This page is for dissertation fellowships for 2017-2018 (including research fellowships, dissertation completion fellowships, and other predoctoral opportunities).
See also fellowship discussions at theGradCafe: The Bank
- This is an initial post to start the page as in years past - please add calls and information!
RECENT ACTIVITY on Dissertation Fellowships 2017-2018 Wiki Edit
Subscribe to RSS Feed for This Page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Dissertation_Fellowships_2017-2018?feed=rss&action=history
AAUW American Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Applied (x15)
- It says it has been announced and status of apps have been sent but I didn't receive anything? Did anyone else?
- Same here.. no email. (x3)
- Announced here http://www.aauw.org/article/fellowships-and-grant-awardees/ but likewise no e-mail yet. Hopefully sometime today! (4/14 at 6:47am PST)
- I also haven't recieved an email. The website says, " For questions about your status, please email firstname.lastname@example.org." I sent them an email at 10:30 am EST. (x2) EDIT: Just recieved this email in reply: "Thank you so much for contacting us today about the AAUW Dissertation Fellowship. Notifications should go out by tomorrow April 15th. If you have not recieved any sort of notification by the end of the week, please email us back alterting us to the issue."
- >Recieved a rejection email. (4/14 11:45 EST) (x4)
- Received alternate email (4/14, 11:55 EST) (x4)
- Alternate for dissertation writing grant (in Sociology)
- Received acceptance (4/14, 9:07 PST), will decline
- Rejection email. (4/14 around 11:30). Best of luck to all the winners and alternates. Does anyone know when we can see who won?
- I'm an alternate too. Got the email. But for the international fellowship at the doctoral level. Any more of us international fellowship applicants out there? Best of luck to all of us alternates!
- To previous posters-any of you doc students?
- Rejection email 4/14 11:45 EST. I recieved the standard reject letter, and I believe it also stated that we would not be able to obtain any feedback. I wish they'd atleast give us feedback......
- Rejection email 4/14 at 12:45 EST. Drats. Best of luck to everyone else!
AERA Minority Dissertation Fellowship Program in Education Research Edit
- Any news on this? (3/14/17)
ACLS / Mellon Dissertation Completion Fellowships Edit
Deadline: October 26, 2016
Who's applying this year?
- Applying (x16)
Project statement: anyone know whether page numbers in the header need to be adjusted to give a full 1" margin at the top, or whether the page numbers can be in the margin space (as headers typically are)?
Let the waiting commence!
- This wiki is so quiet this season. Glad there are at least a few of us here!
- I felt ok about this application until I read that they got over 1,000 applications last year... Arghhh!!!!!
- It's a total crapshoot, of course, but yay to all of us for even trying!
- Already counting down the days to March.
Already thinking about this!!! I think my chapter draft was a little lame (really not done by October...) but the rest of the app was pretty ok...? ARGHHH !@)*$&!@)(%*)!(
>No real use in fretting about that at this point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ We're at the wily whim of the committee now.
- You got that right! :-)
"Notifications will be sent via email in late March 2017," so says the website...
- Has anyone heard anything yet? (3/10/17)
- Nope... I think they're going later this year (today was the notification day last year)
- Heart attacks for every email notification.
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:15am. Area: Philosophy
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:19am. Area: History. Good luck everyone!
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:07am. Area: Anthropology. Good luck to all waiting to hear!!
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:17am. Area: History. Good luck to everyone!
- Provisional award received 3/13 at 10:38 am. Area: Art History. Good luck!!
Acceptance emails are out. No idea about rejections or alternate notifications.
- Anybody know how many applications they got this year?
Has anyone received a rejection? Or anyone waitlested? idk what this silence means... No rejection yet (x7)
- I wish they'd just send everything out at once! What do they get out of leaving rejection emails til the very end? (Also, :-( )
- I heard from a professor friend at Santa Cruz that one of their students got an acceptance email this morning... its 12:05 on the west coast and I've heard nothing so I'm beginning to think acceptance emails are out :(
- Has anyone been notified of being an alternate yet? I am hopeful that despite acceptances already going out waitlists might still be on their way....
Still no waitlist or rejection email yet... 2:20pm PST March 14 (x7)
- They're probably waiting to see how many people accept?
- Yeah maybe no alternate emails this year, they'll just go down their list after people say no? More likely though is that there are just so few alternates none of them check this site.
- Rejection email received 3/15 at 9:31am EST x8
- Do the rejection emails mention how many applicants there were?
- Rejection. Happy birthday to me.
- "nearly 1,100 applications for 65 awards"
- Rejection. Seriously, fuck academia. What an absolute load of bullshit.
- Are we allowed to ask for application feedback this year?
- I would like to second this question. Has anybody asked for and received feedback on their application?
- I did. This was their response: "ACLS’s reviewing system allows evaluators to provide comments to applicants at their discretion, but providing such feedback is not a required element of the review process for this program. In your case, unfortunately, no reviewers who participated in the assessment of your application designated any comments for release to the applicant." (03/22)
- Can I just say....the email rejection letter was a little terse. Not even a "thanks for your interest in our program," nothing about how "the competition was strong and we regret that we have only 65 awards to give." C'mon ACLS, you guys need to work on your bedside manner. (3/16, but stil stinging)
- Still no waitlist or rejection email yet... 16:00 PST March 20
- Nevermind, the e-mail sent on March 15th "went awry"...rejection lol.
