: Does not participate in the pre-doc fellowship at all (Post-Docs only)
Providence College: Only recently joined the Consortium and is just getting the lay of the land
Southwestern University: No CFD Fellowships this year
The College of Wooster: Does not participate in the pre-doc fellowship at all (Post-Docs only)
Trinity College: Hire one fellow year and that is already done, I think it is the Ann Plato fellowship
Reed College: Hires on 2 year appointments so next search will be spring 2019
Mount Holyoke: Usually does 2 post-docs per year and that process is underway
Wabash College: Only recently joined the Consortium and is just getting the lay of the land
University of Richmond: At capacity with fellows at this time (not sure ig that means pre or post doc)
Lewis and Clark: Not anticipating dissertation fellowship this year
TO WHOEVER DID THIS: you are a scholar and a hero.
DAAD Graduate Research Fellowship Edit
Dartmouth College Eastman/Marshall Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Dolores Liebmann Fellowship Edit
Dumbarton Oaks Junior Fellowship Edit
- Pre-Columbian (x3)
- Byzantine (x1)
- G&L (x1)
Anyone have any updates for this one?
No word here. Never heard anything about interview, so I assume I'm out of running (Byz)
There’s no interview. I know of one senior fellow who has been selected, but have heard nothing about Junior Fellows. It takes a while because everything has to be approved by Harvard. (Precolumbian)
Thanks for the info -- my understanding is that in the past there were interviews, at least for Byzantine, not sure if that is for just Senior fellows or Junior and Senior
Elon University Pre-Doctoral Diversity Teaching Fellowship Edit
Which departments did you apply to?
Emory University James Weldon Johnson Institute Visiting Fellowship for Pre-Doctoral Scholars Edit
Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- applied (x4)
Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies Pre-doctoral Fellowship Edit
Fulbright IIE Study/Research Grants Edit
- Applied (x2)
- Semi-Finalist (x2) 1/26
Fulbright Hays DDRA 2017-2018Edit
The 2018-2019 call has not been posted yet. In 2017 it was posted on Jan 19 with deadline on March 13.
Anyone know when the call will be announced? Getting nervous here. As a US Permanent Resident, I am only eligible for Fulbright-Hays.
I don't think the government has funded it, so it might not happen this year :(
2/5 -- I contacted Dr. Maimer about the DDRA, and she said that no decision has been made yet by Congress on whether any funding has been awarded. I also asked about when she thought we'd have an answer, and she said that she has no idea. As a result, I'll echo the previous person's thoughts: "[I]t might not happen this year."
2/8- This is definitely a major blow if it doesn't come through. I've been waiting on this for a while wondering what was going on. :(
2/9: Does anyone know if the budget that just got signed included fulbright hayes ddra?
2/12- As per NEH/NHA-
"This morning, President Trump released his Presidential Budget Request for FY 2019, which again calls for the elimination of the National Endowment for the Humanities along with the National Endowment for the Arts, the Department of Education’s International Education Programs, the National Historical Publications and Records Commission, and the Institute for Museums and Library Services. The request also calls for the elimination of federal funding for the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars.
This is an assault on humanities research, education, and programming - all of which are essential to the cultivation of our national heritage and civic culture.
Congress will ultimately be responsible for writing the bills that fund the federal government.
Last year, we sent a forceful message to Congress that we oppose the administration’s efforts to eliminate humanities funding. While the appropriations process for FY 2018 has not yet been completed, Congress has rejected Trump’s proposals at every turn."
Gaius Charles Bolin Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- Interview (x2)
- Which departments do you have interviews for?
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral FellowshipEdit
- Applied (x1)
- Anyone hear anything yet?
- Rejected via email (Jan 31) (x2)
Accepted via email (pre-doc) feb 14
Getty Library Research GrantEdit
Harry Frank Guggenheim FellowshipEdit
- applied (x2)
- Received Submission confirmation for application to Research Grant 2017. Then correction email confirming 2017 Dissertation Fellowship and advising they'll send an email in August after reviewing the application for completeness. Assuming March-April 2018 for the completeness check?
