Back to: History 2017-18
Last Year's Page: African/Middle East History 2016-17
When posting new jobs:
- Please try to follow the format of existing posts
- Use the 'Preview' button to check for errors before hitting 'Publish';
- Please include a link to the original advert in the heading.
- When posting new jobs, please use Heading 2 for new categories, and Heading 3 for jobs.
- Add entries in alphabetical order. (Note that "University of X" should be alphabetized by U as first sort, and X as second sort within the U listings.
Recent Edits (RSS Feed)Edit
Loading RSS data...
Subscribe to RSS feed for this page: http://academicjobs.wikia.com/wiki/African/Middle_East_History_2017-18?feed=rss&action=history
Gonzaga University (USA:WA)- ModernEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Modern Middle East and/or Modern Africa (from 1800)
- PhD should be in hand by 1 Aug. 2018
- Candidates should have experience teaching History of World Civilization II
- To apply or view the complete position description, please visit our website at www.gonzaga.edu/jobs . Applicants must complete an online application. Inquiries can be directed to Dr. Robert Donnelly, Chair, History Department, email@example.com.
- Deadline: 16 Oct. 2017.
University of Michigan (USA: MI) - Pre-Modern Arabic CultureEdit
- 9-month Tenure track Assistant Professorship or tenured Associate Professorship in Pre-Modern Arabic culture, to begin 1 Sept. 2018.
- We seek to hire an innovative scholar with a specialization in law, theology, or philosophy, or any combination of those fields. Preference will be given to candidates working on questions of social history, gender and sexuality, or critical theory.
- For a department that prides itself on collaborations across disciplinary, chronological, and linguistic boundaries we seek a colleague who can complement existing faculty strengths in Middle Eastern Studies, history and literature in NES and at the University of Michigan.
- Candidates must hold a Ph.D. at the time of the appointment, and have native or near-native proficiency in English and Arabic. It is expected that they will have experience in curriculum development and will be committed to maintaining and enhancing the long-standing excellence of Arabic Studies at the University. Candidates must produce evidence of substantial, innovative research in their fields of specialization. The successful candidate will offer undergraduate and graduate courses in their area of specialization, and be prepared to also teach content courses in Arabic. Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s training and experience.
- Please submit a cover letter with a statement of teaching philosophy and experience, a statement of current and future research plans, evidence of teaching excellence, samples of syllabi and publications, and curriculum vitae. In addition, candidates should send three letters of recommendation.
- Application materials must be submitted electronically. Please go to https://webapps.lsa.umich.edu/Apply/1079 to apply.
- To be assured consideration, applications must be received by 15 Oct. 2017.
- Also posted at Religious Studies 2017-2018
Loyola University, Maryland (USA:MD) - Sub-Saharan, pref. ModernEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Sub-Saharan African History (with a preference for the modern period), to begin August 2018.
- PhD should be in hand by start date
- Teaching Load 3/3 including "a 100-level survey of African history and a rotating sequence of undergraduate upper-division courses in her or his specialty." Participation in Loyola's African and African American Studies program is likely.
- To apply, please visit https://careers.loyola.edu/ to submit a cover letter, teaching evaluations, CV, three letters of recommendation, and a copy of graduate transcripts. Paper applications will not be accepted. Questions regarding the position or users of Interfolio recommendations should contact Dr. Sara Scalenghe, Chair African Search Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline: 1 Nov. 2017.
- Intend to interview at the AHA.
Loyola University New OrleansEdit
- One-year VAP: African, South Asian, or Southeast Asian history.
- teaching load 4/4, World History
- deadline June 28, 2017
Stanford University (USA:CA) - Sub-SaharanEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Sub-Saharan African History, to begin 1 Sept. 2018
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- All regions and all time periods will be considered. Applicants will be expected to teach courses at both the graduate and undergraduate levels and to participate in the Center for African Studies activities
- Application materials must be submitted on-line via AcademicJobsOnline.org. https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/9372 . Please submit a letter of application, a brief statement of research interest, curriculum vitae, three letters of recommendation, one short (chapter- or article-length) writing sample, and descriptions of three African history courses.
- For full consideration: 5 Sept. 2017.
- Assistant Professorship in African History, to begin Aug. 2018
- A Ph.D. is preferred, but ABDs will be considered.
- Teaching Load: 3/3 "Teaching responsibilities include survey courses on early and early modern African history, upper-level courses in the area of expertise, and history methodology and research courses. Successful candidates will present evidence of excellence in teaching; the department strongly values student mentoring and active learning"
- Please submit a letter of application, a CV, a statement on how the applicant will contribute to the university's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and three letters of recommendation online at https://jobs.susqu.edu/. Any inquiries should be sent to the department head, Dr. Edward Slavishak, email@example.com
- Review begins: 1 Oct. 2017.
University of Pennsylvania (USA:PA) - [Open rank] West African History, pre-colonial to late 19th centuryEdit
- Tenured/Tenure-track position as Assistant, Associate or Full Professor, in the history of West Africa
- Candidates should apply online at http://facultysearches.provost.upenn.edu/postings/1192. Please attach a letter of application, curriculum vitae, and research statement. Applications for an Assistant Professor position should also include the contact information of three individuals who have agreed to provide letters of recommendation. Recommenders will be contacted by the University with instructions on how to submit letters to the website
- Review begins: 16 Oct. 2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
Harvard University (USA:MA) - ModernEdit
- Tenure-track professor in modern Middle East history, with an emphasis on the Arab world from the late Ottoman to the contemporary era, to begin 1 Jul. 2018
- Doctorate or terminal degree in History or related discipline by the time the appointment begins.
- Please submit the following materials through the ARIeS portal (http://academicpositions.harvard.edu/postings/7724) - Cover letter, Curriculum Vitae, Teaching statement (describing teaching approach and philosophy), Research statement, Publications and writing samples, Names and contact information of 3-5 referees, who will be asked by a system-generated email to upload a letter of recommendation once the candidate’s application has been submitted. Three letters of recommendation are required, and the application is considered complete only when at least three letters have been received.
- For full consideration: 15 Oct. 2017 although applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
University of Pennsylvania (USA:PA) - OttomanEdit
- Tenure track assistant professorship in Ottoman History
- We welcome a range of scholarship in Ottoman history, including transnational and imperial perspectives as well as approaches that address the political, ethnic, and religious diversity of the Ottoman world. Specialists from any period in Ottoman history may apply. We expect that the successful candidate will be able to teach the broad sweep of the empire’s history
- PhD must be in hand by start date
- Submit applications online at http://facultysearches.provost.upenn.edu/postings/1146. Please include letter of application, curriculum vitae, writing sample approximately 7500 words in length, and the contact information of three individuals who will provide letters of recommendation. Recommenders will be contacted by the University with instructions on how to submit letters to the website. If the writing sample is part of a dissertation or other major project, include an abstract explaining the sample’s relationship to the larger work
- Review begins: 15 Sept. 2017 and continues until position filled.