American Academy in Rome, Rome Prize Edit
Who's applying this year?
- Applying (x4)
- Any news of interviews yet?
American Philosophical Society Predoctoral Fellowship Edit
- Rejection, 4/20.
Boston College AADS (African and African Diaspora Studies) Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- I received a phone call from the director on 3/1 but later declined the offer for another fellowship. (3/20)
CAA Professional Development Fellowship Edit
CAORC Mediterranean Regional Research Fellowship Edit
- Applied (x2)
- Received rejection (04/07). Only 7 awards granted.
CASVA Pre-Doctoral Fellowship of the National Gallery of Art Edit
- All quiet over here... has anyone received a call yet? (1/19)
- Nope, nothing yet. Someone suggested to me that the inauguration might be obstructing schedules all over DC, but who knows. (1/19)
- Has anyone heard anything either way? It seems late to be expecting a call by this point... (1/25)
- No news on my end or for anyone I know... it does seem late...(1/25)
- Still crickets over here... anybody have better luck? (1/28)
- Nope, no news good or bad here either (1/30).
- Still nothing here (my first time to update.... with no news)... (2/1).
- Still nothing here either (first time posting) (2/2).
- I've asked around to friends in several departments (Princeton, Harvard, IFA, Hopkins, etc) and no one has heard anything to my knowledge. It's a weird year for CASVA I guess. (2/2).
- Notified of interview received on 1/28 (posting on 2/3)
- Got my rejection via email just now (2/3) -- had an interview call last year so this especially sucks. Sigh.
- Rejection received via email (2/3) - specifies my application made it to the final deliberations but was not chosen for interview
- Rejected as well (2/3), congrats and best of luck to those interviewing!
Center for Jewish History Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- The Center for Jewish History offers ten-month fellowships to doctoral candidates to support original research using the collections of the Center’s partners – American Jewish Historical Society, American Sephardi Federation, Leo Baeck Institute, Yeshiva University Museum, and YIVO Institute for Jewish Research.
- Application deadline: February 2, 2017
- See http://fellowships.cjh.org for more information.
- Any news about this? (April 13) still waiting to hear.
Charlotte W. Newcombe Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Applied x14
Last year, Finalists and Non-finalists were notified on February 16, 2016. The website says that for this round, they will notify finalists and non-finalists by March 15th.
- Feb 21 - Rejection email, was notified that not a finalist. Says that there were 500 applications this year. I didn't want your money anyway! JK tho. x8
- Feb 21 - Received email notification that I am a finalist. More than 500 apps. Top 10% (~50) were selected as finalists, and 20 of those will be chosen as fellows. Finalists have to send in official transcripts at this stage. x2
- March 22 - Email asking finalists to fill out a survey with their current contact information. Results to be delivered next week.
- March 28 - Rejection email. "Please note that it is our policy not to share reviewers’ comments with applicants, and that reapplications are not permitted." x5
- March 29 - Anyone else still waiting to hear? Yes.
- April 5 -- Received Acceptance Letter. I was an alternate. 21 fellowships awarded according to email
- How many alternates got bumped up to acceptances? I don't know. That information wasn't provided. I didn't get the impression it was a long list, however
- Is anyone choosing between the Newcombe and the ACLS/Mellon? If so which one did you pick and why? Based on the numbers, Newcombe seems more competitive and is more flexible, but ACLS provides a bit more money. Thoughts? Is there an obvious answer here? The people that I've known that had to choose between the two went with Newcombe and I'd be interested in knowing why this is the case.
CHATEAUBRIAND FELLOWSHIP (STEM and HSS) Edit
- Applied x2
- Any idea when notifications will begin?
Consortium for Faculty Diversity (Dissertation and Postdoctoral Fellowship Fellowships) Edit
- Has anyone heard anything? – 4/11
DAAD Graduate Research FellowshipEdit
- Acceptance received via email/portal x1 (April 3rd)
Dartmouth College Eastman/Marshall Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- Rejection received 4/5
- Also rejected 4/5
Dolores Liebmann Fellowship Edit
Applied via my institution (1/5)
- Notified as a finalist of my institution; to be forwarded to national pool (1/24)
- Program officer told me they typically notify in May/June
Dumbarton Oaks Junior Fellowship Edit
- Recieved invitation to interview (12/10)
- Accepted via email (2/9)
- Wait List via email (2/10). Any chance someone will turn down a position?
- Rejection (2/10): G&L
- Those who have heard back, which track did you apply to? Garden & Landscape, Pre-Colombian, or Byzantine?
- I'm the 2/9 acceptance: Byzantine.
- 2/10 wait list: Pre-Columbian
Emory University James Weldon Johnson Institute Visiting Fellowship for Pre-Doctoral Scholars Edit
- 4/10- any idea when we'll hear about this one?
- 4/10- received alternate notification right after I posted above x2
- 4/12 received rejection
- 4/17 - I haven't heard anything. How were others notified?