Henry Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in American ArtEdit
Home Grown Curatorial FellowshipEdit
- Applied (x2)
Huntington Library FellowshipEdit
IHR Doctoral Fellowship (Scouloudi, Thornley, RHS)Edit
Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity FellowshipEdit
- Applied x2
- On Feb 6 I called their Office of Human Resources. The representative told me that they are still reviewing applications.
Japan Foundation Japanese Studies FellowshipEdit
Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation ProgramEdit
Josephine de Karman FellowshipEdit
Koc Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations Residential FellowshipEdit
Kress Foundation History of Art Institutional FellowshipsEdit
- Applied (x4)
- Rejection from Warburg/Courtauld, 1/29
Lake Institute Doctoral Dissertation FellowshipEdit
Louisville Institute Dissertation FellowshipEdit
Mabelle McLeod Lewis Memorial FundEdit
Marilyn Yarbrough Dissertation/Teaching Fellowship (Kenyon College)Edit
- Has anyone heard anything?
- Phone call 1/23, Skype interview scheduled for 1/30
- Four finalists received campus invite today (1/31); these will take place mid-February
- Recevied email rejection 2/12
Mellon-CES Dissertation Completion Fellowship in European StudiesEdit
- Applied (Jan 15, 2018)
- Applied (x2)
Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art History FellowshipsEdit
- Applied (x4)
Rejection received via email 2/8 Rejection received via email 2/8 (Asian Art) Rejection received via email 2/8 (European painting) Rejection received via email 2/8 (Egyptian art)
Miller Center for Politics and History (UVA)Edit
Applied for the Technology and Democracy Fellowship program (x1)
MIT SHASS Diversity Predoctoral FellowshipEdit
An entire dissertation chapter? REALLY?!?!!?
- Yeah, that was a gut punch. Especially since they haven't asked for that before and they posted the announcement so late. Ugh!
- They change details of the fellowship every year. So inconsistent.
- By asking for an entire chapter, I think they are trying to find candidates who will more than likely graduate during the fellowship year (or summer thereafter)...sigh, its a tough world out there.
- They asked for a chapter last year too
NAEd/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship ProgramEdit
NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement GrantEdit
Notre Dame Institute for Advanced StudyEdit
RBS-MELLON SOCIETY OF FELLOWS IN CRITICAL BIBLIOGRAPHY Edit
Applied - any news?
Robert N. Ho Family Foundation for Buddhism Studies/ACLS Dissertation FellowshipEdit
Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR) Dissertation Completion GrantEdit
SSRC - IDRFEdit
- Applied (x4)
- Request for transcripts (Jan. 24) (x4)
- Rejection letter (Jan 31) (x2) -by email this year
Smith Richardson Foundation, World Politics & Statecraft FellowshipEdit
Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP) (Predoctoral)Edit
Soroptimist [Founder Region Fellowship]Edit
Tufts University Mellon Comparative Global Humanities Dissertation FellowshipEdit
Tobin Project Graduate Fellowship and WorkshopEdit
Tobin Project Prospectus Development WorkshopEdit
University of California Santa Barbara Black Studies Dissertation FellowshipEdit
University of Southern California (USC) Shoah Foundation Center for Advanced Genocide Research FellowshipsEdit
UT Austin Harry Ransom Center Research FellowshipsEdit
Wenner-Gren dissertation fieldwork grantEdit
Nov 1 Deadline
So quiet this year Ya..i guess within the next 10 days there'll be some sounds.
2/9/2018 Still nothing here. I noticed e-mails from my last W-G app were sent out REALLY EARLY in the morning, so I imagine won't hear anything today.
2/12/2018 no email.....
2/14/2018 Still no word.
2/15/2018 Advanced to second round (x4)