TITLE Communication Specialist
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION Service Employees International Union-United Healthcare Workers West (SEIU-UHW) is one of the largest unions of hospital workers in the western United States, with more than 80,000 members.
Our members are frontline caregivers, including respiratory care practitioners, dietary, environmental services and nursing staff who keep Californians healthy.
We live and work throughout California: from the Bay Area to Sacramento and Los Angeles to the Central Valley.
Our union of healthcare workers is driven to improve the healthcare system. Our mission is to provide quality care for all patients, expand access to excellent, affordable healthcare for all Californians and improve living standards for all workers.
The majority of SEIU-UHW members work in the state's largest private sector health systems' hospitals and clinics, including Kaiser Permanente, Dignity Health, Sutter Health, Tenet, Prime and Daughters of Charity.
SEIU-UHW members have an ambitious plan that includes committing our union to improving healthcare quality and outcomes, lowering cost and expanding access and providing a platform for healthcare providers to advocate for a more just healthcare system. We are looking for either experienced, senior-level or entry-level communications staff to work on exciting campaigns.
The Communications Department of SEIU United Healthcare Workers-West handles all aspects of communications in support of our organizing, legislative and contract bargaining campaigns.
• Work with team and independently to develop creative ways to communicate with members and non-members, particularly using new media skills including but not limited to FB, Twitter, effective email, text messaging and other social media;
• Create communications strategies, budgets, messaging documents and timelines;
• Conceptualize, shoot and edit video projects for quick use in social media, or slightly longer for presentations;
• Write, edit and produce direct mail, flyers, brochures and other traditional literature;
• Write, edit and distribute press releases, letters to the editor and op-eds;
• Make outreach calls to reporters and cultivate relationships with media;
• Train workers and staff to be effective spokespeople and story-tellers;
• Write, edit and produce paid media (online, print, radio, etc.);
• Help create and maintain websites;
• Create effective messaging and concepts for signage and promotional materials.
• Excellent ability to work closely with a team, accommodate requests from team members, and assimilate input from multiple sources;
• Experience with social media;
• Excellent inter-personal skills, an enthusiastic attitude and a commitment to contribute to a positive work environment;
• An ability and commitment to modeling pro-active leadership behavior and skills;
• The ability, experience, energy and enthusiasm to take responsibility for whole communications campaigns and pro-actively see each component through to a successful conclusion;
• Deep commitment to the labor movement and progressive causes;
• Excellent visual, written and verbal communications skills.
• BA or higher;
• At least 2 years experience working in communications for progressive political campaigns, non-profit organization or union;
• Proficiency in MS Office programs and design programs such as InDesign and Photoshop,
• Experience shooting and editing video and taking good quality photos;
• Must thrive in an environment with tight deadlines; changing priorities, high-pressure and irregular hours;
• Written placement test required of all applicants.
SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit package.
SALARY SEIU-UHW offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a generous benefit
EOE STATEMENT SEIU-UHW is an affirmative action employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, or disability.
This position is currently accepting applications.