- 4/18- I was notified via email
Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Help! Is anyone getting the validation error "A Ph.D. or Sc.D. degree must be entered in your educational history" even though you've already entered that information into the education form?
- I'm having the exact same issue! Right now I've got listed my institution twice, once as saying I've earned the PhD in 2018, and again as the proposed institution for the fellowship.
- Did exactly the same as the person above
- Did it let you submit the application with that format? I put in an e-mail to the helpline, but it was right around 5pm ET today. It would be nice to be able to submit tonight rather than waiting for their response (if one even comes) tomorrow. --> Submitted this morning. The help people did e-mail early this morning saying that my education materials were validated, but this was only after I had already implemented your workaround. Thanks for helping!!
- 3/2 just want to know what's going to happen with this. From past years, it looks like we can expect updates at the very end of the month. gahhh
- 3/11 Based on some old forums, we should here back around 3/20 if they are on the same schedule as 15/16. Does anyone know how many applicants this fellowship normally gets? Good luck everyone!
- 3/15 well they give 36 awards and 200 honorable mentions or so. So I'd guess they get at least 400 applicants, probably more? I want this so bad.
- 3/21 Now is when I start obsessively checking my email....
- 3/21 Anyone hear anything yet? For both Dissertation Fellowships and Predoc Fellowships?
- 3/22 Still nothing. Fingers crossed for this weekend...
- 3/22 nothing here for pre-doctoral
- 3/22 Notifications Sent Out
- 3/22 11:30AM eastern time : received and accepted offer for dissertation fellowship. Good luck everyone!
- 3/22 alternate for dissertation - English. 600 applicants this year according to letter.
- 3/22 12:07 Eastern: rejection
- please, anyone reporting tell us your discipline, and if awarded, if you will accept or decline.
- 3/22 alternate for dissertation-ecology.
- Congrats and good luck everyone! Alternate notification rec'd for dissertation award (English) 9:11am PST. 600 applicants for 36 awards. Will let you all know if I hear anything else... (3/22)
- 3/22, alternate for dissertation, History (Latin America). If the person from history who won is reading this, I would love to know if you plan on accepting :) x 2
- Rejection for pre-doctoral; email says over 1700 apps, 65 awards.
- honorable mention for dissertation fellowship - education. congrats to the recipients! (3/22)
- 3/22 alternate for dissertation, Literature. Congrats to the recipients
- IF you got it, when do you have to accept or decline? Has anyone called for more information for alternate status? 202.334.2000 please post updates.
- Must accept/decline by April 12
- Will you be accepting?
- 3/22 - contacted Ford they said that it is very rare for someone to decline at the diss levels. so alternates pretty much have been rejected with honors at this point. Bitter pillbox (not just the pill) so is life.
- I Called and was told I cannot be told any information. Anyone get a different story?
- 3/25 any more news for alternates. This might be of interest :http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/84906-ford-foundation-predoctoral-fellowship-2017/?page=3
- Any alternates hear anything? (4/13)
Frederick Douglass Institute for African and African-American Studies Pre-doctoral FellowshipEdit
- >Applied x1
- Rejection received 4/19. for future reference, the website said notifications would be sent early March but they went out over a month later
Fulbright IIE Study/Research Grants Edit
- Gradcafe says that notifications for the semifinalist round came out this week: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/77132-fulbright-2017-2018/ (1/20)
- Gradcafe says that announcements started coming out yesterday. It's a country-by-country thing. (3/10)
Fulbright Hays DDRA 2016-2017 Edit
- Applied x1
Gaius Charles Bolin Dissertation FellowshipEdit
- Anyone have an interview?
- Found out I was not a finalist today, 2/1. (History)
- Found out I was not a finalist today. (Africana Studies) x2
Are we supposed to get interview requests by now? It's a little unclear from past years. Nothing here. (History)
- Found out I was not a finalist 2/1. (English) (x2)
For those that heard back today: Did the notification disclose the number of applicants?
- (over 200)
How were people notified, email?
- Yes, email.
Had an interview back in mid January. Have not heard anything yet. (Environmental Studies)
- Interview in January, nothing since.
- I wonder if the winners have already been notified (x2)
- 02/17. Finalist rejection email. "Final decision had less to do with caliber of application than with the 'fit' of certain scholarly interests with our plans for staffing and the curriculum in the coming year." x4
- I wonder how many finalists there were on the "short list".
Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowship Edit
- Applied predoc x4
- Rejection received via email (2/7) x2
- Also received rejection e-mail (2/7). Email said they got a record number of applications this year.
- Any news on postdoc apps? I haven't heard anything yet (3/1)
- Rejection from postdoc via email (3/23)
Getty Library Research Grant Edit
- Received acceptance e-mail (1/11)
Harry Frank Guggenheim Fellowship Edit
- Applied (x2)
- Does anyone know older colleagues who applied and won this fellowship? Is this fellowship stackable with other opportuniites (ie teaching, other scholarships, etc)?
Henry Luce/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship in American ArtEdit
- Listed as an alternate. (3/6)
- ^did you receive an email?
- Yes, this morning.
