Positions in Arabic Linguistics, Literature, and Language Teaching in academia and beyond, 2016/17 job application season.
Last Year's Page: Arabic 2015-2016
RECENT ACTIVITY (RSS Feed) Edit
- Loading RSS data...
Subscribe to RSS Feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/Arabic_2016-2017?feed=rss&action=history
Other employment sitesEdit
TENURE-TRACK POSITIONS Edit
American University of Beirut (LEB) - Assistant Professor in Modern Arabic Literature and Literary Theory - Deadline: Oct. 31Edit
American University of Beirut (LEB)- Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language (Open Rank). Deadline: 31 OctEdit
American University of Sharjah (UAE) - Assistant/Associate Professor of Modern Arabic Literature. Deadline: 24 OctEdit
American University of Sharjah (UAE) - Assitant/Associate Professor in Teaching Arabic as a Foreign Language (TAFL). Deadline: 24 OctEdit
- We welcome applications from exceptional scholars with a research specialism in Arabic studies that fits with the research priorities of the School of Modern Languages and Cultures. We would especially invite applications from candidates in literary or visual studies. The post is also open to candidates who specialise in comparative literary, cultural and/or visual studies.
- NOTE: This is a Lecturer position in the UK system, which is comparable to tenure-track Assistant Professor in the US system and includes a 3-year probationary period.
- An early Associate Professor of Arabic language and cultures, modern Arabic literature, or interdisciplinary Middle East Studies, with an established record of program-building in any of these areas, and preference for a secondary concentration in French.
- Preference given to applications in by 9/10; open until filled.
- Applicants should be at the rank of Associate or Full Professor. The preferred field of specialization is pre-modern Arabic Islamic texts and traditions or classical Arabic language and literature. Areas of expertise may include Qur'an and tradition literature, pre-Islamic poetry, philosophy, Islamic theology, belles-lettres, and Arabic grammar and lexicography, among others.
University of Cambridge (UK) - Reader or Senior University Lecturer in Classical Arabic Studies. Deadline: 30 NovEdit
- The main area covered by the post is Classical Arabic Studies with specialism in one or more of the following: legal thought (fiqh); dialectical theology and/or philosophy (kalam/falsafah); Qur’an and Qur’anic exegesis (tafsir); history (tarikh).
- Earned Ph.D. in Arabic Studies or related field in hand by May 30, 2017; primary specialization in classical Arabic literature with ability to teach a broader chronological spectrum of Arabic texts through the contemporary period; native or near native fluency in Arabic. Preferred Qualifications: Research and/or teaching interests in any of the following areas: Maghrebi and/or Mediterranean Studies; Judeo-Arabic culture and literature; classical antiquity and Arabic thought; medieval to early modern Arabic historiography.
- Preference will be given to candidates who could teach one undergraduate course in French per year, along with three in Arabic. Specialization is open, but those with expertise in linguistics, pedagogy, classical Arabic, medieval studies, or global studies are especially encouraged to apply.
RESEARCH FELLOWSHIPS AND POSTDOCSEdit
NON-TENURE TRACK (LECTURER / INSTRUCTOR / ADMINISTRATOR)Edit
- Starting date SPRING 2017.
Michigan State University (MI) - Fixed Term Position in Arabic Language Teaching. Deadline: 1 DecEdit
University of Maryland College Park (MD) - Senior Lecturer in Arabic. Deadline: 15 Nov or until filledEdit
- Job requires a Bachelor’s degree. Must have some graduate coursework in Arabic language, Arabic pedagogy, or related field. Must have the following prior experience: Experience teaching Arabic calligraphy; Experience teaching 2 Arabic dialects.
University of Nevada Reno (NV) - Lecturer, World Languages and Literatures (Arabic) - Deadline: Oct. 28Edit
- All applications must be received by October 28, 2016. For complete position description and to apply, go to https://www.unrsearch.com/postings/21952.
NON-ACADEMIC POSITIONS FOR PHDs/ABDsEdit