- Rejected via email (3/8) x2
- If anyone has information regarding when the acceptance/decline responses are due from the accepted, this alternate would be very grateful to hear it. Congratulations to all that were accepted!
Horowitz Fellowship Edit
- -Applied (x4)
Huntington Library Fellowship Edit
- Applied x2
- Rejected 3/1
- Awarded (3/2/17)
- Applied x1
- Awarded (2/23/17)
IHR Doctoral Fellowship (Scouloudi, Thornley, RHS) Edit
Ithaca College Pre-Doctoral Diversity Fellowship Edit
- Applied X2
- Any updates on this? (03/16) (03/22)
- A professor at IC told me that they had made an offer (3/25, told to me a few weeks ago).
- Was a finalist and did a campus visit (was pretty intense/similar to TT visits done by friends on job market). Did not get the position though. Notified by dept chair after I wrote a follow up email and he checked with Dean's Office; no official rejection yet but I know the other candidate accepted so it's just a matter of time. For next year's applicants, here is the timeline:
- Feb 16: finalist notification from chair of department (asked for a writing sample, 40 min talk tailored for both faculty and students, and 3 LoRs at this point)
- Feb 28: campus visit (they were trying to do them all before Mar 3)
- included 2 dinners with faculty, numerous faculty meetings throughout the day, meeting with students, and dean/assistant dean, job talk with q&a (audience was half students, half faculty)
- Mar 27: I wrote to ask if decisions had been made. Found out on 3/29 that another candidate/dept got the offer and accepted.
- FYI Departments have finalists who are invited to visit; after visits, the departments make their case to the Dean's Office. Ultimately, it's the Dean who decides. There seems to be some tensions about how the hire happens/final decision is made.
Japan Foundation Japanese Studies Fellowship Edit
- Received request for address (Tokyo headquarters) 3/8
Jennings Randolph Peace Scholarship Dissertation Program Edit
Josephine de Karman Fellowship Edit
- Anybody know when they notify?
- Not yet (4/15)
- Not yet. (4/15)
- Not yet (4/18). Anybody hear from them?
- Their website says approx. April 15 (2/20)
- Previous years' wikis show that the committee meets a final time on a Saturday (and April 15 is a Saturday this year...), and that winners are notified by both phone and e-mail on that day.
- I called recently (trying to get confirmation of receipt of application) and the recording said they'll be meeting on the 22nd.
- Good to know. Thanks for the update! (3/24)
- Any news?
- Anyone heard anything?
- silence... (4/22; 4pm PDT) -- nothing here too (4/22, 7.30pm EST)
- probably those who are accepted do not follow here. this one is over, i guess.
- Still nothing (4/23, 12pm PDT)
- Haven't heard anything 4/24 9:20 EST. I doubt they sent out notifications on a weekend.- based on previous years' wiki, they send out notificatjons on saturdays.
- Yeah nothing here yet, 4/24
- idk why my comment above is deleted but here it is again: i called and the recording said that the foundation would meet on april 22nd and successful applicants would receive a phone call on that day and if you did not get a phone call or email on april 22nd, you should assume that you application was not selected. hope this helps.
Koc Research Center for Anatolian Civilizations Residential Fellowship Edit
Kress Foundation History of Art Institutional Fellowships Edit
Lake Institute Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Louisville Institute Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Committee meets around beginning of April. Winners will be notified via email, rejections sent out via snail mail.
- Has anyone heard anything at this point? (4/7)
- Denial received snail mail, 103 applicants (4/8) congrats to those who are awarded it
Mabelle McLeod Lewis Memorial Fund Edit
- Received acceptance e-mail 4/10. E-mail says that official offer letter will be mailed next week.
Marilyn Yarbrough Dissertation/Teaching Fellowship (Kenyon College) Edit
- rejection email 2/7 x2
Has anyone gotten an interview or offer?
- I had a Skype interview yesterday. There will also be flyouts. 
- Does anyone know if they send all of the rejections at the same time? I haven't received one yet and no interview request on my end either, which I assume would've happened by now (2/8)
- Flyouts scheduled. (2/13)
- To the person above. Do you know if all of them have been scheduled? (2/13)
- I suspect so, but don't know.
- Rejection email 2/16 x4
- Had Skype interview, but did not receive campus visit, and was rejected today 3/6/17. "I regret to inform you, however, that we have made a job offer and it has been accepted." Congrats to the recipient!
- Invited for skype interview on 1/27/2017. Skype interview 2/7. Campus visits scheduled 3/13. Visited campus 3/1/17 (final canddiate flyout). Job offered on 3/10/17.
- Will you accept?
Mellon-CES Dissertation Completion Fellowship in European Studies Edit
- Last year, decisions were email between 4/25-29. This year, the website indicates applicants will be notified "no later than the end of April."
- In the couple years prior to last year, looks like acceptances went out as early as between 3/28 and 4/3. So it might not be that much longer after all. (3/22)
- Any news? (4/12) <--- silence so far, for me... x3
- In other years, people didn't begin to hear anything until 4/25 (4/12)
- I hate the waiting. But on the other hand, the application deadline for this grant is so much later than many others, that its waiting time is relatively short. Gotta give 'em credit for something! :-) (4/12)
- Acceptance email received (4/19). Will be accepting the grant.
- Congratulations! In previous years, it looks like acceptances have gone out on (at least) two different days, so hopefully there will be another round shortly. (4/19)
- Yes received. Will likely be declining because luckily got something else. (4/19)
- No news here yet; congrats to those who were offered awards! Hoping for the next round(s) soon. (4/24)
Any news yet?
- Last year it seems that applicants heard back at the end of March/beginning of April. The wait is really long...
- It is indeed:( In last years' posts, I saw that they announce the offers sometime during early March and the rejections later before April 1, and wanted to see if any notifications are out yet.
- It said in the e-mail I recieved when I submitted my application that we would hear "on April 3." That seemed oddly specific, but I'm not really holding out hope that news will come before then.
- A friend who applied last year got her rejection on March 31.
- Waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting (3/14)
- Since April 3 is Monday, I think they can announce it in the last week of March. Also, offers generally come earlier, so I guess the critical time is between March 20 - 31. (3/14)
- Anyone know how many applicants applied last year and how many awards were given out?
- around 450 applicants and 15 recepients
- Any new news yet? (3/21)
- No... Waiting is so brutal. I hope acceptance emails have not been sent yet (3/21)
- Everytime I see someone has posted I freak out and think that the news has finally arrived. But nay, nay. (3/21)
- me too! but the thing is that if the awards have been sent we can never know it because of the policy. Is March 21 too late for any good news?
- At least one successful applicant in a previous wiki (2015/16???) told the group when they received their acceptance. We can hope for the same. That was on 3/25 I think. Maybe there's a bit of hope left? (3/21)
- Acceptance email received (March 22). Offers to be announced over the coming week. X2
- what time did they send the acceptance emails?
- Why are offers to be announced over the coming week? Is that to hedge for those who decline (unlikely)? Sob. Is it over?
- I think it is public announcement. Yes, it is over :(
- Rejection received 3/28
Metropolitan Museum of Art, Art History Fellowships Edit
- Rejection received via email (2/10) x 3
- Accepted via email (2/10) x 1
Miller Center for Politics and History (UVA) Edit
This has moved to a center at UVA and is now called the National Fellowship Program at the Jefferson Scholars Foundation (see here )
- - Does anyone know what the letter of rec instructions are? I can't imagine submitting this very far ahead of the deadline and instructions for letters of rec aren't E-mailed to recommenders until the student submits their whole application. I saw this on the website, "The letter of recommendation should be sent as a PDF attachment to the Jefferson Scholars Foundation at email@example.com<" but am wondering if there are other specifics. Thanks!
- Rejection, 3/27.
MIT SHASS Diversity Predoctoral FellowshipEdit
- 3/27 any updates?
- 3/27 No updates yet. Since the deadline was originally Feb. 15 and got extended to March 1, I think it will take at least another month until we hear from them
- 3/29 - it seems odd to me that the deadline got pushed. Wonder why? Anyone know how many got it last year? Also, it is very late in the game to find out in May, that seems odd. I wonder if people pull their apps if they get other things.
- 3/29- their application requirements weren't posted until early/mid January, so I think they pushed the deadline because they didn't receive enough applications by February 15
- 4/6 -- Still no news here, anyone get anything? What can be done to not go crazy waiting? I am asking for a friend. =)
- 4/7- haven't heard anything yet either. also trying not to go crazy, you're not alone!
- 4/14 - Still no news! We will get through this!!
- 4/19- news, anyone?
- 4/19- nothing here. Well if only the people here applied, we all got it. Congratulations!
- do we know how they will notify? emails or phone calls like josephine de karman does?
- 4/19- last year they emailed
Acceptances sent out -- 4/20/2017
- 4/20- acceptance received via email
- What time?
- 9:45 AM EST
- Will you be accepting?
- yes, I've already accepted
- 4/20 Congratulations. When did you receive acceptance email? Anyone who received a rejection or a waitlist?
- My guess is that those that did not get accepted today, will probably be rejected or waitlist tomorrow if not later today.
- thanks. 9:45 AM EST
- 4/20 received my acceptance via email at 9:47 AM EST. I've already accepted another fellowship and will decline, fyi.
- What is your deadline to accept? I wonder if they will take less than 7 people, or if they will have a waitlist to draw from?
- they didn't give us a strict deadline to accept but the letter said to let them know "at our earliest convenience" or something along those lines
- Has anyone received a rejection? I have not heard anything yet, I wonder if this means I am on a waitlist. And I second the question above, what is the deadline to accept?
- what should we assume if we have not received a rejection yet?
- It doesn't seem like anyone has been rejected yet. So I am not sure. I was hoping it meant we were waitlisted, but it might just mean that we are waiting to be rejected. They might not have an outright waitlist. They might just test the waters and see who accepts, and based on that reach out to people. After a few weeks they might finally reject everyone else. Not sure.
- hope those who know that they will be declining the offer, decline soon. please :)
NAEd/Spencer Dissertation Fellowship Program Edit
- Deadline October 6, 2016 at 5 pm EST.
- Applied x3
- Q: there are first and second round notifications for the Spencer Dissertation Fellowship, correct? can anyone shed light on when first round cuts might be made?
- I believe they cut the total group down to a smaller group in March, and notify people then. In the past they have made their final notifications after AERA. FWIW, I just noticed a bad typo in my application, so that's one less person you'll have to compete with!
- Thanks for the reply! Jeez 6-8 months is a LONG review period. And I feel your pain on the typos, let's hope overall package > individual typos.
- Was able to sign into my application portal, status is listed as "Drafting." (2/7)
- Update -- I'm the same person as above -- my status in my application portal has shifted to "Submitted." No clue what this means, if anything! (2/10)
- I'm unable to log into my portal. Looks like all the links to apply have been removed. (2/13)
- Try this link: https://www.gdg.do/router/servlet/Portal?c=4348801&p=4739686&g=4741168 (2/14)
- My application status is back to "drafting" now. I wish it would just say "rejected" or something concrete so I can move on! (2/21)
- This is what I've been told regarding the review process: all apps are read by a single reviewer and given a yes/no, and making it past that first screening seems to be a bit of a wildcard. I was told by faculty that great proposals get reject off the bat, and very mediocre ones can get through, simply based on the single reviewer. However, once the field is narrowed, the entire committee looks and the process is much more stringent. Seems like the winenrs are definitely the best of that narrowed group, but great proposlas don't always get to the full review ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Whaat?! Thanks for sharing, but UGH. If this is indeed the process, I have very little confidence! Most major fellowship applications at least have 2-3 faculty reading each application so they can check one another. Do you know how many finalists they choose?
- Got an email at 9:54am CST that I am one of 65 semi-finalists! (2/22/17)
- Semi-finalist notifications went out this morning! (2/22/17) They narrowed about 350 applications down to 65. 35 will receive awards -- final decisions coming in May!
- Rejection email (2/22/17)
- I am a semi-finalist! Any tips for the final round? (2/22/17)
- Me too! Not sure I have much to share in terms of tips. Submit the budget & timeline revisions, and hope for the best at the full committee meeting in May! A little over half of semi-finalists will receive awards, so the odds are good.
- how should the budget be formatted? (3/04/17)
- I plan to use the fellowship entirely for living expenses-- so I'm just doing a simple word doc with lines to estimate rent/utilities, meals/incidentals, books and supplies, transportation, and tax liability-- a total at the bottom. Then below it I have a separate heading where I explain whether I expect additional funding. (3/9/17)
- thanks! and congrats to all of the semi-finalists! (3/21/17)
Does anyone know when the NAEd/Spencer review panel meets (before or after AERA, which is Apr 27-May 1 this year)? Does anyone know how long it usually takes to hear who won after the panel? The notification for this fellowship is so painfully late in the spring, I need to make plans! Eek...
- final decisions in may. that's all i know. (4/13/17)
NSF Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant Edit
Political Science 6/15/16
- Panels met in October. Have any notices been sent out? (12/27)
- No word here. Anyone else? (12/28)
- Proposal was recommended for funding (1/17)
- Still pending (1/31)
- Rejected (2/2)
- Review panel met (3/20); status still pending (3/27)
Cultural Anthropology 1/17/17
- Applied (x1)
- Review panels met 3/20-21; status still "pending" (3/28)
- Did anyone else's program officer change? (3/29)
- Yes! Program officer changed sometime in last 2 weeks I believe. I requested co-review with policy, so I thought that might have been why. Still pending. (3/29)
- Also had PO change (3/27), but did not request co-review; not sure what ths means.
- Declined (change of status in Fastlane, no email to PI yet that I know of) (4/4); best of luck to all!
- Decline via Fastlane. Reviews are up. (4/5)
- Thanks to above posters for the updates. My status is still pending. Not sure if this is a good sign or not. (4/5)
- Same re "pending" status (4/5), but in previous years, rejections have been rolled out through several weeks, so hard to tell.
- (4/10) Saw my "decline" upon logging into Fastlane. Will be revising and resubmitting.
- Review panel met for mine (3/23), status still pending (4/12).
Anyone still pending?
If one is recommended for funding by the review panel, and there is also an R&R category, why might one end up being declined? (Note from PO said the review panel had declined, which was not the case upon receiving the reviews).
- It sometimes happens that the panels select too many applications for funding, and then there is some kind of back and forth between the panel and the PO in order to reduce the number of applicants receiving funding. This happened to me when I applied - the panel had recommended me for funding, but then there were too many applicants recommended for funding, so ulimately I got demoted to R&R, "competitive" (this was several years ago, so I'm not sure if they're still using these categories). My panel summary did include a note from the PO that explained what had happened. If yours doesn't include that info, I'm not sure what happened and I think it would be worth sending an e-mail to the PO asking for clarification.
Notre Dame Institute for Advanced Study Edit
- Applied x1
Penn Predoctoral Fellowships for Excellence through Diversity Edit
- Any updates on this? (3/16)
- No word yet. Judging from previous years, I'm guessing we'll hear by early April. Not sure though (3/16)
- I received my offer this morning (and will accept). They said we have until April 1st to decide, so if anyone declines I suppose that's when they'd reach out to alternates. Best of luck! (3/20)
- Did you have to interview prior to receiving the offer?
- No, I didn't interview.
- Congrats! I received my e-mail rejection today (3/21)
- Also received rejection today. Congrats! (3/21)
- Thirding the 3/21 rejection. Congrats!
Robert N. Ho Family Foundation for Buddhism Studies/ACLS Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Did anyone else apply for this grant? We should be hearing any day now based on the experience from previous years.
- -Fingers crossed! Good luck.
- - Good Luck to you too!!! :-)
- This year they seem to be letting us wait a bit longer than last year. Has anyone heard anything from them? (3/27)
- - still nothing (3/31)
- - same here (4/1) - I think they would contact us regardless of whether we're selected or rejected, right? If nothing happens, I give them a call next week. <-- Thank you!
- - 4/6 rejection. hope things worked out better for the other people posting on here!
- - I'm sorry to hear that! I got rejected too (4/6) - even though it doesn't change anything, it's still amazing how this can blow one's confidence! Onward and upward!!!
Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations (SHAFR) Dissertation Completion Grant Edit
SSRC - IDRF Edit
- Transcript request 1/26/17 x6
- Does anyone know what the transcript requests mean? Past forums differ in terms of this; some people received the award without getting a transcript request while others didn't; does the transcript request indicate the middle pile?
- RE: From what I remember when my cohort applied, a transcript request is a "you made it to the second round!" I don't know anyone personally who has won in an award without getting a transcript request. So if you got one, awesome, you've moved on to the next round and may or may not receive a grant. If you didn't get one (again, in my experience knowing perhaps a dozen people who've applied) you are out of the running and will receive a formal letter to your mailing address in a few weeks.
- RE: Thank you for this info!
- RE: Did anyone receive a transcript request after 1/26/17?
- RE: Have rejection letters gone out? (2/5/17)
- Someone reported on the gradcafe forum (see SSRC IDRF thread under 'bank') that they received a rejection yesterday via snail mail (2/7).
- Confirmed. My friend received his rejection in the mail yesterday. It was postmarked 2/2 (2/7).
- RE: When will acceptances be? Any guesses? (3/24/17)
- looks like last year most were notified 4/11
- Just received a rejection email today (4/10).
- Received acceptance email (4/10)
- Received acceptance email at 1:53 eastern time
- Recieved rejection (4/10)
Smith Richardson Foundation, World Politics & Statecraft Fellowship Edit
- Rejected (2/27)
Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program (SIFP) (Predoctoral)Edit
American Art Musem (SAAM)
- Applied x3
- Does anyone know when we will hear from them?
- In my application year, I recived my fellowship acceptance on the 1st of March
- Rejection received via SOLAA 3/1 x3 ... go team.
National Museum of Natural History (SNMNH)
- 2/28 - Received automated email from app system, checked app in SOLAA, which shows application status "appointed"! Cautious yay, I haven't received an email from a human yet. I applied through the Big 10 program so it's possible this round of selection was done earlier than the larger pool of applicants.
- On the site it says notification no later than April 7.
Soroptimist [Founder Region Fellowship] Edit
Tufts University Mellon Comparative Global Humanities Dissertation Fellowship Edit
Tobin Project Graduate Fellowship and Workshop Edit
Tobin Project Prospectus Development Workshop Edit
University of California Santa Barbara Black Studies Dissertation Fellowship Edit
- Applied x1
Rejection received 4/14
University of Southern California (USC) Shoah Foundation Center for Advanced Genocide Research Fellowships Edit
Katz; Greenberg; and Breslauer, Rutman, and Anderson fellowship applications are due Feburary 15, 2016. . Each fellowship provides $4,000 support and will be awarded to an outstanding advanced- standing Ph.D. candidate from any discipline for dissertation research focused on testimony from the USC Shoah Foundation Visual History Archive and other USC resources. The recipient will be required to spend one month in residence at the USC Shoah Foundation Center for Advanced Genocide Research during the 2017-2018 academic year.
Award decisions for this fellowship will be based on the originality of the research proposal and its potential to advance research with testimonies in the USC Shoah Foundation Visual History Archive or other unique genocide research resources at USC. The fellow will be expected to provide the Center with fresh perspectives, to play a role in Center activities, and to give a public talk during the stay.
To submit an application, please send a cover letter (including proposed dates of residency), CV, proposal abstract (1-3 pages), writing sample, and recommendation letter from your PhD advisor by February 15, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please visit https://sfi.usc.edu/news/2016/10/12498-call-applications-2017-2018-breslauer-rutman-and-anderson-research-fellowship to see the full call for applications.
- For more information about the center and the Visual History Archive, please visit: http://sfi.usc.edu/cagr
UT Austin Harry Ransom Center Research Fellowships Edit
Dissertation Fellowships: Applied x2
- Received a dissertation fellowship offer on 3/30.
1-3 Month Fellowships:
Wenner-Gren dissertation fieldwork grant Edit
- I hear rejection and round-two notifications have started coming out! Still no email here :/ (2/10)
- I recieved my round-two, as did a friend. (2/10)
- Received email, advanced to round two. (2/10)
- Congratulations to all who advanced! Being reminded of the first-round criteria leaves me wondering what kinds of assessments our proposals will be subjected to in the next round...yikes! (2/12)
- Looks like last year final notifications were sent out 4/7 and 4/8
- and the year before on the 15th, so...
- Rejected via email 4/14 x3
- Any acceptance yet?
- "There is no need for you to reapply for the upcoming May 1st deadline at this time." via email from Funding Review. 4/14
- Got an email asking to submit a revised budget based on a different mileage rate and to verify that I'm not being funded by any other sources. This line was included as well "There is no need for you to reapply for the upcoming May 1st deadline at this time." (4/14)
- Has anyone gotten their official letter yet?
Winterthur Dissertation FellowshipEdit
Woodrow Wilson Dissertation Fellowship in Women's Studies Edit
- Applied x3
- Agghhh shouldn't we be hearing back this week about finalist status? Every other year it's been way before the 15th
- No news yet (1/12 - 2:24pm PST)
- Still no news!
- You don't think they would wait to notify until Sunday do you?
- I was wondering the same thing because I did not think they would wait until the weekend to notify us because I didn't think they worked. But I do remember for an NSF grant I applied to, they notified applicants on the weekend. I wish everyone that applied to WW good luck!
- Aaaarrghh where is this email? :(
- Any news?
- NOPE! First time in years they don't announce as scheduled
- No news!
- This is getting absurd. (10:51 1/17)
- Just got the rejection email. 10:57am est on 1/17 (x2)
- Received notice of finalists on 1/17. Said there were 200+ applicants, 10 will receive the award. Asked to send official transcripts by 1/26 (x2)
- Received finalist rejection 2/8. Congrats to the ten recipients!
Yale ISS Smith Richardson Predoctoral Fellowship Edit
The Smith Richardson Foundation Predoctoral Fellowships are three one-year positions for students who are enrolled in a PhD program, have completed all coursework, and are working on a doctoral dissertation in the area of history, political science, or related disciplines. We welcome candidates exploring questions of statecraft, grand strategy, or naval or maritime history. We seek to attract outstanding junior scholars from around the globe whose research addresses questions lasting importance and demonstrates excellence in one of a range of academic disciplines and methodologies. If a suitable candidate is found, one fellowship will be designated to support the maritime and naval studies initiative at International Security Studies.
Predoctoral fellows are expected to use their time at Yale to conduct original research, advance their dissertation, and prepare manuscripts for publication. They work closely with Yale faculty in history, political science, and other disciplines, as well as with an active academic community of other postdoctoral and predoctoral fellows. A member of the Yale faculty will serve as a mentor during the fellowship and will meet on a regular basis with the fellow. Predoctoral fellows participate regularly in research colloquia on campus and are granted opportunities to present their work. They are expected to remain in residence through the duration of their fellowship and contribute to the intellectual life of the Program in Grand Strategy and International Security Studies by participating in its activities and development.The stipend is $25,000 per year, with an additional $3,000 in research expenses. Each fellow is provided shared office space. Fellows will not be eligible for Yale financial aid or degrees, nor will they be allowed to enroll in or teach classes. You can apply on-line via Interfolio.
Yale ISS Henry A. Kissinger Predoctoral Fellowship Edit
The Henry A. Kissinger Visiting Scholars Program awards one predoctoral fellowship funded for one year. Predoctoral Kissinger Visiting Scholars must be enrolled in a PhD program, have completed all coursework, and be working on a PhD dissertation focused on the role of the United States in the conduct of statecraft, diplomacy, and grand strategy. Kissinger Visiting Scholars fellowships will be awarded to candidates with outstanding proposals that require access to the Henry A. Kissinger Papers or other archival holdings related to American diplomacy at Yale (http://web.library.yale.edu/digital-collections/kissinger-collection; http://guides.library.yale.edu/american-diplomacy-primary-sources). They will pursue original research for academic publication using these sources.
Kissinger Visiting Scholars will also work with an active academic community of post-doctoral associate fellows and pre-doctoral fellows, as well as Yale faculty in history, political science, and other disciplines. A member of the Yale faculty will serve as a mentor during the fellowship and will meet on a regular basis with the fellow.
Predoctoral Kissinger Visiting Scholars work closely with Yale faculty, participate regularly in research colloquia on campus, and are granted opportunities to present their work. Predoctoral Kissinger Visiting Scholars are expected to remain in residence through the duration of their fellowship and contribute to the intellectual life of the Program in Grand Strategy, International Security Studies, and the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs by participating in its activities and development.
All fellows must be in residence in New Haven or its environs during their fellowship year. Eligible candidates will have completed the archival research for their doctoral dissertation, and winners will be expected to use the award to make substantial progress in writing their dissertation. Applications from non-U.S. citizens are welcome, but successful applicants bear final responsibility for all immigration-related issues.
The stipend is $25,000 per year, with an additional $3,000 in research expenses. Each fellow is provided shared office space. Fellows will not be eligible for Yale financial aid or degrees, nor will they be allowed to enroll in or teach classes. You can apply on-line via Interfolio.